X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Live Hotmail finally gets free POP3 support

Good news bad news here folks:

Windows Live Hotmail finally gets free POP3 support

In a long-overdue move, Microsoft has begun rolling out free POP3 support to Windows Live Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands with more countries to come soon. The much requested feature was previously available for $19.95 per year as part of Windows Live Hotmail Plus, despite other email services offering it for free.
    I don't know how many of you have/use Hotmail, but I have had an account since like 1995, and most of my real email gets sent there. Its a pain though since I can't get it on my Iphone, and the recent updates to Hotmail seem to make it suck even more.

And to top it off, they don't even have the update for the USA. At least our TG brothers over seas and in the great white north get the hookup though :row__735:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows Live Hotmail finally gets free POP3 support

I all but abandoned my Hotmail account for that and a few other reasons, despite having an email account since... I think '99. I had a previous email account there since '97. GMail offers many more features, for $0.

Though for me, it's too little too late. I still use my Hotmail and I don't plan to close it, but now I just use it as a catch-all or for signing up for things, and other nonsense that isn't very important.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I just know Hotmail as a common source of spam. Maybe that's changed, but at one time spammers signed up and abused the free accounts and spam filters now consider it a sign of likely spam.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've been using FreePOPs for awhile since they stopped the POP3 support.

http://www.freepops.org/en/

FreePOPs is an easily extensible program, which allows access to the most varied resources through the POP3 protocol.
        Mainly, it can be used to download mail from the most famous webmails, but it could also be used as an aggregator for RSS feeds and much more. This way it is possible to get all your messages in your favorite email client.
        |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Useful info. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            I just know Hotmail as a common source of spam. Maybe that's changed, but at one time spammers signed up and abused the free accounts and spam filters now consider it a sign of likely spam.
            Yep, ALL mail from hotmail.com is automatically routed to my spam folder. I only know of one person that has a hotmail address on my "safe sender" list.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Maybe if they had done this and vastly improved their spam filtering system I would have stuck with Hotmail, but I give up on them many many moons ago.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just looking through my sites and spotted this:

Hotmail update starts rolling out for all users, POP3 coming to the US

I had some weird thing about being able to add one of my hotmail contacts as a "friend", but I don't think the POP is working yet, cause my Iphone still doesn't like it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Good news.

I use hotmail for all my real email. My biggest junk mail account SBC/yahoo followed by Hotmail then my gmail account.

I get about 4-6 real junk mails a week in my hotmail inbox. Tons do get routed to my junk mail folder.

Interestingly enough I probably get 1 or 2 in my gmail inbox. I have used my hotmail account for over 10 years and it appears in thousands upon thousands of places. My gmail I have used about 6 times and have had it a 1.5 - 2 years.

Seems to me hotmail is doing better junk filtering than gmail.
                  Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

More:

Hotmail Enables POP3 for U.S. Users

and I just checked and after setting up it works on my Iphone now

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hope yahoo is not too far behind.

Anyone try YPOPs?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse