PCI-e 2.0 card for an older computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI-e 2.0 card for an older computer

I have been looking at upgrading my rig for some time. Money is a bit tight so the thought was to buy it a bit at a time starting with a new graphics card. I don't need bleeding edge, but I do want something that will last a few years. So after some specking on newegg and other sites I was looking at getting a 4870 with at least 1 gig ram. (not sure on maker yet, most likely Sapphire or Asus)

The problem that I have run into is PCI-e 2.0. My current mother board is the Asus A8NE. I know it has a PCI-e 16x port, however, considering it is almost 4 years old, I doubt it is running a 2.0 port. I have seen mention that 2.0 cards should be reverse compatible to pci-e 1.1, but again, I have no idea what my mother board is running. While I know the physical shape of the PCI-e 16x port did not change from 1.0 to 2.0, the question I have is if I were to pick up a new 4870 card, would it work in my current computer?

| |

My friends call me Y. My enemies call me... well, that's a secret.

"The only reason I team killed you is because I though you were already dead...
    ...Oh god, I just know that is going in someones signature" - Eroak

Re: PCI-e 2.0 card for an older computer

A 2.0 card works fine in a 1.0 motherboard slot.

And might I suggest you look at the HIS card with the ICE cooler. I have posted a bunch of reviews for the card here, in both 4850 and 4870 forms, and the reviews are always good. And the main downside with the 48** series, which is they run really hot, is fixed with the Ice cooler.

Link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161265

$260 after rebate, though they are out of stock right now (that is a really good deal)

The 512 version is $220
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161264

Though the card we talked about here:

EVGA SuperSuper clocked GTX 260 55nm at 675MHz tested

is about the same price and tends to kick major ass, and either one would last you a few years............
    Just make sure you power supply is up to the task :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have the same MB. Yes the new 4870 will work.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Thanks for the fast response guys.

Bamboo: I'll take a look at those cards you recommended.

| |

Comment

Pci-2.0 is pretty new, but as the rest have said it will work, pci 2.0 can use 8 pin power with a compatible PSU to deliver more power when needed, pci 1 uses a 6 pin power, plus pci 2 has more bandwidth to play with than pci 1 but you will have no problems running the card.

Comment

There's a difference in the 512 and 1GB cards too, so I would suggest skipping the 512.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
              Pci-2.0 is pretty new, but as the rest have said it will work, pci 2.0 can use 8 pin power with a compatible PSU to deliver more power when needed, pci 1 uses a 6 pin power, plus pci 2 has more bandwidth to play with than pci 1 but you will have no problems running the card.
              I was 90% sure it that it would work with my old board, I just thought I would check and see to be safe. No point in spending $250 bucks if I cannot use it. :row__573:

The plan is still to upgrade the rest of my system in the next few months However, my current graphics card is by far the weakest link in my system. It's the equivalent of a Geforce 6600 with only 128 ram and it has started to effect my work. (I do a lot of 3d work: 3ds max, Zbrush) The fact that I cannot run battlefield 2142 on anything but low or medium settings, and that I cannot even run Unreal III also played a part.

I have a Sapphire 4870 with 1 gig of mem on its way from newegg. It should be here in the morning and in my rig 20 minutes after that. :)

Thanks again for the help guys.

| |

Comment

I also play around with 3ds max and such and you are right to purchase a good card and also maybe look at adding more ram as 3D can be very memory intensive as you may well know.

Comment

Originally posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
                  I was 90% sure it that it would work with my old board, I just thought I would check and see to be safe. No point in spending $250 bucks if I cannot use it. :row__573:

The plan is still to upgrade the rest of my system in the next few months However, my current graphics card is by far the weakest link in my system. It's the equivalent of a Geforce 6600 with only 128 ram and it has started to effect my work. (I do a lot of 3d work: 3ds max, Zbrush) The fact that I cannot run battlefield 2142 on anything but low or medium settings, and that I cannot even run Unreal III also played a part.

I have a Sapphire 4870 with 1 gig of mem on its way from newegg. It should be here in the morning and in my rig 20 minutes after that. :)

Thanks again for the help guys.
                  Whether or not it maxes the 1.1 link, it's still going to be far powerful and it'll still be there when you maybe one day get a 2.0 board ;)
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

it'll still be there when you maybe one day get a 2.0 board
                    ie. futureproofed! Oh yeah! :row__631:

I have a Sapphire 4870 with 1 gig of mem on its way from newegg. It should be here in the morning and in my rig 20 minutes after that.
                    Let us know how that puppy runs, but I will say that going from the card you had and the one you have bought, you may very well be overcome with emotion and an intense feeling of pony love!...:madsmile:

Comment

It's a great card Y, you'll love it!

Comment

I also have an Asus A8NE motherboard and i was wondering if i can run a HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4 1GB PCIe 2.0?

Comment

Red, welcome to the forums.
                          According to ASUS:
                          http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...3&l2=15&l3=171

you have a PCI-Ex16, so you can run a 4850 just fine.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

So it doesn't matter if its a 2.0 video card?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              A 2.0 card works fine in a 1.0 motherboard slot.
                              quote for the win
                              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...