Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What wireless card are you using with 64-bit Vista?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wireless card are you using with 64-bit Vista?

I assembled a new computer but am having problems with wireless gaming. I bought a cheap Rosewill card on Black Friday, and it actually works marvelously for everything except online gaming, where it suffers noticeable lag spikes. The reviews are starting to pour in now and it looks like this card works well with most OS's save 64-bit Vista.

My question is, does anyone else have 64-bit Vista and are you gaming wirelessly? If so, what card might you suggest?

I looked at the Microsoft website and there are very few "certified for Vista" wireless adapters out there.

Also bear in mind that my network is still "G" and I've not upgraded to "N", but that shouldn't be much of an issue since I assume any card I buy should be backwards compatible.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions....?

Re: What wireless card are you using with 64-bit Vista?

Vista SP2 will fix the "lag spikes". See my thread that I posted a few days ago about this exact same problem.

For now, I would advise going back to wired connection. When SP2 comes out, then you can go back to wireless.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well I have a Belkin N1 Wireless USB adapter with 64bit Vista, and it works just fine. Originally I had an internal Belkin Pre-N card, but I didn't see any 64bit drivers for it so that's why I upgraded, and with the USB adapter it's just so much easier to install.

Comment

Another possibility is to get a "wireless bridge". This is essentially a wireless-to-wired converter that lets you plug your wired PC into a wireless LAN. Many WAP's can be used in bridge mode. Looks like this:

modem <cable> router/WAP <radio-waves> bridge <cable> PC
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
          Another possibility is to get a "wireless bridge".
          I had thought of this but didn't know if I'd encounter the same problem. I have a bridge/4-port switch upstairs behind my entertainment center for anything that needs plugged in there. Having one downstairs doesn't seem like a bad idea, either...

Curious to know the lag spikes are 64-bit Vista related, and not a shortcoming of the wireless adapter itself.

Thanks again, fellas!

Comment

The wireless bridge is basically a little computer with a wireless and wired NIC that moves the packets from one to the other. Whether you get lag from it depends on how good the drivers are in the bridge's OS. But if you use the same box for a bridge that you use for your WAP, the lag should be no worse than what you experience from just the WAP.

I've got a Linksys with custom firmware that I'm using in bridge mode in my lab, because the lab lacks wired networking, and I frequently need to plug computers there into the net to get access to the file servers. Most new PC's come with wired network interfaces, and I don't want to have to open them and install a wireless NIC in each one and then install all the drivers and configuration software and the encryption key.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X