Odd power problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd power problem

Ok, i got a GTX 280 for a 150 dollars less than the usual price. The card pulls on 40 amps and around 350 watts. My PSU can provide 60 amps and 750 watts.

The card requires 1 six pin and 1 eight pin PCI power. My PSU has 3 6+2 pin cables.

The weird thing here is the fact that when i use the plugs directly from my PSU, the card blinks a red light and shut the monitor down. In order for the card to work, i have to have two 6 pins converted into one 8 pin using an adapter as well as my other 8 pin acting as a 6. This makes the wires so bulky that i can close my case. Any ideas on whats wrong.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Odd power problem

What brand/model is your PSU? I think most 750W PSUs of reputable brands would be more than sufficient for a GTX280 card.

Also, why are you not using one of your three 8-pin PCI-E power plugs instead of the 6-pins?

Also make sure that the cable supplying power to your video card is not also supplying power to another component.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

The 8 pins aren't true 8 pins but the 6 + 2.

These cables are dedicated to the PCI slot. They only have one plug on the cable.
      |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

The 8 pins aren't true 8 pins but teh 6 + 2.
        For the love of God...that is a 8-pin!

The 6 + 2 allows it to be backwards compatible and allow those who have used up the other 6-pins but still need more to separate the 2-pin from the 8-pin to make it into a 6-pin.

And since you have a Corsair 750TX, I see no reason why that PSU would not provide enough power for all of your components. It's not like you had 2, 3, or 4 GTX280s in your rig (at which point, dual PSUs might be needed).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For some reason, they don't work. The red light flashes and the screen shuts down on boot.

The adapter with having 2 6-pins being converted to one 8-pin does work for some reason. I'm completely dumbfounded by this.

EDIT: I'm back on the old card now. The GTX280 crapped out when i tried to play a game. The light flashed red and the computer shutdown completely. I can't tell if it's a power problem or the card.
          Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Ah. I apologize, I did not realize that a single 8-pin connector doesn't supply all the power needed by the card. (Please forgive me. *sniff sniff - looks at you with big eyes*)

According to this thread (post #11), you do need to use the double 6-pin to 8-pin converter for your card. That's the only way to supply the needed 40 amps of power to it.

If you scroll down to the first picture, it's the cable next to the black power cable on the right side.

What else do you have running in your rig?

If 60A is still not enough, you might have to go and splurge on one of those 1000W/1200W PSUs that usually sell for $300+.

Knowing this, I won't ever get the GTX280. That is way too power hungry. That's more juice than my system eats at full load: 480W (12 * 40).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would advise looking for a power supply calculator and see how much power you are using, it will give you a general idea, and that GPU can eat a lot of power, but it does seem strange that it wont boot as the card is pretty energy efficient sometimes only drawing 25 watts or even shuts down completly and lets windows do the rest when the card is not needed.
              Maybe try the other connectors or swap them around, see if anything looks cracked or bent on the both the female and male connectors and their surroundings, even if the card can draw up to 300/400 watts at full load, you should still be able to boot, maybe the card is receiving a power surge when turning on the P.C and depending on how much power the rest of your components are using maybe that causes the card to shut down.

Sure is a brain tickler though :icon_conf

Comment

I have 8 gigs of DDR 2 ram slightly underclocked, an e8400 not oced, 3 disk drives, and one hardrive. One disk drive is IDE, one's SATA, and one's USB. The hardrive is a SATA.

This is all on a 780i Motherboard. Would using another of my 3 PCIe slots help at all. I can also yank 4 gigs out of my computer if it's necessary.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Wait wait...let me use the eXtreme PSU Calculator on your rig. How many case fans and what size? Any sound card?

Here are the results with some presumptions on parts:

It looks like the PSU should supply more than enough power to all of your components.

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No sound card. The only fans on the case besides the PSU, Intel Stock, GPU, and Northbridge fan is the one in the back. That is an 80 millimeter that hooks up to the power supply with the four pins.
                    |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Refresh. Even with extra case fans (120mm high performance) and a sound card (SB, etc.), your rig should eat about 40A on the +12V rail. Your Corsair PSU should supply more than enough power.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Does the fact that all my USB slots are filled with either my mouse, DVD drive, joystick, and keyboard draw much power. I reinstalled the card, using the adaptor of 2 6 into 8. The desktop works fine, the second i enter a 3d enviroment, the card goes red and shuts the screen down. A hard boot is required from there.

One other note, my computer is plugged into a power strip along with several other things, you think a outlet in the wall is better.
                        Last edited by Sir-Nerd; 02-06-2009, 04:03 PM.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to try a direct wall outlet.

Some of those USB devices have their own power. In addition, everything else doesn't draw a lot of power (since the most is 0.5A @ 5v = 2.5W per USB port whose device doesn't have its own power supply).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I did that, any 3d application causes the thing to crash. The card shows a red light and the fan stops running completly. You think i should return this thing to NewEgg or EVGA. I want my 300 dollars worth at least.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

That would be advisable or get a new powerful PSU to give it another go.

It sounds like the card is either overheating or when it draws more power, it overloads the PSU causing the overvoltage protection (in PSU) to kick in and shut power off to your entire system.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X