Weird Computer Freezing Under Vista

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Computer Freezing Under Vista

So up until yesterday things were running fine and dandy on my PC. I've got a solid rig, with a 2.66ghz dual-core intel cpu, 4 gb of ram and a 8800 gts.

But as of yesterday, every time I double-click on the teamspeak icon, I get this weird pause of about 10 seconds where I can move my mouse but cannot click on anything (during this time the program does not appear to open). Then my mouse locks up too for about 5-10 seconds, and then teamspeak loads and everything works again. I get a very similar phenomenon when I load BF2142. Double click the icon, screen goes black like normal. But then it sits tehre for a little while before the game finally loads.

Interestingly, when I shut down either BF2142 or Teamspeak, I have another freeze up to 30 seconds then before the program shuts down and I can do anything on my pc.

Virus scan so far is negative. I defragged my hard drive. Reinstalled my sound drivers just in case. Other programs are fine. Firefox loads in a fraction of a second. I can play a very hard-drive intensive game Worldwide Soccer Manager with zero difficulty. I'm very confused and frustrated.

HELP!
    TG-3rd Special Forces is Active and Currenly Recruiting!

Re: Weird Computer Freezing Under Vista

So I just uninstalled Teamspeak and reinstalled it - and get *exactly* the same thing happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Crux View Post
      So up until yesterday things were running fine and dandy on my PC. I've got a solid rig, with a 2.66ghz dual-core intel cpu, 4 gb of ram and a 8800 gts.

But as of yesterday, every time I double-click on the teamspeak icon, I get this weird pause of about 10 seconds where I can move my mouse but cannot click on anything (during this time the program does not appear to open). Then my mouse locks up too for about 5-10 seconds, and then teamspeak loads and everything works again. I get a very similar phenomenon when I load BF2142. Double click the icon, screen goes black like normal. But then it sits tehre for a little while before the game finally loads.

Interestingly, when I shut down either BF2142 or Teamspeak, I have another freeze up to 30 seconds then before the program shuts down and I can do anything on my pc.

Virus scan so far is negative. I defragged my hard drive. Reinstalled my sound drivers just in case. Other programs are fine. Firefox loads in a fraction of a second. I can play a very hard-drive intensive game Worldwide Soccer Manager with zero difficulty. I'm very confused and frustrated.

HELP!
      Hmm. Something about both teamspeak and bf2142 is they use the internet and ports other than port 80.

Could there be some delay there? Maybe a router/firewall or virus/spyware detector?

What software was installed or updated in the days before this started happening?
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I installed some movie editing software, but have uninstalled that to see if that was the problem. The odd thing is the unresponsiveness of the computer while they are loading. The only meaningful update was the latest .NET framework update through windows, which installed successfully.

Comment

If you're running ZoneAlarm Firewall, shut it off. There's some unfixed bug where ZA's firewall and such will consume 50%+ of CPU time when you launch a new program.

I had that happen on my mom's system and on my own netbook and I've uninstalled it on both systems and no more weird lockups.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Not running Zonealarm.

Comment

Are you running anything else while trying to run TS?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nope. And it isn't limited to teamspeak. had the same issues with BF2142 with TS not on. Like just now I was in TS.. and it runs fine once I get it going. But then I exited the program right as Lyramion was saying something, and I heard him go 'upupupupupupupupup' for about 30 seconds straight.

Which would make me think it might be a sound driver problem, but I uninstalled and reinstalled my sound card drivers and no cigar.

Comment

Try opening TS in Safe Mode to see if you get this 30-second lock up.

That should tell us if the problem is caused by software.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Start up task manager before launching TS. Go to the performance tab and see if your PC is using a lot of resources while starting TS. You can also go to the processes tab and sort by CPU usage to see if a particular program is using all the CPU when you start TS.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                      Start up task manager before launching TS. Go to the performance tab and see if your PC is using a lot of resources while starting TS. You can also go to the processes tab and sort by CPU usage to see if a particular program is using all the CPU when you start TS.
                      tried this already. *Everything* freezes when the program starts to load, so I can't see what is using what resources. The instant it loads, everything is fine again, so I just don't get any information out of that.

Comment

So in safe mode it loaded in a fraction of a second. What now? :P

Comment

may be try an older driver?
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Crux View Post
                            So in safe mode it loaded in a fraction of a second. What now? :P
                            Now, we know it's software that's causing the problem.

Before we go about with a more laborous process of determining which software is causing the problem, can you tell us what background processes/programs you have running when trying to use TS and BF2142?

The next thing would be a laborous process involves a trial-and-error starting with background processes followed by drivers.

So for example: you uninstall your graphics driver, restart, and try opening TS.

You would repeat this until you either find your graphics or sound driver causing the issue or you eliminate them as possible causes. Of course, afterwards, you can reinstall your graphics and sound drivers if they are not the culprit.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, I uninstalled everything that had been installed in the last few days. Funnily enough it wasn't caused by the freeware editing software. It was the professional stuff! Stupid Cyberlink's PowerProducer/PowerDirector was the culprit!

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X