Dd-wrt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dd-wrt

Ever since I first heard of this custom firmware for Linksys routers, I was fascinated by it. Only to find out not too long afterward, that the "best" Linksys routers to get for it were under a certain version, as they began to use VxWorks software. This allowed them to use smaller hardware (cache and ROM size) as it wasn't as hardware-intensive. I didn't feel like trying to eBay for what I considered to be "old news" and I needed a newer router, so I bought what I did instead of a used, older Linksys.

I bought a CISCO branded Linksys router, because my D-Link router is not very good and tended to drop everyone if I had too many connections going at once (multiple downloads, or torrents) or I started up 2142 (knocked everyone off every time). So far it has worked wonderfully and did everything I needed it to. My biggest thing is the ability to create V-LANs, and lots of Routes as well as adjust the transmit power.

However, not too long ago I came across DD-WRT again and decided to do my research. Much to my delight, they DID finally release the firmware for my Cisco-branded Linksys! The WRT54G-2!

I finally got around to flashing it tonight, and so far with just the minimal configuration (and a slight bump in transmit power for my laptop in the basement and my sister's laptop upstairs, hehe...) it is working spectacularly. At the very least, there is no performance hit, and I have found that wireless clients are actually linking up FASTER than they did before. Plus the UI is VERY snappy and lag-free, and authentication logging in to it took just a quick second instead of a moment or two.

It will be, and it will take, time for me to go through all of the various settings and tweak them to my heart's content. In the meantime, have any of you DD'ed your router? -and if so, how do you like it? What brand/model did you flash? How's the performance? Any specific tweaks that worked well for you that I may consider adjusting on mine?
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Re: Dd-wrt

I have yet to DD my Linksys WRT54GL. From your short experience with it, I may just overcome my fear of bricking mines and flash it.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Make sure you flash it with an XP machine. There's something about the Linksys tftp utility that doesn't agree with Vista or 7. Not that it'll brick anything, just that it would always fail to find the router.

Ran it under XP and worked like a charm. All you have to do is go to the Supported Hardware tab on the site, search for your router, and it'll come up with a whole page for it with download links, instructions, everything. Same thing with the non-Sprint-blessed OS 4.5 for the Pearl 8130 I rooted out the other day ;) Desktop manager would hang in 7 when trying to update it, so I had to use my dad's XP laptop to update it as well.

There's just so much expanded capability now, in my little $50 router.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Great, I'll probably get around to it next weekend.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've got a WRT54G-TM that I snagged for free when I added T-Mobile [email protected] (UMA/VOIP) service a few months ago. It's basically the WRT54GL but with 32MB RAM and 8MB flash so you can load DD-WRT mega.

I used it for a about a week but read some reviews and tried the Tomato firmware (I can't tell for sure but it looks like it MIGHT be supported on the WRT54G2) and haven't looked back since.

For what I use it for, DD-WRT is almost TOO much functionality because you can spend tons of time tweaking it to get things just right. Tomato offers most of the same functionality but it seems a bit easier to set up initially and it's definitely faster in the web interface, etc.

Both are a HUGE jump in flexibility and functionality compared to the stock Linksys firmware and once you load one of them you can jump back and forth between Tomato and DD-WRT easily to see which one fits your needs best.

I was very impressed with Tomato when in 30 minutes I had it all configured and also had the SSH server on it up and running tested by the ability to tunnel in from work and then RDP into my machine at home. Stupid Websense at work blocks even the stuff I need for work (.e.g. Sourceforge so I can get new builds of Filezilla, etc.) so I just tunnel into home and download it there and then send it to work. It's nice to not have to have an SSH server running on the actual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
            I was very impressed with Tomato when in 30 minutes I had it all configured and also had the SSH server on it up and running tested by the ability to tunnel in from work and then RDP into my machine at home. Stupid Websense at work blocks even the stuff I need for work (.e.g. Sourceforge so I can get new builds of Filezilla, etc.) so I just tunnel into home and download it there and then send it to work. It's nice to not have to have an SSH server running on the actual machine.
            Assassin, in the future please keep your posts in English. :icon16:

I'm not nearly as technical as some of you guys, so is this something I want to tackle or am going to have to resort to calling my buddy the computer engineer?
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post

I'm not nearly as technical as some of you guys, so is this something I want to tackle or am going to have to resort to calling my buddy the computer engineer?
              You may not need to. Instructions for this stuff is usually pretty straightforward and spelled out in detail.

I'm not as technical minded as Assassin or Spulat when it comes to networking and servers, so if I'm confident I can do it, I would say most regular posters here can do it as well.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Hey, don't give me too much credit guys!

Before Tomato I didn't really know what an SSH server was. :) I'm probably no more network minded then you guys are, although I do have some technical background and for a newbie to the router firmware flashing game, the instructions on both the DD-WRT and Tomato websites was easily to follow and the flash process didn't take more then 5 minutes for either.

