Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives said to be failing at an alarming rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives said to be failing at an alarming rate

I first heard about this a couple days ago, but seems to be getting posted at most of the tech sites now.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives said to be failing at an alarming rate

I haven't heard anyone on here having one of the drives, but as the article says:

"Seagate still doesn't seem to be addressing the issue publicly, however, and as Tom's Hardware points out, they haven't yet issued a recall on unsold drives, so anyone planning on upgrading or building a new PC may want to proceed with caution."

I also read in an article the other day that most of the reviews recently on newegg have been saying the same thing.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives said to be failing at an alarming rate

Wow. I picked up a Western Digital drive about a month ago.

Comment

I had 3 750's fail in a row last year... in all the three drives worked for less than 3 days.

I am VERY careful with the one i own now.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have a 500 GB one and haven't noticed any problems yet, hopefully it stays that way. Also seems like my build was a pretty lucky one as the 750i board I have doesn't have video corruption either :D

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I haven't heard anyone on here having one of the drives
          ...I have one in this rig. I sure hope mines doesn't fail.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Seagate's quality problem seems to be cyclical. One quarter ok. The next, not so much. I have one drive from 2 years ago that is spot on, but I will never buy another because I do not like playing craps when purchasing data storage equipment. Lately I have only been buying WD RE2 (high reliability) drives. I haven't had a one come in bad nor go bad yet. They cost a little more than the SE drives, but so far they seem well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
              Seagate's quality problem seems to be cyclical. One quarter ok. The next, not so much. I have one drive from 2 years ago that is spot on, but I will never buy another because I do not like playing craps when purchasing data storage equipment. Lately I have only been buying WD RE2 (high reliability) drives. I haven't had a one come in bad nor go bad yet. They cost a little more than the SE drives, but so far they seem well worth it.
              What about their RE3 drives? Like this 320 GB one?

Originally posted by Engadget via The Register
              ...this one centered on Seagate's spacious 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 drives. Apparently, the problem lies in a faulty firmware found on drives manufactured in Thailand
              Sounds like I may be safe on this one.

As for Draeh's comment about Seagate's drives have "cyclical" failrates... I have noticed more people on NewEgg saying they receive DOA drives within the two years. It seems every so often there would be a bad batch of hard drives manufactured.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have four of their drives. Two have failed completely, one is on it's way out. They were 7200 rpm 250 GB models. I purchased them all about two years ago (one died after a few months, the other died after about a year).

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I hope these increased failure rates aren't due to Seagate's acquisition of Maxtor back in 2005. Maxtor's drives just weren't reliable.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm reading through the comments on the original article's page. Found some good responses here with more details:

The problems started to appear in October but only in December did they become so widespread. The drives don't always fail right away. If yuo read the article I linked in the first paragraph (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...zing,6558.html) you will see that a comment was made at the end that no problems were found with the 1.5TB drives when reviewed. I haven't seen a 1TB review by TH myself, but I don't read everything here
                    As someone else mentioned, that is for a problem with an older firmware version. But by fixing performance issues, Seagate seems to have made things worse

More...

Important

I'm reading through several posts on Seagate's official forum and have found a slew of 7200.11 drives that might keel over due to a bad firmware.

This is the official Seagate FAQ that will help you find out if your 7200.11 drive has this problem. I can't find any firmware download, so I'm guessing Seagates wants people to RMA their drives.

Unfortunately, my drive, the ST3320613AS, is on this list of bad drives. I am not going to RMA this thing until it keels over. In the meantime, I'm making weekly backups to my external 500 GB WD.

Hopefully this will help those of us here with Seagate 7200.11 series drives.
                    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Glad I only use Western Digital, in my builds, and client builds.
                      It's Gaming
                      Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Originally posted by Dictate View Post
                        Glad I only use Western Digital, in my builds, and client builds.
                        I don't think brand matters much now that even Seagate is suspect to this large number of failures.

WD used to have their problems as well.

I hope those SSD drives will be better, offer higher capacities, and be cheaper in a year or two. My next rig will be made up of only reliable SSD drives.

Looks like there will be a new firmware for the 7200.11 drives by about Tuesday according to one topic responder in this thread.

Hello. How may I help you?
                        Steve John: I am here for the 1TB Firmware error as explained on the URL http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...p?DocId=207931
                        Jason H.: Sure, there will be a firmware update in the next few days, I would check back Tuesday just to make sure.
                        Steve John: OK. Do I need to contact you again, or will it be freely downloadable?
                        Jason H.: It should be available, but if it is not jump back into chat and we wil be able to get it for you .
                        Steve John: Thanks
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As an update, seems there is some good news now:

Seagate offers fix, free data recovery for disks affected by firmware bug

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The Segate webserver isn't responding due to the massive flood of users trying to get this firmware update
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X