Linux distro recomendation for specific purpose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux distro recomendation for specific purpose

I am looking for a Linux distro for a little project I am working on. The ultimate HTPC.

It must be bootable from a USB drive. It must be able to install programs as well.

I would also like to have a interface that could be used on a standard tv. Either through modifications or natively.

Small and efficient is the key. Able to access the web and use the standard media plugins like quicktime and adobe flash plugin. Plus wireless support.

Any suggestions?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Linux distro recomendation for specific purpose

dsl or puppy would me my first thoughts...

a barebones Fedora or Ubuntu would possibly be an alternative.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Have you had any experience with gOS?

Another question. Are all distros of Linux equal when it comes to drivers or are some weaker.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

the linux kernel is what it is. the distros build on it differently.

redhat and distros using it can have .rpm packages that install much like an exe.

others have different - and sometimes harder - ways of installing new things. if a driver exists for linux, the source can be applied to any distro though, unless I have been grossly misinformed.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Is a graphical interface a must?

I'll second DSL (Damn Small Linux).

DownloadSquad has a list of 20 Linux flavors you could take a look at. Some are very portable and can be launched from a small USB drive.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Is a graphical interface a must?

I'll second DSL (Damn Small Linux).

DownloadSquad has a list of 20 Linux flavors you could take a look at. Some are very portable and can be launched from a small USB drive.
            Graphical is required. It is going to be a video/music player after all. Don't want to be launching my movies via command line.

Comment

Well, I have yet to use DSL, but that might be best since the entire OS is about 68 MBs. You could easily launch it from your USB flash RAID setup. And it doesn't take nearly as much space as some of the others, but still retains some GUI.

If you do try it, tell me how it goes, since that was the next Linux OS I was going to try on another old rig (after getting Ubuntu installed on the home server).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X