X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top applications to install after a fresh OS installation

Techspot just posted this pretty good article:

Top applications to install after a fresh OS installation

I agree with and have done a lot of the ones they mention. Any other you guys install?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Top applications to install after a fresh OS installation

I agree with almost all of them, except the COMODO firewall. I tried it and didn't like it that much. Everytime I launched a new application, it would quadruple ask me if to allow access....otherwise I pretty much have everything on that list :)

Comment

I haven't installed some the usual programs on a clean OS system (like the recent upgrade of my sister's to Vista).

I use Avast instead of AVG Free (again) simply because it won't hang, corrupt, or fail to update like AVG. CCleaner and Spybot I also use. I put on PrimoPDF (print to file) and Adobe Reader instead of the FoxIt reader. And WinRAR instead of 7Zip since no one else in the house other than me recognizes 7Zip.

Interesting that they only include Comodo and uTorrent for firewall and torrent clients. Some might use ZA Free/Pro or, say, BitComet rather than the above two.

Originally posted by Fl1pmode1
      I agree with almost all of them, except the COMODO firewall. I tried it and didn't like it that much. Everytime I launched a new application, it would quadruple ask me if to allow access....otherwise I pretty much have everything on that list
      If you're used to using ZA Free/Pro/Suite, then Comodo is just as "annoying" if not more so.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by jagass
        Where did you get that...You did it?
        Get what? Did what?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't see a reason to recommend ZA since it is heavy on resources. It makes me wonder when my router config has a special use case for ZA. Plus, Comodo is free.

It's odd that there aren't alternatives to uTorrent. BitComet and Azureus are quite popular and usually on the white list of private trackers. Although, I never liked Azureus and find it resource intensive.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I thought ZA was bad enough its like the return of popup ads for firewall access..

Comment

The first things I install excluding drivers are:
              Mozilla
              AVG
              Spybot S&D
              Adaware SE Personal
              OpenOffice
              K-lite Codec Pack with Media Player Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                I haven't installed some the usual programs on a clean OS system (like the recent upgrade of my sister's to Vista).

I use Avast instead of AVG Free (again) simply because it won't hang, corrupt, or fail to update like AVG. CCleaner and Spybot I also use. I put on PrimoPDF (print to file) and Adobe Reader instead of the FoxIt reader. And WinRAR instead of 7Zip since no one else in the house other than me recognizes 7Zip.

Interesting that they only include Comodo and uTorrent for firewall and torrent clients. Some might use ZA Free/Pro or, say, BitComet rather than the above two.

If you're used to using ZA Free/Pro/Suite, then Comodo is just as "annoying" if not more so.
                I used ZA in the past on my old XP pc and it didn't give me as much headache as Comodo did on my Vista laptop. How is Avast anyway? I recently had to force uninstall (don't ask how) AVG because it wouldn't update and am wondering in what another free antivirus I could use.

Comment

I'm using avast right now and it does its job.

Stuff to install:
                  Avast
                  Chrome and FF
                  7zip
                  CCleaner
                  JKDefragGUI
                  ImgBurn
                  RocketDock (can't live w/o it now)
                  VLC
                  then games (steam and BF)
                  Evga precision
                  office 2003
                  and most likely utorrent (such a revelation after vuze)
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

One program that I find rather handy is Process Explorer. its a free download from microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

a brief description from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer

I have been using Avast as my antivirus for several years. it was the first to offer AV for 64 bit windows, and i have stuck with it ever since. no problems with it at all.

Comment

How could you guys forget my favorite?! DVD Shrink!
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I have a bunch of programs as portable apps, so the only "install I do for them is copy over the shortcuts:

VLC
                        Firefox 3
                        audacity
                        audiograbber
                        7zip
                        windirstat
                        utorrent
                        DVD Shrink

then I install:
                        Adobe Master Collection CS4
                        Corel Suite x4
                        Office 2007
                        VMWare
                        Nero
                        SlingPlayer
                        AVS Video Tools
                        CCleaner
                        Revo Uninstaller
                        AVG
                        MediaMonkey
                        WME9
                        Cabos
                        LogMeIn
                        HtmlKit
                        SSH
                        Flac
                        PowerISO
                        PDANet

all of those are a must have
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                          I used ZA in the past on my old XP pc and it didn't give me as much headache as Comodo did on my Vista laptop. How is Avast anyway? I recently had to force uninstall (don't ask how) AVG because it wouldn't update and am wondering in what another free antivirus I could use.
                          It's good and free. Supposedly both AVG and Avast get a higher number of false positives than paid AV programs like NOD32/Kaspersky. I've only encountered a few falses.

Personally, the GUI doesn't have a large banner ad on the bottom nagging you to buy their full version. I've never had a failed update that requires me to hack my registry or do a reinstall (unlike AVG). It has daily updates and does update daily (sometimes more than once a day), but it's very quick.

The last thing I like is by default, it will give you a "red alert" khalaxon similar to the one from Star Trek, a audio warning, and a window warning you when a virus is detected.

It may not be the fastest scanner (probably amongst the slower ones), but it's not resources intensive.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't think I could live without Launchy on my Windows box.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchy

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              It's good and free. Supposedly both AVG and Avast get a higher number of false positives than paid AV programs like NOD32/Kaspersky. I've only encountered a few falses.

Personally, the GUI doesn't have a large banner ad on the bottom nagging you to buy their full version. I've never had a failed update that requires me to hack my registry or do a reinstall (unlike AVG). It has daily updates and does update daily (sometimes more than once a day), but it's very quick.

The last thing I like is by default, it will give you a "red alert" khalaxon similar to the one from Star Trek, a audio warning, and a window warning you when a virus is detected.

It may not be the fastest scanner (probably amongst the slower ones), but it's not resources intensive.

I agree, I have used AVG and Avast and recommend Avast by far.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X