Vista services chewing up 4-5 gigs of RAM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista services chewing up 4-5 gigs of RAM

I noticed really bad performance while playing my games. When i got off and look at my Performance levels in the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu, i found that i had 7 gigs of my RAM being used. Vista had 2.5 gigs cached, so the 4.5 gigs were unaccounted for.

I went into processes and found that i have a svchost.exe process that is eating the 4 gigs all by itself.

Restarting my computer frees this RAM up. But it slowly but surely takes the ram all to it's self. (After 5 minutes it's at .5 gigs and it keeps growing up to 4.5)

What should i do, should i end the process or post a list of services that the thing runs.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Vista services chewing up 4-5 gigs of RAM

You should perhaps do a Windows Repair.

"svchost" is one of the main Windows processes. If you end it, then you won't be able to continue using Windows (usually causes a hangup if ended).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      You should perhaps do a Windows Repair.

"svchost" is one of the main Windows processes. If you end it, then you won't be able to continue using Windows (usually causes a hangup if ended).
      Yes i know of this, as a test, i ended the process. The services that were under it still functioned, and i could use Vista like normal. I'll look into a vista repair.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

That amount of ram may be a bit misleading.

What you see is what memory has been reserved. It doesn't mean it is actually being used.

Reserved just means that those services has needed this memory in the past so the OS thinks it might need it in the future. If another application needs the memory, and the reserved memory is not actually being used, the OS will release it.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...is-it-running/

Process Explorer can show what service DLLs are associated with a given invocation of svchost.exe.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'll post pictures when it gets to the point im talking about.

These process take the RAM and use for themselves. They do not free it when i need it and they just keep taking small amounts.

EDIT: got the pics
            See the deficit between Cached and Free.

This is caused by a single process.

These are the services that are associated with this particular scvhost.exe.

I'll be trying a Repair on this to see what happens.
            Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Got virus protection?

That's not a native vista feature

Comment

I have AVG, what do you suspect is not part of vista.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                  I have AVG, what do you suspect is not part of vista.
                  Looks like a virus infection.

Did you do a virus scan yet (on your entire hard drive)?

If AVG is coming up clean, try a different program (like NOD32, Avira, or AVAST).

Originally posted by ZaBoo
                  Got virus protection?

That's not a native vista feature
                  He's saying that anti-virus software doesn't come with Vista.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

News report, i ran Project reality, and when i loaded a map, the svchost process dumped some of it's memory. It's usage went from 3 to 1 gigs. Also, when i tried ending the process, 5 minutes later it popped up and kept running >.<.

I download AVAST and now running a thorough scan along with AVG, i'll report with result after im done.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I am pretty sure those are all real services.

Found this for you

http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...ce-pack-1.html
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

So this is causing a memory leak by creating excess programs.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                          I download AVAST and now running a thorough scan along with AVG, i'll report with result after im done.
                          Never run two AV programs side-by-side. They'll either cause each other to function improperly or just let every darn malware and bug slip through.

Run and have installed one or the either, not both.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Never run two AV programs side-by-side. They'll either cause each other to function improperly or just let every darn malware and bug slip through.

Run and have installed one or the either, not both.
                            I ran AVG twice without AVAST, i'll be running AVAST overnight. No dice, i'll post if anything else comes up.

BTW, how many installs on the same computer does a Vista OEM disk have on it. I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of Vista and running bare bones.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Try the Windows Repair before you do a fresh install.

As for "install". I don't think there's a limit anymore since each Vista copy is restricted and tied to the first mobo it is installed on.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X