Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's got in-wall or in-ceiling home theater speakers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's got in-wall or in-ceiling home theater speakers?

Do you like them? Regret going with them instead of traditional wall mounted speakers? Sound just as good as traditional speakers? Sound good enough?

I know that in-wall speakers aren't able to sound as good as traditional speakers, but I'm seeing and hearing a lot more about them. As my front speakers are going to be traditional free standing speakers, I'm wondering if the in-wall stuff will satisfy me for surround/multichannel audio. Most of the music that I'm really picky about will be using just the stereo speakers, so this seems doable. My fronts are Infinity, so I kinda wanted to stick with Infinity for the surrounds, but Polk seems to have much better products for a similar price. I'm worried about the voice matching if I go with different brands, though...

Anyway, thought I'd see if anyone here had opinions on this...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Who's got in-wall or in-ceiling home theater speakers?

I think you'll find that just as the quality of traditional speakers effects sound, the quality of in-wall/ceiling speakers effect sound. Most of your you're going to hear comes from the front/center channels.

Where are you thinking of using in-wall/ceiling speakers? I have my fronts/center as traditional speakers... and the rear as in-ceiling. The rears tend to be more for effects/surround and you won't really notice a quality difference.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
      I think you'll find that just as the quality of traditional speakers effects sound, the quality of in-wall/ceiling speakers effect sound. Most of your you're going to hear comes from the front/center channels.

Where are you thinking of using in-wall/ceiling speakers? I have my fronts/center as traditional speakers... and the rear as in-ceiling. The rears tend to be more for effects/surround and you won't really notice a quality difference.
      Yeah, I'm only considering these for surround speakers. I'm going to go all out and do a 7.1 setup.

You're happy with the performance of in-ceiling for rear surrounds? What speakers are you using?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

the only problem I've found with using the in-ceiling speakers is that it occasionally messes with the stage. Occasionally you feel as though the rear effects are coming from above you instead of behind you. It kinda depends on how much room you have, the closer the rear ceiling mounted to the listening area, the bigger the problem may be. Just something to think about, after experiencing that at a friend's house I mounted my 7.1 setup on speaker stands.

Comment

I have Klipsch in-ceiling speakers. And as mach said... positioning is important.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

I do not have them in the hovel I live in now, but in my other home I had B&W's in the walls. I would stay WAY back from "ceiling" anything as it throws everything way off and there is no way to correct for "phase" when it is supposed to be behind you but is stuck above.

My "media" room if you want to call it that, was nice and rectangular and I was able to use a few of my "gadgets" to eliminate acoustic issues and really had the room dialed in..but that was back in the 5.1 days..

I have helped work on a good friends "budget" system and if you can do the installation yourself, it is very possible to have VERY good sound quality for under $5K..not everything has to be Macintosh and B&W.

I believe that as stated above, positioning is everything. A $2K driver 5'-0" off the floor in your wall is not going to sound good if you are in lounges that seat you 24" off the floor..

Comment

The only reason I wouldn't do in-wall speakers is because you might want to change your positioning or set-up later on. But that's for the fronts and rears. I think it might work out quite nicely for the mid-side speakers that aren't quite as critical.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

i dont like the in-wall speakers cause it hinders the performance of the vibration of the sound.. well you can gain benefits like more space and neat look..
                but you can do that to wall mounted too with just a proper location on your room.
                If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Optimum speaker placement is 7 identical speakers at equal distance from the listener. Of course everyone has to compromise on this, but you try to come as close as you can. So in-wall over in-ceiling. Same brand, over different etc.

Comment

I run Bose 5.1's. As mentioned placement is the key. Also, if the room is tiled get an area rug. Sound will bounce off the tile. My house is all tile except in the family room for the surround sound.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X