Wireless Router Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router Suggestions?

So I own a D-Link DI-634M wireless router I picked up for cheap from Costco and the old girl seems to be on its last legs. Can't say that I blame it since it's been my wireless hub for a good 4-5 years now.

Any good suggestions for a decent wireless router that's a good balance between performance and cost? At most it'll only have to deal with maybe 5-6 computers on it at the same time (3 desktops and 2-3 laptops) for general home type things like internet surfing and the rare occassional gamer (never more than 2 computers at a time though). Connection is currently SBCGlobal professional DSL (Yeah, I know AT&T bought them out, but its still called SBCGlobal DSL for some reason) with a moderately fast speed.
    My sanity is not in question...
    It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Re: Wireless Router Suggestions?

I have an Belkin for a couple of years with no problems.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

By far the most recommended router is the Linksys WRT-54GL with the firmware flashed to DD-WRT. Make sure you get the "L" (Linux) version. That is the one that can be flashed with the DD-WRT firmware.
      Twisted Firestarter
      a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
      sigpic

Comment

i have nothing but praise with my linksys WRT 54GL, its been going strong for 2 years, and i have never NEEDED to reset it, it has been reset, but not out of need, speed is decent, faster than most internet connections, but wireless computer to wireless computer file transfering is only about 2 MBps, 4.5 MBps if wireless to wired file transfers, and a hard drive limited 90MBps wired to wired file transfer (1/10/100, no gigabit ethernet), which is the only drawback for this wireless router
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

I use a Linksys WRT54GS and only had to reset it a few times, I have it a few years so I am sure there is a better model of it out there, I have used a belkin router before and had to keep resetting it and there were times it just would not work, but maybe that was just me and my lack of router knowledge in those days.

I also have a linksys wireless adapter that I use up in a friends house who also has the same router and it works a treat, type in pass key and off you go, the only problem I had was with the linksys software that came with the adapter would not work for me so I have to use the operating systems wireless software instead and it works a treat with that.

If I was to but a new one it would be a linksys......besides...I think they look cool.

Comment

I've used a Linksys WRT-54G for years now. My ex-wife got my last one, so I bought another. They have proven to be reliable routers with a good interface to set it up with. However, I just upgraded to this badboy...
            [media]http://www.t-mobile.com/images/products/linksys_wrtu54g/370x400.jpg[/media]
            http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...ireless-Router

It's a Linksys Wireless Router that also has a Vonage type service. So now my home phone costs me $10/month for unlimited everything and the works! It only cost $39.99 to buy this router (with contract of course). So, if you are a T-Mobile customer, get this router for sure. :D
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
              [media]http://www.t-mobile.com/images/products/linksys_wrtu54g/370x400.jpg[/media]
              http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...ireless-Router
              Puuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......:row__575:

Comment

Stupid question: Will I need to get a new desktop and notebook reciever or can I use my D-Link cards with the Linksys system?
                My sanity is not in question...
                It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

I have the D-Link DIR-825 tons of connections hammering it all day. Qos is amazing + you future proof with N

Some charts http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
                    Stupid question: Will I need to get a new desktop and notebook reciever or can I use my D-Link cards with the Linksys system?
                    No. If your old D-Link cards support G, then you'll be able to use it with even a newer (draft) N router.

If you're upgrading to a (Draft - N isn't finalized yet) N router and your old does use G, then all of your network's wireless traffic will slow down to G speeds.

It's usually a good idea to have all your NICs supporting N if your router is N.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

WRT54G-TM here. It used to be the standard T-Mobile router for UMA/VOIP service ([email protected]) whereas the one mentioned by War.mongeR1 is the standard for their Vonage-style service.

Nice thing about the TM variant of the WRT54G is it has more RAM (32MB) and flash (8MB) then the standard 54GL router, otherwise it's basically the same thing. If you want to load DD-WRT firmware on it you can load the mega version. I used that briefly but then switched to the latest Tomato firmware.

T-Mobile is phasing out the that specific model but if you like running custom firmware you can keep an eye on www.geeks.com. It looks like it's currently showing out of stock there but a buddy snagged one from them for ~$35 including shipping. Ordered on Monday, got it on Friday.

Comment

Just thought I'd post this here, NewEgg has the Linksys WRT54GL for $65 with free shipping.

I highly recommend this router as it's one of the few that will take open source firmware without much of a complaint.

One other thing is Linksys may phase this model out abruptly as they sort of did with the WRT54G v4 (the v5 was deliberately made so people couldn't hack it and load other firmware on).
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I just got a Linksys WRT600N, which lets you run N and G wireless at the same time. It also has a USB port for file/media serving. Oh, and its 4 port wired switch is gigabit, which is nice for moving files back and forth between my computer and the media server.

I just need to find out if the PS3's ethernet is gigabit or not, so I can decide whether I want to bother with hardwiring it or not...
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            I just need to find out if the PS3's ethernet is gigabit or not, so I can decide whether I want to bother with hardwiring it or not...
                            Yes, the PS3's has a gigabit integrated NIC. (Source: IGN PS3 FAQ)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am no expert in routers but I like Linksys. I actually tried connecting a Belkins 54G router for my sister-in-law and after many attempts I could not get her laptop to connect, so I took it back and got her a Linksys and was connected in about 2 minutes. I have had my Linksys WRT54G for about a year and really no issues with it except when I have a power failure I need to disconnect the power cord to reset it. I should no longer have that problem cause I bought a battery backup for the modem, router, and my VOiP phone adapter. I will now have a phone when I have a power outage and even had it through the test yesterday and last night with the high winds interrupting the power a few times. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X