X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download Internet Explorer 8 RC1 for Vista, XP

Just released today:

Download Internet Explorer 8 RC1 for Vista, XP

I don't plan on giving it a go. Happy with firefox.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Download Internet Explorer 8 RC1 for Vista, XP

I plan on giving it a go just to see how web standards compliant they've made it.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Great, another peice of Microsoft's anti-standards web browsing software to run tests against.

Comment

IE8's improvement over all other IE versions is to be web standards compliant (supposed to have full CSS 2.1 support in the final release). I only wish it would depreciate the non-standards mode (ex: forcing the user to turn it on manually rather than leaving it automatically enabled).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hmm, for some reason I can't select any icons on my desktop or use right-click on my desktop after installing IE8 RC1.

Gonna try another restart to see if something went wrong.

Edit: Ah, found the culprit: Gizmo Central and Gizmo Drive. The Gizmo family of products is causing "rundll32.exe" to crash upon startup and thus rendered my desktop inoperable. Back to DaemonTools for me (which uses 15 MB less RAM).
          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-26-2009, 07:09 PM.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nice! As far as I can tell, it renders all of my standards compliant websites. The CSS box (margin/border/padding) is displayed correctly unlike in previous versions of IE.

I'm happy IE is finally going to go the way of being in line with other browsers that support CSS. :)

It also finishes loading a little faster than IE7. It seems to load pages as quickly as FF 3.0.5 or Google Chrome. It seems a bit quicker, but I could be mistaken.

Ooooh...it has a "InPrivate Browsing" option similar to Firefox's upcoming "private browsing" feature.

:( Unfortunately, it has taken on Google Chrome's behavior of using a separate process thread for each new tab and for IE itself. This means more memory consumption, but possible stable if one web page crashes or something.

Overall, it looks very good. Hopefully this will release before or alongside Windows 7. Then I might stop getting emails from people that the "website is broken".
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I cannot find anything in there that tells me why is it better or how it should coax me away from FireFox. Is there something special you all are seeing?
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                Not to be a stick in the mud, but I cannot find anything in there that tells me why is it better or how it should coax me away from FireFox. Is there something special you all are seeing?
                See my post above yours. Still not worth switching from Firefox for, but its an improvement for those of us who develop websites. :)

Ah, one other thing. If you're stuck at work and have to use IE. This new "InPrivate Browsing" would be nice provided your work's IT department updates from IE7 to IE8.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Cool, thanks for the clarification....
                  "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Here is a really good easy to read and short review:

IE8 RC1 tested: the good, the bad, and how it stacks up

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

So it's much better than the rubbish they have put out before but not good enough to pull me away from the fox?

POE2 Developer

Comment

I downloaded it and have played with it a little, the accelerators are good, being able to translate a word on a page is handy but you will have to click on the link to open a page to change the language you want to translate from/to, the maps are good too if you highlight a word of a place you see a preview of the map on the same page, but if there are many places with the same name in different countries you will have to click on the one you want to view and that will open up another web page of the map, works best when you highlight an address of a place.
                        Here is a direct quote from microsofts website about Accelerators.
                        "Start searching, mapping, emailing, and translating from the page you're already on without navigating to other websites"
                        Take from that what you will. :row__627:

The dictionary is very useful and will define a word there and then on the same page, which is handy for all us illiterate lazy browsers, webslices seem like a great feature when you install them, and will be very handy for keeping an eye on all those Ebay items you are bidding on, might give you the edge in winning the auction? Only thing is right now there are not many sites adopting them, but I am sure that will change, they are also handy for watching products you want to buy and you can keep an eye on the prices, quite handy.
                        Oh and if you plan on visiting ebay, take out www and put in ie8 instead? :icon_roll

Anyway I am sure all this can also be done in firefox in some form or another.

Posted in firefox.....:row1_18:

Comment

I'm leaving the RC1 in place as my default IE browser. I'm not switching back to IE7 since CSS 2.1 spec seems to be mostly implemented at this point and it's a bit speedier than IE7 ever was.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            ...provided your work's IT department updates from IE7 to IE8.
                            You, sir, are under the assumption that my work's IT department (specifically, the desktop engineering team) has already updated to IE7.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                              You, sir, are under the assumption that my work's IT department (specifically, the desktop engineering team) has already updated to IE7.
                              My apologies, it skipped my mind that some businesses' IT departments haven't even updated to IE7 (and some might be even on older IE versions).

My corrected statement portion should be read as follows:

...provided your IT department ever upgrades to IE8 from whatever IE version is installed.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X