Need last minute laptop suggestions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need last minute laptop suggestions.

I know I asked this once before maybe a month ago or a little longer but it is finally came down to it. I get income tax check on Monday. Normally would get it the next day but decided I could wait til Monday to get a few more pennies back. I have been browsing around looking for a nice laptop for a cheap price. One of the best ones I have found at a local Wal-mart was a Gateway M-7315U for about $598. Sure you guys can look up the specs for yourselves if you are curious. Anyway I am wanting some help finding maybe a better laptop for less money if possible. Suggestions and sites. Of course the money is going to burn a whole in my pocket fast. Got a lot of plans for a little bit of money.
    I of course will continue to search around myself but I know a lot of you people out there know a lot more about laptops and their prices than I do. Reason I am asking for your help.

Re: Need last minute laptop suggestions.

outlet.dell.com

you can get a GREAT laptop for less than 600.00.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

So your spending limit is $600? If so, I'm going to browse around to see what I can find that is "better" than the Gateway you've found.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually my limit was a little lower but I will go up to about $650 since I am getting back a little more than I anticipated on taxes. After talking to some people I think I want a laptop that could play PR decently. To begin with I was only wanting a mini laptop or small netbook but since my desktop computer has memory issues right now and I have to RMA the RAM I decided it would be nice to have a laptop as backup that could play the games I like or the majority of them if something else happened to my desktop PC. Nothing extreme for the laptop but I figured the gateway I looked at could handle PR. It has 4Gb of RAM but I know 384Mb of it is dedicated to graphics. Still that should be plenty of RAM.
        I showed my wife the Gateway last night and she said that would work and said Monday we would go get it BUT I want to check around first to see if anything better and about the same price is out there.

Oh, I would consider refurbished as an option as well as long as I can get an extended warranty and would at least like a 15" screen. I know, picky aren't I??

Comment

Hmph. It seems that the Gateway you saw is an "in-store item" only since I can't find the full specs on Walmart.com (only basic stuff listed).

I'm going to look it up on Gateway's website.

I see that Gateway has the Intel integrated X4500HD chipset. (scratches out)

It seems the X4500HD may handle BF2, but it would have to be at lower resolution (maybe 800 x 600) with most settings turned down since it can handle FEAR according to Notebookcheck.net.
          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am not sure how well the Intel graphics is, reason why I was asking for some help. Also, looking around on the internet at the same Gateway laptop it is selling for about $100 more than my local Wally World has it listed for.
            I plan on going to another Wally World later on tonight, it usually has a lot better selection than the one closer to me and I also wanted to see if they had the same Gateway and how much they may be selling it for.
            Was trying to convince my wife into letting me configure one up the way I would like it and spend about $900 but she is afraid we will spend her Wii money. :D

Comment

Okay, here are my picks:

Toshiba L300

(X4500HD - Shared with main memory, up to 256MB)

Sager NP2095

(X4500HD - Shared with main memory, up to 256MB)

I'm still configuring and comparing another two or three. So I'll update with more laptops.

Honestly though, $650 isn't going to land you a good enough laptop to play PR well in. If you had, say $1000, then choices would have better dedicated graphics chipsets with dedicated memory. At $650, the X4500HD is your best bet, but expect subpar gaming performance compared to better chipsets.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Here are the other two. I think these are your best bet, even though they cost a little more.

They both have dedicated chipsets with dedicated 256 MB of VRAM. These will definitely play PR well enough at the native resolutions with medium graphics quality at least.

iBuyPower CX-5

iBuyPower CZ-9

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

ArmA for $600 might be a tough. How about this one...

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uestid=7201419

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    ArmA for $600 might be a tough. How about this one...

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uestid=7201419
                    He wanted to play PR. The X4500HD chipset won't even run ArmA to the best of my knowledge. He'd need one of the iBuyPower ones in order to play ArmA.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I had configured a Compaq/Hp late last night that had a Nvidia 9200M or something like that that was about $715. Was trying to convince my wife in getting that. I will go to IbuyPower and configure on up and see what I can do and what I may be able to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        He wanted to play PR. The X4500HD chipset won't even run ArmA to the best of my knowledge. He'd need one of the iBuyPower ones in order to play ArmA.
                        NM, I know didly about laptop gaming

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                          NM, I know didly about laptop gaming
                          Not much different from desktops. Most of the popular desktop cards have their equivalent mobile chipsets.

For example, the 8400 GS, 8600, and 8800/9800s just have an "M" after their names on their laptop counterparts: 8400M GS, 8600M/GS, 9800M, etc.

Some either shared memory with main RAM or have dedicated onboard VRAM. You can learn more from http://www.notebookcheck.net/
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...en&s=dfh&cs=22

xps with a ddr3 256meg 8600gt, c2d 2.0, 3gig ram = 679.00

there are many options for around 600 that have a radeon 3650 256meg or a 7800/7900.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                              http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...en&s=dfh&cs=22

xps with a ddr3 256meg 8600gt, c2d 2.0, 3gig ram = 679.00

there are many options for around 600 that have a radeon 3650 256meg or a 7800/7900.
                              That's if he doesn't mind the red color of the casing. ;)

That's a really good deal, especially given it's a XPS system with DDR3 dedicated VRAM.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X