Atom-powered MSI WindBOX nearly ready to ride your LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atom-powered MSI WindBOX nearly ready to ride your LCD

I'm thinking this looks pretty interesting for a HTPC or something like a kid's computer or a spare in the living room. It's nothing too powerful, but this would be perfect to put on the back of a big screen LCD.

Atom-powered MSI WindBOX nearly ready to ride your LCD

Throw in a wireless keyboard with a trackpad and it would be great in the living room. Something like:

Visenta V1 multitouch wireless keyboard gets the hands-on treatment

Edit: From another article:
    "It will reportedly be sold as a barebones unit, so you’ll need to add your own 2.5-inch SATA hard drive and operating system, and it is expected to start shipping this quarter for about $250."
    Last edited by Bamboo; 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Atom-powered MSI WindBOX nearly ready to ride your LCD

Ooooh. Sounds perfect as a internet surfing/entertainment bedroom PC.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That would be perfect for some room in my house, I'm sure. All I need is an old LCD, a cheap laptop drive and an Ubuntu live cd. Awesome stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
        That would be perfect for some room in my house, I'm sure. All I need is an old LCD, a cheap laptop drive and an Ubuntu live cd. Awesome stuff.
        Just load Ubuntu onto a USB drive. That way you won't even need an optical drive.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Neato! Plenty of lightweight use for that.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Just load Ubuntu onto a USB drive. That way you won't even need an optical drive.
            Thats how I usually load it onto my EEE whenever I do something stupid and screw the installation. I used my USB drive for my brother's Aspire One as well. I'm just trying to get motivated enough to update my EEE from 8.04.1 to 8.10.
            sigpic

Comment

8.04.2 just got released. Looks like a whole slew of bug and performance fixes (according to DownloadSquad).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Don't forget ASUS already has the EEEBox, and Newegg has 5 to choose from, including one with XP for like $320.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=Desktop%20PCs

Mounts on the back of an LCD as well, and already has a HD.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Don't forget ASUS already has the EEEBox, and Newegg has 5 to choose from, including one with XP for like $320.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=Desktop%20PCs

Mounts on the back of an LCD as well, and already has a HD.
                  That is true, but the MSI one is a lot slimmer than the ASUS one and practically is flush with the stand of the LCD monitor in the picture.

Either way, they're both nice.

Now only if they could make one that'll also accept a slim laptop slot-loading optical drive... Then I could replace my parents rigs so they'd quit complaining about not having enough room to messily stack their papers. :row1_18:
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

#1 the Asus box has a DVI-I port, so VGA, DVI-A or D and HDMI are all in play, the msi only has VGA which gets you as high as DVI-A

#2 a nice little DVDRW drive and enclosure sitting on the desk would be ok if the computer were mounted to the back of the LCD.

#3 getting something with a little more oomph would make the experience better.... you need to be able to play bluray and .mkv's. even a ulv c2d 1.2 and an Nvidia 9300 should be able to do that.

I think building a mini-ITX is probably ~same money, and has more versatility... though for the same specs, strapping a mini9 to the back of the LCD would serve the same function, and can be had for 250 in the outlet.

Don't get me wrong... I am excited about where it is heading though.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X