And idea for the Ultimate HPTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And idea for the Ultimate HPTC

I recently read this article about setting up a USB thumb drive raid array.

I have read a couple of articles about putting a bootable Linux OS on a USB thumb drive.

While browsing motherboards a while back I also saw some mini computers/motherboards that have enough oomph to do movie playback. They also have wireless on board.

Also Bamboo put a link to some pretty good Media Center applications.

I was thinking of putting all these ideas together to create a very good, very portable Media player. I like using USB because of the low power, cheap cost of replacement and ability to move it around without worrying about damaging a hard drive. I know USB flash drives have a relativly short life for many writes, but shouldn't a system like this be mainly reading?

First, anybody see major problems with this idea?

Second, what version of Linux would be good for this application? Just media playback using one of the media center applications and some basic web/email/im stuff.

Third, any ideas for the MB/mini barebones computer?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: And idea for the Ultimate HPTC

Is usb going to be fast enough to record/playback media? I would figure that I would be recording a lot because I'm usually not around to watch the shows I want to.

this mb is not the wireless version but its the same company, I know I've seen the wireless before but you can always pick up a usb adapter if need be. pair that up with an E5200, which is now $63
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
      Is usb going to be fast enough to record/playback media? I would figure that I would be recording a lot because I'm usually not around to watch the shows I want to.

this mb is not the wireless version but its the same company, I know I've seen the wireless before but you can always pick up a usb adapter if need be. pair that up with an E5200, which is now $63
      That is why the article on the USB flash drive array caught my eye. I bet the Raid 0 setup would be more than fast enough. Might have a problem with some HD contect but I don't have any HD content.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

found this

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16200 this is the motherboard you were looking for
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

As an update I am using an old MB I have as a proof of concept. I am having a problem getting the bootable USB thing working. But I did get a simple raid with 2 usb drives at least readable/writable. I think the read speed will be more than enough. I downloaded a couple of the largest/highest quality trailers for WoW and Crysis I could find and it had no problem playing them.

I think one of the problems the author had in that article was the quality of the USB thumb drives he was using. I didn't have any reliability problems with the two kingston drives I used. I did basically what the article spelled out but it took me a while, I am no IT person, let alone Linux IT person. :)
          Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 01-27-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande
            I know USB flash drives have a relativly short life for many writes, but shouldn't a system like this be mainly reading?
            Not necessarily, particularly if you use it to record things to, which may or may not be possible I guess. What I'm thinking of is whether something like an HomeRun HD writing to it would be practical.

Keep us updated because I'm in the market for a simple HTPC to use for streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
              Not necessarily, particularly if you use it to record things to, which may or may not be possible I guess. What I'm thinking of is whether something like an HomeRun HD writing to it would be practical.

Keep us updated because I'm in the market for a simple HTPC to use for streaming.
              The transfer rate for the striped usb raid was about 32mb/sec. With higher quality gear you might get more.

That should handle recording even HD if I understand this wiki article.

But as far as streaming goes that is what I wanted the wireless for. But you might be correct in that streaming might cache data to the usb raid. That is something to keep in mind.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X