New Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build

So here's what im about to buy to replace my p4 system from 4 1/2 years ago:

The only thing i kept going back and forth about was the motherboard. I know this chipset had/has some documented problems with videos but ive seen nothing recently that indicates that it is still happening. I also wanted to keep the option of SLI open to me in case i decided to buy another 260 in the near future. Im going to use the SSD for the OS and any high priority programs that can take advantage of its read speed.

Overall im happy with the research that ive done and think that ive put together a great machine on a budget (note that i already have a case and power supply, an Antek 900 and 750w silverstone). Any last minute thoughts/opinions are appreciated though.

Re: New Build

I was going to suggest a P45-based board, but I assume you wanted a nForce board for SLI.

I see you have LED lighting and such. What case did you pick out?

What about the PSU to power all of this hungry hardware?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ive got an Antec 900 that ive already painted flat black in the inside and gunmetal grey on the outside. As you can see ive got a red lighting scheme going. The PSU that ive got is a silverstone 750w:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256006

should be enough to do what i want and early reports of the new 55mm 260 say that it used less power which is always nice

Comment

Nice.

You should post photos of it so we can envy in the red glow. :p
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Quick update on the build:

The components listed above came in yesterday and i spent much of the evening putting everything together, hiding cables, ect. Finally when everything looked good i plugged the powercord in, hit the switch on the back of the PSU and hit the power button on my case...a quick light on the CPU fan and then nothing...damn. So it seems the PSU has bit the bullet and i am currently in the process of RMAing the damn thing. Needless to say my weekend is ruined, and i probibly wont have this thing up and running for another 2 weeks or so. Im hoping that just the PSU died and didnt do any damage to anything else. The Mobo looks fine and there was no flash/spark or funny smell after i turned everything on so i should be in the clear in that regard but still, im not in the best of moods atm. It seems im meant to suffer through PR on my 7600gt for a bit longer...

Comment

your powersupply may not be the problem. an improperly inserted memory stick or expansion card could do this. Also you may have an unintended ground between the motherboard and the case.

I would suggest taking the motherboard out of the case, remove everything but one stick of ram and the video card and try to start it. put the motherboardon it's box or something that isn't conductive.

if it starts, then add back the memory, try again, then connect the hard drive, try again and so on.

Comment

I wish it were that simple, the power supply simply doesnt turn on anymore regardless of what its hooked up to...

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, if something is not seated properly, such as the ram, I believe it keeps the psu from doing anything. I've had the same problem before, and so I removed everything, including the video card, the ram, etc., and booted up so I could listen for the beep from the mobo onboard speaker. I heard the beep, so I plugged in the video card, (I don't know if this is still true for new builds, but you used to be able to boot up into the command prompt with no ram installed, letting it run off the base cache). Again I got to a prompt, using a boot disk of course. Then I blew any possible dust out of the ram contacts, reseated the ram, and voila, a working computer.

BTW, I'd give reseating the CPU a try as well. Take out all components, use compressed air to blow anything out, and carefully reseat everything. This might not do anything for your situation, but it's worth a shot.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

well ive got some time before i get an RMA number so ill give this a try this weekend. If this works than u guys are awesome, if it doesnt, well, your still awesome but my computer wont be :(

Comment

I gave the above advice a shot and still got nothing so now im stuck playing the waiting game with the PSU company. On the plus side im getting very good at taking apart and putting together my rig...

Comment

The importance of a quality PSU is often emphasized in any build, especially one for gaming or intensive/productive applications.

What brand and model was your PSU?

I would recommend any one these PSUs for your build (well built, quality parts, reliable, 80+ efficiency):

1) Corsair 550VX (550W)

2) Corsair 520HX (520W)

3) Seasonic S12 SS-550HT (550W)

4) Seasonic M12 SS-600HM (600W)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well after a month of dealing with RMAs I finally have the above build up and running. SilverStone was nice enough to upgrade my power supply for free to an 850w PSU probably due to the fact that they dont make the one that i RMAed any more. Here are some final pictures. I decided that due to the CPU fan having a blue LED that id just stick to a blue lighting scheme for now. If i ever get a passive CPU cooler or find a good CPU cooler with a red LED i might change it up but for now its just blue.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks very clean inside!

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Very nicely done Tarthkin! It looks to be a very good cable management job you've done. :)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
                              Well after a month of dealing with RMAs I finally have the above build up and running. SilverStone was nice enough to upgrade my power supply for free to an 850w PSU probably due to the fact that they dont make the one that i RMAed any more. Here are some final pictures. I decided that due to the CPU fan having a blue LED that id just stick to a blue lighting scheme for now. If i ever get a passive CPU cooler or find a good CPU cooler with a red LED i might change it up but for now its just blue.
                              Looks good.

If your thinking of changeing to a red/silent unit may want to check out the V10 from Cool Master it has 2, 120 mm fans that are silent on lower settings. It has red LED and will cool up to 200 watts works on a veriaty of systems and hardwarecanucks.comwere able to run a Quad Core Intel 775 Q6600 at 2.4 Ghz with the fans off for 10 min with out the CPU getting to 70c.

PS I forgot to mention it has a TEC and one of the fans exaust points to the ram area so you will have extra cooling there, saddly the only thing bigger than this device is it's monster price of 139 (US) bones.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X