One of the primary reasons I switched to Tomato is from the reviews and comments I saw posted on several sites, the QoS works a little better in Tomato and I use it to prioritize the traffic from our three T-Mobile WiFi phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post

To be frank, if you're the kind of guy who's used to doing the guided setups on the stock firmware of most-all home routers, it's probably better that you leave it be. Unless you do a JTAG backup (sp?) which was unclear even for ME as of how to go about doing it, it's otherwise a 1-way firmware change on most of these routers. Meaning you can go DD-WRT to Tomato, and back again, but you can't go back to the stock Linksys firmware.

However, if your computer buddy can come by and fix it up in case you don't configure it right, then go right on ahead and do as much as you can :) unless you screw up the firmware upload, you won't brick it by messing up a setting. Well, perhaps unless you disable the Reset button in the interface. Then, well, I don't know if tftp will save you there. But if you do call him, make sure you buy him a nice lunch. We get cranky when we have to fix a mess. ;)

I've known about Tomato, but had forgotten about it mostly because it didn't support the G2, and I just double-checked the compatibility and it's still not available. There's probably a lot of options in here that I'll never need to touch, but what I mentioned in my post are about the only ones I ended up concerned about.

Comment

See what I mean? Even I'm a bit lost.

Okay, some terms I'm not understanding here Spulat (in bold) and a few lines I'm lost on (quoted):

Originally posted by Spulat
                    you do a JTAG backup (sp?)
                    JTAG? sp?

I don't know if tftp will save you there
                    TFTP? I've never heard of TFTP, what is that? What does the leading T stand for?

I've known about Tomato, but had forgotten about it mostly because it didn't support the G2
                    Why is G2 important? What is G2?

I've been thinking about Tomato as I don't want to spend an entire weekend tweaking DD-WRT to my heart's desire.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      See what I mean? Even I'm a bit lost.
                      Okay, some terms I'm not understanding here Spulat (in bold) and a few lines I'm lost on (quoted):
                      JTAG? sp?
                      http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...om_a_Bad_Flash

TFTP? I've never heard of TFTP, what is that? What does the leading T stand for?
                      Trivial File Transfer Protocol

Why is G2 important? What is G2?
                      I just abbreviated WRT54G2. The G2 series is the 'new' CISCO branded Linksys routers.

I've been thinking about Tomato as I don't want to spend an entire weekend tweaking DD-WRT to my heart's desire.
                      If your router supports Tomato, then let us know your impression of it too :)

Comment

Trivial FTP? Gonna go find a Wiki on that...never heard of it before.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Holy smokes...that was EASY!

Let me define "EASY":

1) Download Tomato version
                          2) Read the readme.html file
                          3) Log into router
                          4) Upload proper Tomato firmware version
                          5) Wait about 1-2 minutes for upload and reflashing
                          6) Auto-reboot
                          7) Log into router, play with settings. :)

I now have Tomato 1.23 firmware installed on my WRT54GL v.1.1. :)

I haven't messed with any of the settings yet, but I didn't have to reset everything, although I did save screenshots of my prior router settings.

Tomato seems to be way easier to get in than DD-WRT.

Edit:

Oh my...the information provided is so much better than Linksys's default firmware. I even have a complete picture of what is connected to each physical port as well as a complete clients list (wireless and wired). Plus there's signal strength and signal (attenuation?) strength bars...oooohhh...I falling in love with the red color. ;)

Wow, I love having a onboard router bandwidth meter. Might just put the individual ones I put on each PC out of date. :)

There are a lot of extra features that I don't understand yet, so I'm leaving them alone until I figure out what those acronyms mean and what is what.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            I now have Tomato 1.23 firmware installed on my WRT54GL v.1.1. :)

Oh my...the information provided is so much better than Linksys's default firmware. I even have a complete picture of what is connected to each physical port as well as a complete clients list (wireless and wired). Plus there's signal strength and signal (attenuation?) strength bars...oooohhh...I falling in love with the red color. ;)
                            FYI, there are additional color schemes available in the Administration section. I just couldn't get into the red scheme so it's one of the first things I changed.

As far as information, yep, lots of stuff there. One of the the other things I really like about Tomato is the bandwidth monitoring, etc. The pie charts and graphs are easy to read and very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
                              FYI, there are additional color schemes available in the Administration section. I just couldn't get into the red scheme so it's one of the first things I changed.

As far as information, yep, lots of stuff there. One of the the other things I really like about Tomato is the bandwidth monitoring, etc. The pie charts and graphs are easy to read and very informative.
                              Yet, I added my likings of that a little after you posted your reply. :row1_26:

I changed the color scheme to dark blue. I might custom CSS it later so I get a deep tomato red. ;)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X