Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass

This just released, and confirmed by Microsoft.
    What the hell are they thinking. Every tech site out there is saying the exact opposite, but they screw it up anyway.

Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass

The following will be the actual new SKUs for the OS:

* Windows 7 Starter
    * Windows 7 Home Basic (for emerging markets)
    * Windows 7 Home Premium
    * Windows 7 Professional
    * Windows 7 Enterprise
    * Windows 7 Ultimate

This information has been confirmed by Microsoft... who never listens to us.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 SKUs announced: your worst nightmare has come to pass

Why did they do this?! WHY?!

...Oh yeah its microsoft >.<

Comment

Idiots. Marketing has their head up their butts.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Why in the world do we need a "Professional" and "Enterprise" edition? Couldn't they just roll that into one?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

this article tells a little bit of a different story.
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Great link Reaper. That makes more since.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Huh? These are the exact same SKUs Vista has now. They just changed Business to Professional.

Having 2 separate home versions is annoying again, but nothing new. (Only difference IIRC is Basic lacks Aero)

Edit: According to Thurott, there isn't a Home Basic, so this is great, only 2 retail versions, Home and Professional, just like it should be.

But really, either way this is great, I had the Buisness version of Vista and was annoyed at its lack of many Home Premium features like native DVD playback, and the media center, so it's good to see each version is now actually a step up from the previous.

Comment

This is the first comment I saw and I too would like this edition.

I would very much like a Windows 7 No Extra Crap edition. It just comes with everything already disabled that I'm going to turn off, anyways, right when it's installed. It's not like the other versions are any more distinguished from each other and justifiable, so why not? I think it would be really useful, but that's why it will never happen, and we'll just keep getting WINDOWS OVER 9,000 ULTRA MEGA WALLET PWN EDITION.

Comment

I just want an option to boot into like "Game Mode". Pretty much the same thing the commentor above described, but the option to turn it on or off.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    I just want an option to boot into like "Game Mode". Pretty much the same thing the commentor above described, but the option to turn it on or off.
                    Game Mode would Rock.....
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Ha! Remember when you had to have a boot disk for each game you played? That sucked so hard...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Still think there are too many SKU's.

All you need is two. Home and Business.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          All you need is two. Home and Business.
                          see when that happens people will start complaining about not having enough variety that is tailored to their needs :)
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                            see when that happens people will start complaining about not having enough variety that is tailored to their needs :)
                            Actually, all we need is one edition that lets users choose what they want or don't want installed (aka packages) much like how some Linux flavors have.

Then no more confusing editions, no separate pricing schemes, and only one darn DVD to worry about, not one for each of the 7 editions they have going.

Originally posted by JMaker
                            This is the first comment I saw and I too would like this edition.

I would very much like a Windows 7 No Extra Crap edition. It just comes with everything already disabled that I'm going to turn off, anyways, right when it's installed. It's not like the other versions are any more distinguished from each other and justifiable, so why not? I think it would be really useful, but that's why it will never happen, and we'll just keep getting WINDOWS OVER 9,000 ULTRA MEGA WALLET PWN EDITION.
                            There's always the various flavors of Linux to choose from, like Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, and Fedora. Or you could get FreeBSD and write your own simple GUI. Then there won't be any extra "crap" but what you decide you need to install/write. ;)

Maybe ReactOS might be a better Windows alternative since it's built off of the NT platform but is "open source" and very minimalistic. I know it appeals to some hardcore enthusiasts who can't deal with Linux, but want to play their games and use Windows, but bash all the extra visual effects and such.

As for TR's report (from Thurrott's list), I think Win7 Pro would fit me best because of the inclusion of EFS, remote desktop hosting, and presentation mode. I have no clue what this "location-aware printing" is supposed to be. Will try to read up on it later on the weekend.
                            Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 02-04-2009, 02:57 AM.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Windows 7 Starter - stripped down version for new PCs only; can only run three applications at once.
                              Did anyone catch that? What could be the purpose of limiting the number of apps you can run? So I can have Firefox, Outlook, and Word running, but too bad if I want to open Photoshop, eh? So random.....
                              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X