Backpack for laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpack for laptops

My Dell laptop from work came with a fake leather briefcase style bag that works fine, but I'd prefer a backpack with a little more style. I was also thinking about getting a backpack for general use and snowboarding that would preferably accomodate a resevoir for liquids (hydration). Does anyone have a brand/model that fits the bill?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Backpack for laptops

I have a really nice one that I picked up at Fry's. It's out in the car right now, or I'd tell you the name. I think the brand is Targus. The nice thing is that it has plastic feet that let you set it down if you're using the carrying handle and it'll stay upright.

This isn't the one, but it's similar: http://shop3.frys.com/product/564409...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I almost always buy Targus packs now-a-days. I think I actually have the one Cing linked to. They're very durable and have a wide variety of bags. Check out www.targus.com and click on their backpack bags.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

This is the one that I have: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PR600
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

for my 17 inch laptop, i use a swissgear, from dell its $35 bucks (normally 70) its very rugged made from very thick feeling materials... no ripping of the seems like my last walmart special laptop bag
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Cing, that one does look nice. All it's missing is the hydration.
            |TG|Melee

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
              Cing, that one does look nice. All it's missing is the hydration.
              You're talking about a pouch to hold a Camelbak-style hydration bladder with a hole for the tube to come out? I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those.... While I know that good bladder systems are quite rugged, water and laptops don't mix, so I'm not sure you're going to find something like this...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I recommend the OGIO Politan in black.

The other brands recommended above are also nice, but I've always found OGIO to be perfect for me (even though I don't do any snow athletics). All of their laptop bags feature a fine-knit nylon inner lining and keeps out snow and water pretty well (very water resistant, but not waterproof).

They were also the first brand to come up with the now popular "one piece" double strap and integrated handle.

I own a 3 year old OGIO Friction and it's served me well through rain, snow, sleet, and hot summer days.

Edit:

As for hydration ready, the only one I've found that I like is the OGIO No Drag. It may not be very roomy, but you can install a Camelpak hydration pack in the backside "pocket". It'll also fit most laptops up to 15".
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

go to dell's outlet and get the xps backpack for the size screen you have... I love mine.
                  my last backpack was wenger (swiss army) and I loved it too.. clean lines and well made / well padded.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I can vouch for the Targus bags. I've had mine for around 6-7 years now and that sucker has been around the world many times over. It's ventured with me from Thailand to Germany. It even fell off a plane's belt loader from around 10 feet off the ground, and all that happened was my wireless 802.11 card got bent almost in half. Everything (including the card) still worked just fine. These bags are indeed good. I've also heard great things about the Swiss bags as well.

As far as hydration, why don't you just strap a camelbak to the back of your bag? Or shove one in one of the rear pockets?
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

If you want hydration, just get the real deal and look at the CamelBak site
                      http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

Go to the industrial/government section and select the ones with hydration/cargo.

They have some with a space for a laptop. I would make sure to look around on like REI.com or other sites that let people leave reviews for products to see what others said.

Just and FYI, I have hydration packs, and depending on the weather and stuff, the bladders can give off a lot of condensation and stuff, which even if you have it in a water tight section, the condensation can form on the otherside of the wall, like in the laptop compartment. I have ended up with wet cloths before because of this. I had cold water in the bladder on a hot day.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks everyone. I don't plan to use hydration when carrying the laptop - I'm just trying to find a pack that will be multi-purpose. I plan to carry the laptop on a daily basis, but utilize hydration when needed (snowboarding, Disneyland, hiking, etc.).
                        |TG|Melee

Comment

The best laptop backpack I've ever had is The Swiss Gear Synergy. Super. Awesome.

Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

I finally realized one pack wasn't going to meet all of my needs so I selected a pack that would best serve as my daily laptop bag: The Brenthaven Expandable Trek

I've found it has great protection for my laptop as well as lots of well placed pockets. I particularly like the pocket for glasses on top as I switch between glasses and sunglasses whenever I move in/out doors. Their standard price is $100, but if you google "brenthaven promo code" you can easily find one for 15% off. I hear Apple stores also carry them if you want to check it out before buying.
                            |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...