Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is putting together Core i7 Systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is putting together Core i7 Systems?

Just curious who is putting together Core i7 systems, what motherboard and memory you chose and why?
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Who is putting together Core i7 Systems?

I am! I used the ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard and the CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

As a first time system builder, I picked these because they came highly recommended.

Unfortunately it isn't running at the moment as I do believe I picked up a defective graphics card, but what can you do.

Comment

Wow thats an expensive motherboard.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I just ordered a Foxconn Bloodrage MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=bloodrage and G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231230. I chose the board because it overclocks well, has a nice waterblock and looks cool. I got the memory because it was cheap low latency tri channel ram. I'm sure I will be able to oc the ram. Also I have these heat spreaders for the ram http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=160.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I just finished putting one together, not the best one out there, but still strong, able to run farcry 2 at 50FPS, with 2X AA, and almost everything on ultra high. About to give it a test with Left 4 Dead.

Specs: Core i7 2.66
          MSI X58 Platinum
          (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130216) Cheapest one I could find supporting the I7s, still works fine though.

HD4870 512 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102796)

3gb Corsair DDR3 ram
          (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145221)
          Cost, and the 6gb packages would be useless with 32bit XP

640 gb western digital black hard drive
          (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...22447(ME).aspx)

the cheapest SATA dvd drive they had in stock
          just stole my old powersupply, 535W enermax
          Antec 300 Case

After windows 7 comes out, I plan on getting 7 64bit, and increasing the ram (guessing to 9gb

Cost, just over 1000 Canadian, using newegg.ca, and memory express

As you can see, I did cheap out on a few things, however system is still very strong. I would recommend getting one, IF you are building a entire new computer, at the very least for the new socket, so that it is upgradable in 4 years, if need be. I would also recommend waiting another month or so, so that a couple more motherboards supporting them are released.

Comment

Looks like a sweet system! I was looking at the same MB, but I'm a little wary of buying another ASUS. I currently have a P5N32-SLI Premium. It has a known issue trying to run 4 sticks of RAM (random crashes, won't POST).

Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

So far so good with the ASUS board. I'm intalling Vista right now.

The first one I got was faulty, but I just dealt a bad hand and I won't count it against them.

The BIOS was easy to navigate and I'll see how it goes. Once it's all set I'll holler here.

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
              Wow thats an expensive motherboard.
              Got a great deal at Micro Center though.

EDIT: This thing is a monster! Whipped though Vista Ultimate 64 in 15 min! Can't wait to get all my games installed.
              Last edited by DrBeat; 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I'm getting the Gigabyte board.

Comment

Check this out:

EVGA X58 SLI - Take Three

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Gigabyte board came in... was DOA, sending back as an RMA. :(

Comment

Seems a lot of sites are putting out i7 articles the past couple days:

Overclocking Core i7: A Tale of Two Retail Processors…

Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide

6-Way Intel Core i7 CPU Cooler Roundup ---the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme i use in my 775 rig came in 2nd :D, and I just need a couple $ bracket to move it to a i7 board.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I built mine at the beginning of December.

I used the EVGA MB. OCZ Gold Ram (6GB). EVGA because they seem like a good company and their graphics cards are top notch. Needless to say, its a pretty big leap forward over anything previous. I bought the 920 i7 with the intention of overclocking a little, etc, because the price/performance point looked solid.

I haven't had to touch that little slider at all, not even for Crisis. Everything on ultra settings, all the time. I get a silly 23Gb/s RAM transfer speed. I used the Noctua cooler, and after hours of gaming, I don't think I've ever seen a temp on the box higher than 50C (core temps). I'm using 2 EVGA gtx 260/216 in SLI.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

if the next motherboard is a dud as well, i'm gonna try and see if they'll swap brands on me

Comment

Good luck. I bet you can't wait to get the thing running.

The unfortunate thing about a broken motherboard is you can't even really move too forward in the build as it is the "mother" board.

Comment

New article:

Core i7 System Buyers Guide

and for those thinking about about i7, you need to know that i5 is on the way.

Core i5: First pictures of the sockets LGA 1155 and 1156

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X