Looking for Video card recomendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Video card recomendations

Hi I have my old system I would like to get a bit better performance to last me another year. I play BF2 series mostly and would like to try some other newer games. I see some good deals out there for lost of 512mB and 1GB cards for about $50 but I have no clue what is compatible with my system and what is better for the same money and whats overkill for this older system.

Any recomedations would be helpful.
    Is the "memory clock" the key feature here and am I limited with my system?
    This is what I have in my system.

System is 4-5 years old!
    Intel Pentium 4 2.81GHz
    Abit IS7E Mother board 2 GB RAM
    Radeon 9700 GT pro 128-mB
    17" Samsumg monitor
    Last edited by TG_Blood; 01-25-2009, 02:49 AM.

Re: Looking for Video card recomendations

How much are you willing to spend?

A nice AGP card could easily run you $150 nowadays.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

~$50 or so. I could go a bit higher but wonder if its going to be too much for my PC. I see a GT9500 NVIDIA GeForce xfx 9500 GT DDR3 for about $75 but I am wondering if this is ok for my set up. Is DDR3 on the video card independant of my system? I mean does this require my mother board to run DDR3?

Comment

DDR3 is the GPU ram that the video card is running on it's own. It doesn't have to do with the memory on your mobo really.

Besides, DDR3 RAM is expensive right now for mobos. I don't even know if DDR5 is remotely affordable yet either.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
        "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
        of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
        To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
        - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

that motherboard doesn't seem to exist. Depending the slot you have available you could get a 9600 for around that price if it's PCI-e x16.

- -

Comment

I just updated MB info above its an ABIT IS7E, I have 5 PCI slots not sure what you mean by PCI-e x16??????

Manual states:Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X/4X (0.8V/1.5V)

Comment

PCI-E x16 is PCI-Express X16, which many newer graphics cards use. The x16 just means the amount of pins or something. The size of the slot. Graphics cards use an X16 size slot, while audio uses a different one (I forgot which size, but it's hard to mess up).

AGP is another type of method that older graphics cards use to communicate with connected devices, just like newer PCI-E boards do.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
              "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
              of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
              To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
              - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Blood View Post
                I just updated MB info above its an ABIT IS7E, I have 5 PCI slots not sure what you mean by PCI-e x16??????

Manual states:Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X/4X (0.8V/1.5V)
                Ah, the wonderful AGP...
                I believe the last highish end card made on the AGP slot was the ATi HD3850. I'd also hazard to say that's about as powerful as it gets.
                Another okay choice would be an HD3650, as those can be had for around your price range, in the AGP flavor.
                It's Gaming
                Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

Well I don't think AGP is pertinant then as I have 5 PCI slots which I think is a standard interface. Weather its a -e and 16 pins i am not sure but I bet its all the same. So back to my original question does anyone have any recomendations as to a video card in the $50-75 range for MY set up above?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Blood View Post
                    Well I don't think AGP is pertinant then as I have 5 PCI slots which I think is a standard interface. Weather its a -e and 16 pins i am not sure but I bet its all the same. So back to my original question does anyone have any recomendations as to a video card in the $50-75 range for MY set up above?
                    The AGP slot is you're slot that goes for a Graphics card device. The PCI slots are only used for sound cards, Ethernet or LAN cards, or USB expansion cards. You'll have to stick to the AGP slot in order to boost you're graphics power. I would follow Dictates advice on the card of choice.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Here is the info you should read:

Best Gaming Graphics Cards For The Money: AGP Interface

Here are some AGP 3650 cards on newegg:
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...on%20HD%203650

Here are some recent posts on Slickdeals about AGP. not recommending these, but just some info to read:
                      Need help selecting between these AGP video cards for an older PC

Asus EAH3450 ATI Radeon HD 3450 Low Profile $20 + tax AR FS @Newegg

Visiontek Radeon X1300 XGE 512MB AGP DDR2 DirectX 9 Video Card $34.24 + FS

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just a suggestion, why not upgrade the mobo and CPU or just the mobo. This alone could apy decent dividends and keep you from buying a GPU with a legacy port?

Or you could try going to websites like [H]ardocp.com forums, they have a buy/sell section with alot of seller or you could post that your buying. I have bought and sold several items through their site with good results. And you can get some really good parts at reasonable prices.

As far as you existing parts go, I would look further down the road, try to get into some newer parts. I am sure there are some guys around here with parts lying about that would sell to you at a good price. Hell, if I was at home I would make you an offer on some parts I have lying in cases.

Last option, hold onto some cash and wait until you can get a new mobo, CPU and memory. RAM is dirt cheap and you can pickup 2GB of DDR2 for about $30-40. Mobos run closer to $100 and a decent CPU can be had for $100-150.
                        Intel mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121046 $78
                        Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115132 $120
                        OCZ 2GB DDR2 800:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227189 $23
                        Graphics two option
                        AMD HD4850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131125 $140 (much faster)
                        AMD HD4670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121274 $80

So for $300-360, you have an upgraded system on the cheap and tax time is right around the corner. I am not sure if this helps or not and I know the feeling of getting behind the times. Such is the life of a gamer.
                        Last edited by Beinseth; 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM. Reason: added some links to parts

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Blood, you'd need to spend at least $75 for a decent AGP card nowadays. Like this HD3650 from Sapphire. You'd at least be able to get higher framerates in BF2 and a few other games.

You're better off buying something like that and then saving up for a new rig.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            Blood, you'd need to spend at least $75 for a decent AGP card nowadays. Like this HD3650 from Sapphire. You'd at least be able to get higher framerates in BF2 and a few other games.

You're better off buying something like that and then saving up for a new rig.
                            On my older computer, a Pentium 4 also. With 4 gigs of ram and that HD3650, I was as happy as can be.

Comment

Got it thanks I did not realize the video card was in the AGP slot. It looks like I am limited to that port. Thanks for the inputs guys I will think how I want to procede from here.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X