Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a soundcard

Hey guys!
    As the title explains, im currently in the market for a soundcard. My build is rather new (October 08) but unfortunately, PR has some issues with the Vista x64 version of my onboard sound drivers (SoundMax). The only way i get to play PR is with the sound disabled in the BIOS. Otherwise, my system totally locks up on me.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm shopping for a sound card. Thing i've never really did (shame on me...been gaming on a PC for about 9 years now and never bought a third party soundcard).

But from what I heard/read, Creative Labs soundcards seems to be the most decent ones. I shopped a little bit and found this one: http://us.creative.com/products/prod...&product=15854

I've also been pointed toward this exact model by some guys over the PR official forums. And I would like to know what you guys think of it. Or is there any better sound cards out there? I dont really need extra stuff on it (optical/HDMI/etc) as I ALWAYS use a headset.

I've also been told to look for a model with 64mb of onboard RAM.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Re: Shopping for a soundcard

I just bought a new q6600 rig thats in the mail as we speak. This is the card that i got after doing some digging around on the internet:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132006
    I should have everything up and running by the end of next week and ill report back with my thoughts on the card. I got this rig to run PR primarily so ill let you know if it works with the game

Comment

How important are the Creative special effects to your audio enjoyment? (like EAX, simulated environment effects, etc.)

If those aren't very important to you, I suggest the HT Omega Striker. It may not live up to super-audiophile standards (no modern sound card does), but it would be a nice alternative to Creative sound cards if you wanted to try something new.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

[QUOTE=Acreo Aeneas;1197268]How important are the Creative special effects to your audio enjoyment? (like EAX, simulated environment effects, etc.)
        Very. Tried playing a game with EAX disabled to see what it actually does. And I think it sounds like sh*t without it.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
          Very. Tried playing a game with EAX disabled to see what it actually does. And I think it sounds like sh*t without it.
          Oh. Well, guess it's different for everyone. I always felt EAX oompified the bass too much and distorted sounds.

Well, if you're going for a Creative sound card, don't get the XtremeAudio. Go for at least the XtremeGamer.

Might even keep an eye out on one at your nearest Circuit City since they're liquidating a lot of stores and you might be able to pick one up for really cheap.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Oh. Well, guess it's different for everyone. I always felt EAX oompified the bass too much and distorted sounds.

Well, if you're going for a Creative sound card, don't get the XtremeAudio. Go for at least the XtremeGamer.

Might even keep an eye out on one at your nearest Circuit City since they're liquidating a lot of stores and you might be able to pick one up for really cheap.
            The nearest Circuit City is well...not a Circuit City. Here its called "La source By Circuit City" basically Circuit City owns "La Source" franchise. But they're not closing yet.

Also...I cant find the XtremeGamer anywhere online..all out of stock. I checked on the Creative website and they now have this one up: http://us.creative.com/products/prod...ct=17791&nav=1

I checked the specs and they all seems to be the same...only different thing is this one uses a PCI-E connector and has an Optical In and Out. Plus they're both the same price and both has 64mb of onboard memory.

The BigC

Comment

My apologies, I didn't notice you're in Canada. :)

From my last trip in Canada (about 2 years ago in Toronto area), there were Circuit City stores dispersed alongside The Source stores as well.

As for finding the XtremeGamer, I found one here at NCIX. It's selling for $118 CAN (which is about $40 more than what it would be on NewEgg).

Unfortunately, NewEgg Canada is still lacking on some product variety, as I couldn't find any Creative sound cards there.

There are differences. The XtremeGamer has the other audio effects (like EAX Advanced and CMSS) that XtremeAudio doesn't have. Hardware wise, the two cards are basically identical, but the XtremeAudio version doesn't fully support the latest EAX or offer CMSS.

Ironically, the X-Fi Titanium is selling for $85 on NewEgg while the X-Fi XtremeGamer is selling for $91. For those buying a sound card as well and want a X-Fi card, grab the Titanium while it is selling for $85. It's bound to go back up to $95/$105 later on.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would seriously consider the Asus Xonar that Tarthkin linked. It has some really nice components that give a very nice quality sound all around. For the price it is the best card.

It also is worth noting that Vista has issue with EAX and Creative effects. That may have changed but basically I think it has to do with how Vista communicates with the card. The Xonar has a software based EAX simulator that is very similar to Creatives and works in Vista. It apparently has a very similar sound as an EAX creative card. Well actually it has a better sound but I'm refering to the EAX effects in particular, overall it sounds better.

Take a look into the Vista and EAX issues before you buy.

Comment

I've been told having 64mb of onboard memory is also to look for. Is it true? I know jacksh*t about Sound Cards.

Its hard because I dont want to buy a sound card and still be stuck with that damn hardware lock up in PR
                  Last edited by Xmaster; 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM.

The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                    I've been told having 64mb of onboard memory is also to look for. Is it true? I know jacksh*t about Sound Cards.
                    Not really needed. You'd have to see which games actually make use of Creative's onboard sound card memory. As far as I know, maybe one or two titles in the last few years might even use Creative's onboard memory feature.

Maybe in a few years that might be a feature to look for, but right now, it's not really important.

Personally, I'm staying away from Creative sound cards (not the older ones). Friends have had various problems with Creative's drivers causing random BSODs, mic input not to work in TS while playing some games, etc. Maybe when they're drivers are stable, then I might consider getting a SB card again.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X