Video Card Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Problem

I have a 8800GT I purchased about a year ago, it was doing fine up to now. When I boot up my PC and it get the the Windows Vista Page at the beginning with the loading bar at the bottom, my monitor will go into sleep mode. The light on the monitor turns orange like when you put it in sleep mode and Ive pressed every key and nothing. Can someone help me out, Ive already talked to someone about this but I just wanna know if anyone else has any idea of what can possibly be the problem. Right now I am using my old 6600gt which is pretty good but I need my 8800 back :(. Please help

Re: Video Card Problem

Usually a sign of a conflict in the driver or settings. Like it got switched to a refresh rate or a resolution that the monitor can't handle, or the driver was corrupted. Generally you can fix it by entering safe mode or VGA mode and defaulting the settings and/or un/reinstalling the drivers.

If you have the same problem in safe mode then you're probably looking at the card. But if you can see the post on it then you should have no problems getting into either.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

First check if the monitor is plugged into the card.
      Then check if the monitor is set to the right input (DVI digital, VGA, etc).
      Then, try booting in VGA mode.
      If all that doesn't work clean out your machine. Vacuum all the dust out of the graphics card.

You may be able to log on via remote desktop and install the latest drivers.
      Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
        Vacuum all the dust out of the graphics card.
        Please, don't use a vacuum... Static discharge from those is ridiculous.

But yes, since it's been doing fine, just try safe mode, and a reinstall of the drivers.
        :icon_bigg
        It's Gaming
        Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I cleaned out my whole PC and still nothing. When i first bought it, at startup the fan usually runs fast and loud for a few seconds then runs slow which I think is normal. Now the fan runs fast and loud throughout the whole time. So i know something must be wrong

Comment

Do the safe mode launch, uninstall the driver, run driver cleaner or driver sweeper and then re-install with a known good driver. That would be a good first step.

I would also check in your BIOS for settings related to "wake on" like wake on a certain key strike or input from a device. Perhaps something in there will give you an answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
              Do the safe mode launch, uninstall the driver, run driver cleaner or driver sweeper and then re-install with a known good driver. That would be a good first step.

I would also check in your BIOS for settings related to "wake on" like wake on a certain key strike or input from a device. Perhaps something in there will give you an answer?
              Instead of reinstalling the driver, use the Windows generic driver for the time being.

If your monitor still goes into sleep mode on a cold start / restart, then it is either a loose cable, bad cable, or the graphics card itself is at fault.

1) I'd first unplug the cable and replug it in. I had a similar problem a while back, and this did the trick (after a few times).

2) Try a new cable.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Im gonna ship the card back to BFG to get it fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Barrel Chest View Post
                  I was thinking of shipping the card back to BFG to get it fixed but idk if its gonna be worth it since im gonna build a new PC in a few months. By the way, how much would shipping be?
                  You could ship it via USPS Priority Mail (using one of the flat rate boxes) for about $10. It would get to BFG's repair center in 2-3 days.

Otherwise, you could ship it via USPS Parcel Post which might run you a dollar or two less or more depending on the overall weight of the package (3-7 days shipping time). UPS, I wouldn't recommend as it usually costs a bit more (3-5 days shipping time).

That's usually what I do when I'm RMA'ing hardware or getting something repaired. It speeds up the process and trims a few days off of waiting for the new part to arrive.

When shipping remember, to wrap the item in bubble wrap (at least 3 layers). Don't just throw the part into the box with the styrofoam peanuts since the static build up will kill your part before it arrives and then you won't get a RMA.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I put newspaper, does that work?

Comment

I always save my antistatic bags parts come in. Do you still have yours?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Barrel Chest View Post
                        I put newspaper, does that work?
                        You should still wrap the card in several layers of bubble wrap. Newspaper isn't very good cushion since it usually goes flat fast with the jostling around a package goes through.

Plus you don't want some of that ink running and getting all over the graphics card.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                        I always save my antistatic bags parts come in. Do you still have yours?
                        If he still has his, he should put his card in there first. That'll help prevent any static from collecting on the hardware.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

With the amount of newspaper I put in there, that bad boy aint going nowhere!! LOL. Those BFG guys are gonna have lots of fun unwrapping the package :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X