Netbook / Slim & light laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbook / Slim & light laptop?

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a slim notebook like the MacBook Air or the new Dell Adamo.

Are there other new ones coming out that I should be aware of? What's the news from CES on these?
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Netbook / Slim &amp; light laptop?

I recently purchased the Asus Eee 904HA for my wife and she loves it!

Comment

What are you "requirements" in this netbook?

Price?
      Weight?
      Screensize?
      Power / Memory?
      Keyboard?
      Size?

Here's my Asus 1000HA review.
      Last edited by asch; 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

The Adamo is as yet unreleased. If you're set on the Air or the Adamo, I'd wait until at least Dell releases the Adamo then compare the two.

Other netbooks worth mentioning:

ASUS 1000/1002/1004HA 10" Netbook
        Acer Aspire One 8.9" Netbook
        Lenovo's S10 10" Netbook
        MSI Wind 10" Netbook
        ASUS N10 10" "Gaming" Netbook

You can find all of these on NewEgg or Amazon for around $500-$800. You'll want to look at a 6-cell battery if you want to use it for longer than 2.5 hours.

Upcoming netbooks:

Acer Aspire One 10" Netbook ("normal" touchpad and larger keyboard)
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, it will be for my wife, so a >10" screen is preferable. Other than that it just needs to be able to stream netflix :) Sub $800 preferably.
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Here's what I'm going to be ordering as soon as I consult the TG hive mind to make sure I'm getting the correct memory:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=6074269

I figure that without an optical drive, I'll be needing a larger thumbdrive, so that's why that's in there.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I can confirm that the you should have the right RAM (DDR2 667), Cingy.

Battery life may not be the best, but 3.5 hours from just 2-cells is amazing considering my slightly smaller AAO only gets 4.5 hours or so on 6-cells.

Hardware Secrets did an in-depth review on the 1002HA a little while back and they found out ASUS installed a Apacer PC-5300 DDR2 667 SO-DIMM in it. Honestly, I couldn't tell you the minor difference between PC-5300 and PC-5400. They are both DDR2 and both operate at 667 MHz (effective).

I'm seriously considering selling my AAO and getting a bigger screened netbook from ASUS or the new 10.2" AAO coming out in March 2009. So much good competition has come out now with some slightly better features, bigger screens, bigger keyboards, and less power hungry.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                Well, it will be for my wife, so a >10" screen is preferable. Other than that it just needs to be able to stream netflix :) Sub $800 preferably.
                Hmm... streaming video isn't something i've tried yet on my netbook so i can't speak for that.

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                Here's what I'm going to be ordering as soon as I consult the TG hive mind to make sure I'm getting the correct memory:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...Number=6074269

I figure that without an optical drive, I'll be needing a larger thumbdrive, so that's why that's in there.
                The 1002HA costs $110 more than the 1000HA so check the differences in specs to see if it is worth it. I believe when I was looking the only difference was bluetooth and the addition of wireless-n.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

All the netbooks do streaming video fine. The only possible problem is HD streaming video.

If you plan on watching HD netflix videos streamed, I would suggest the ASUS N10 for about $700 at NewEgg with the nV 9300M graphics chipset or the slightly cheaper ASUS S101 (can be found at Amazon for maybe $40 less).

The other netbooks don't have the chipsets needed to ensure smooth HD video playback.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                    The 1002HA costs $110 more than the 1000HA so check the differences in specs to see if it is worth it. I believe when I was looking the only difference was bluetooth and the addition of wireless-n.
                    Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can find out. Newegg shows the 1002HA as being a pound lighter, too. I'm going to have to do some more research...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Hmmm, I'll have to see what I can find out. Newegg shows the 1002HA as being a pound lighter, too. I'm going to have to do some more research...
                      Ah, the 1000HA has a 6-cell battery while the 1002HA has a 2-cell. I get a good 5 1/2 hours with the 6-cell which is in line with the reviews I read. Make sure to check how many hours you'll get on the 1002HA with that 2-cell. Don't believe the manufacturer's claim on hours.... the reviews tend to be most accurate.

My 1000HA does come in around 3 lbs and it might be slightly thicker due to the 6-cell battery.... but it is very light and easy to carry around. Doesn't feel like a laptop at all.

One of my personal requirements on getting the netbook was to keep it inexpensive. The 1002HA was one of the models I was looking at but figured the bluetooth, wireless-n, and 3/4 lbs wasn't worth the $150 price difference (at that time due to rebates).
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                        Does streaming netflix use the typical WMP or quicktime to view?
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                          Does streaming netflix use the typical WMP or quicktime to view?
                          I'm not sure actually.. I think it's probably WMP because it will only stream using explorer (I think) this is something my wife does, not me :D

And additionally to streaming netflix, I will probably hooking up a slim external DVD drive to the netbook so my wife can watch DVD's. Samsung has one for around fifty dollars that looks like it will fit the bill.

Comment

I don't think the Air nor the Adamo will be sub $800. Did you have weight requirements? You can get some pretty nicely spec'd real notebooks for under $800 at the Dell outlet/refurb site--something that would definitely play HD video.

Comment

The Adamo will be classified as a ultraportable laptop (not be to confused with netbook) so expect a price tag of at least $1200-$1500 starting.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X