Router problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router problem

I'd been having a router/modem problem for some time where I would lose my connection until I rebooted both devices. I finally called Time Warner Cable to come out and the tech blamed it on their network in the neighborhood (I don't recall the exact explanation). He tinkered around outside and upgrade my coaxial cabling from the wall to the modem, which seemed to help, but the problem continued. I asked if it could be the 5+ year old modem, but he said no.

I lived with this until a couple months later when I switched the phone from AT&T to TWC, which resulted in a new modem that could provide the phone service. Well, I still lose my Internet connection periodically, but I only need to reboot the router and not the modem to restore it. Therefore, I begin to think maybe it was the router all along. It is a Linksys WRT55AG that was selected because it worked on A, B and G and was recommended for use with an XBOX360.

So yesterday I read in this thread that the WRT54GL is the best thing going, particularly once the firmware is updated/modded. My question is two-fold:

1. Does it sound like the current modem is my problem?
    2. Will this modem be any better?

I know there are other pertinent details that may need to be provided, so just let me know what you need to know to help me troubleshoot this.

Thanks
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Router problem

I have had similar problems like that in the past with routers. First 2 things I would try is to update the firmware and then use the IP reservation tool (in your router settings) for the cpu/devices in your house and assign them through the router. In my experience, it seems to help when you have multiple devices connecting at different times. I also have had the case where a new router made all of the difference too, but there are things you can try before you get to that point.

Comment

I've had problems similar to this with two D-Link routers I owned. I obtained the Cisco branded WRT54G2, and everything has worked flawlessly since. In fact, it's far more robust.

Plus, they recently released a flavor of DDWRT for it. Though really it's better suited for the older Linksys WRT54G routers with the larger ROM and memory size.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I had a similar problem with Charter up in Fort Worth. They liked to reset my ip at around midnight just about every night I was using it. It ended up being two things, signal loss on their end, and a lousy modem.

I then moved back to San Antonio with Time Warner last month, and voila, my internet AND router work flawlessly. Go figure, eh?

Your router might actually be just fine.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I was in a very similar situation last year, except I was on DSL with AT&T. For me, I eventually figured out that it was the DSL modem going bad after replacing every network card in every system, replacing the router with two different routers, and eventually going wireless.

Initially for you, it most likely was the modem causing problems.

Since you've replaced your modem, I would power cycle your router when you lose internet connectivity. If you start having to power cycle your router more frequently, then I'd look into a router replacement.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'll start by updating the firmware and if that doesn't solve it I'll try the IP reservation tool (whatever that is) that jb4 referred to. If that doesn't do it I'll get a newer modem and do the DDWRT/Tomato firmware upgrade.

If it matters...the modem currently supports two TiVos, two laptops, a Wii, a X360 and my PC. Only my PC is wired directly, the rest are wireless, and only the TiVos are always on, the laptops and consoles are in use sporadically. 95% of the time I lose connection nothing else is on the network except the TiVos, which should only be dialing in during the middle of the night.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

It is advisable to actually plug out your router/modem for 10-20 seconds a few times a week, it is much like rebooting your p.c. It may also fix most errors.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X