Really simple question-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really simple question-

How do you increase the microphone threshold for Steam games? My mic picks up EVERYTHING that goes on in the room I play in (as the comp I play in is the living room), and like the BF series, is there a way to limit what the microphone picks up?
    |TG-Irr|Adaxa
    Active in: BF2142, Project Reality

Re: Really simple question-

Originally posted by Adaxa View Post
    How do you increase the microphone threshold for Steam games? My mic picks up EVERYTHING that goes on in the room I play in (as the comp I play in is the living room), and like the BF series, is there a way to limit what the microphone picks up?
    No, unless you had a noise cancelling microphone or a program that runs in the background that'll analyze, sift, and remove the other sounds besides your voice.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Do you know any free programs that can do that Acreo?
      |TG-Irr|Adaxa

Comment

I don't know of any, just that they exist and something similar is used in voice analysis programs.

It's better if you get yourself a gaming headset with a noise cancelling microphone. That way, no software needed, and the nicer ones use built-in hardware (two microphones) to cancel out background noise actively.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The best I can do for you:

http://www.algorithmix.com/en/denoiser_pro.htm

Prevent noise
          The best way to reduce noise in your recordings is to prevent it entering your sound material at all. For that task take care of the following:

Set the correct input level of your sound sources. Set it as high as possible to increase the dynamic distance of sound and noise, but as low as neccessary to prevent clipping.
          Use balanced audio connections . More expensive PC sound cards allow balanced inputs, which have better noise rejection.
          If you have it at hand use a hardware limiter as long as Audacity cannot process sound in real-time. Personally, when recording a band I use a simple foot pedal limiter on the vocals, because these seem to be the most dynamic sound source. The input level of instruments can be adjusted quite easily.
          When you have found the optimal levels, decrease them about a dB or two when recording music just to be sure. When actually performing, musicians tend to be a little bit louder than in rehearsal mode.
          Shut every non-used sound channel and sound source. Mute non-used channels on your mixing board, switch off non-used amps, keyboards, and don't forget shut the door and the window.
          Especially in an home-recording environment, avoid switching lights or electric machines on or off during recording, because a spark can cause a knack on the track.
          Avoid fluorescent lighting and keep cell-phones a good distance away from any equipment.
          Noise tends to stay on the same low level and cannot be controlled in general (you don't have a fader for it, do you?), but the record source is often dynamic and may change and can be controlled. So you may get aware of your potentials in noise control here. Initially non-audible noise often comes to attention when a low signal is amplified and/or normalized because normalizing and amplifing increases both the wanted signal and the unwanted noise. Therefore, the measures and proceedings I described prevent some of the typical noise problems later.
          sigpic
          "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Another cheap solution is to move the mic closer to your mouth and lower the input volume of the mic. The idea is to make your voice louder and ambient noise quieter. It may or may not work but it's free. :D

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Or, turn on the push-to-talk option...
              Twisted Firestarter
              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uk-warrior View Post
                Looking through that website now...

I think the program only works for recorded audio not live streams. So far, I'm not seeing anything mention that it'll work with a live stream.

Edit: It'll work with live streaming recordings. Might be worth trying out to see if it'll work with TS. I highly doubt it though since TS isn't among the supported programs.

EUR €1490

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

EUR €1490

O.O I don't think I can afford that. Sarc's option is working well for me, thanks for the help
                  |TG-Irr|Adaxa

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                    Or, turn on the push-to-talk option...
                    Yes! People that use the voice-activated option annoy me to no end when it doesn't work properly. NOBODY wants to hear you breathe.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      NOBODY wants to hear you breathe.
                      :row__740: *hack hack...dies*
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X