Wide screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide screen?

I am interested in purchasing a wide screen monitor. My hope is that it will be more comfortable to look at than my current 4:3 format screen.

Is there a large difference in support between 16:10 and 16:9 in games?

I'd also like some suggestions on which screen to purchase.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...lXNnm4ZS063.Kw

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...322&lid=680413

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009145

These are the ones I am considering. Other suggestions are welcome, please list why you prefer them though.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Re: Wide screen?

You'll need to mantain a pretty impressive pc to run that Dell or other 1920 x 1080 monitors at native res. Something to keep in mind...
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
      I am interested in purchasing a wide screen monitor. My hope is that it will be more comfortable to look at than my current 4:3 format screen.

Is there a large difference in support between 16:10 and 16:9 in games?

I'd also like some suggestions on which screen to purchase.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...lXNnm4ZS063.Kw

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...322&lid=680413

These are the ones I am considering. Other suggestions are welcome, please list why you prefer them though.
      16:10 is going to be more widely supported for games. i.e 1280x768, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200

I would choose the Acer at Newegg. Honestly because it is cheaper without having to do a rebate, it's an Acer (I have a 20" Acer and it's quite nice), the Dell one is 16:9 (great for movies, not so much for games), and because I have a lot of customer loyalty with Newegg.

Comment

I recently grabbed a Samsung 22" Monitor and am extremely happy with it.

Comment

I am very happy with my ACER AL2223w which is 22", but it isn't high end or anything. Lots of light bleed around the edges when watching something really dark, but it doesn't really bother me.

I would say google for some reviews of 22" monitors. I know we have posted some here in the forums as well, and see what they had to say. Usually you will be happy though with any major brand like Samsung (lots of people like), Viewsonic, LG, ACER, or dell. So you should look at what the extras are, like if it has USB ports, what kinds of connections, is it Vista Certified, etc. My dad just got a new one that has HDMI, so it is really easy for him to hook his laptop up without a ton of extra wires, and it has S-video so he has his cable hooked up to it also.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have a Dell 2407WFP and I love it. Counter strike source will support 16:9 and 16:10 but BF2 only supports 4:3 not sure about anything else. Im sure plenty of other games would support 16:9 with more and more ppl hooking TV's up to their pcs now.

Comment

If you are not going into the super HD resolutions, I second this thought. I just bought 2 of the Acer P223W monitors on Newegg for $159 each delivered on one of their email specials. (similar as you have linked except a 2ms response rate) I put them on family computers in my house and they look beautiful. I also like the one button adjustment. Great value for the price. My wife stopped complaining instantly about another Newegg purchase when she saw the new display compared to the old 17 inch Dell box-bomber super-tanker. lol

Comment

I have experience with the Acer. My buddy and his wife both have that monitor. It's a nice screen and the only problem they ever had was the DVI input broke on one but it's under warranty.

If you have the money to spend I would go with the Samsung 22" Monitor that DrBeat recommended.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I actually bought the monitor at Best Buy, it was a floor model in perfect condition, so I got a nice deal for it.

I'll admit, I don't have that much experience with monitors. The one I owned previously was a 19" Dell that was perfect for me. It's the best screen I have owned without much to compare it to.

The biggest thing I like is the amount of real estate I have on the screen. Plenty of room to spread out!

Comment

Namebot i play pr with this exact same monitor and love it. have been using it for over a year and i love it. its cheap too 160 bucks for a 22" cant go wrong

|TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                      You'll need to mantain a pretty impressive pc to run that Dell or other 1920 x 1080 monitors at native res. Something to keep in mind...
                      Not necessarily. My computer's ancient by today's standards, like as in 2002, and even then it was mediocre. I did put in a GeForce 6800GT a few years back, though.

I run my 22" Viewsonic at full rez with no hiccups and I can play CS:S and WoW at max settings beautifully. Of course those aren't exactly demanding games by today's standards either. I guess it depends on what games you are playing that would determine the horsepower you need to run your monitor at full rez.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

If you want to play the latest games @ 1920 x 1200 (meaning 45 fps+), you'll need more than a 8800GT/9800GT. As both of these cards won't give you much better than 50 fps in some titles (according to THG's VGA Charts).

As for LCD monitors, keep in mind that LG and Samsung are the only two manufacturers of the actual LCD panels. Everyone else buys from them.

Acer and Dell probably have the best stands of all the other brands out there (least wobbling).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X