Steam Downloading issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Downloading issues

I'd figure I'd post here since I've been have a lot of trouble lately. I've been trying to download content from steam but cannot maintain a speed. My university says that they do not block any of those ports and they were able to DL stuff. I've been over the troubleshooting page and tried a everything that it could have been. I'll start downloading and it will be nice and fast 1-2 mbps and sometimes it will go like that for a few and then start to slow down to 100 kbps and the keep slowing and eventually just stop. Other internet download and streaming works fine. I am experiencing no other problems at this time.

My system:
    E6750 @ 3.2GHz with a Asus P5k-e wifi (P35)
    4GB of Corsair DHX (slightly OCd may be around 900MHz)
    WD SE16 640GB
    OCZ 700W PSU (I know complete overkill)
    Evga 8800GT OCd to 725MHz (never goes about 56 C though)

my network adapter is a marvell yukon 88e8056 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller. Currently running a wired connection to the wall provided by the university.

as far as I know everything is up to date with my vista SP1 install
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Steam Downloading issues

That'll happen with Steam from time-to-time depending on how flooded their download servers are.

Usually if you restart Steam and/or pause and resume the download, it'll eventually fix itself and you'll download at a somewhat steady rate.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've been trying to DL something for 4 days now.

Comment

It is also possible that the specific file you were trying to download, had large user traffic. When Half Life 2 preorder came out, I spend about 6 days trying to preload it.

Comment

could be but I've seen people DL the file in under and hour, I've also had this problem with older games as well, portal while fun is not teh hotnez any more.

Comment

I've now tried on 2 different installs of Vista and a mess of setting between them and on Win 7 (which oddly enough has worked well so far).

I've contacted steam support and waiting on them now.

On a different note the windows LIVE market place now offers the DoW2 beta/demo, so I was thinking cool since steam is giving me issues I'll get it from microsoft and play. I start to download and it the file size on the demo is only 400MB which is not the 2.2GB steam said it was. So the download finishes and I install the DoW beta and guess what... it opens steam and starts downloading form there... Microsoft has made me a very angry person today...

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
              So the download finishes and I install the DoW beta and guess what... it opens steam and starts downloading form there... Microsoft has made me a very angry person today...
              :row__588: That's surprising. One would think MS wouldn't link to Steam and instead offer it through LIVE and force you to download and install the WFL Games client instead.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X