Windows 7 Search Federation--Sweet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Search Federation--Sweet!

Windows 7 supports the open source search federation providers. I'm surprised we haven't seen more interest in this in reviews of Win7--it's a pretty cool technology. It gives you the ability to install new search providers--called connectors--that are then integrated directly into the explorer shell. For example, there is a Flickr connector. Once installed, you can see your searches in explorer:

From there it's the same as searching locally, albeit slower:

I'm returning images in this example. What is cool is that clicking on an image allows you to view all the metadata--title, tags, aurthors, created date, etc--at the bottom of the window, just as you would for a local image and double-clicking it will bring up the default image viewer.

This has some interesting possibilities such as being able to search the daily deals in NewEgg, or posts in TG.

The connector file is an XML in the OpenSearch format for RSS2 feeds, so it's easily editable. As long as as the website supports an RSS feed with a query parameter such as www.somewebsite.com/rss.aspx?q=myQuery then it can be integrated into a connector.

You can find a bunch of connectors here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...providers.html
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Windows 7 Search Federation--Sweet!

Sounds good but I cant believe microsoft would allow something like google onto their desktop

I actually find the search and general browse dialogues difficult to use. I'd like to load in a custom reversion to xp on this

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Is this feature available in Vista or is this added on functionality for Windows 7 only?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Is this feature available in Vista or is this added on functionality for Windows 7 only?
        It's Win7 only.
        Twisted Firestarter
        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed