• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel demos first-ever 32nm processors

Big news out today. Sadly, no benchmarks or anything, but still news:

Intel demos first-ever 32nm processors - Engadget

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel demos first-ever 32nm processors

MaximumPC has a big explination of what Intel is doing for the next year or so, and finally helps explain some things.

Smaller, Better Faster: Intel to Hit with 32nm CPUs This Year

If you are thinking of building between now and the end of the year, you are going to want to read it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

an article just to help clear up some confusion, it is a bit technical though but really nice.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

So should I hold off on building a new pc until these things are mass marketed? I'm thinking it'll not only be a sweet chip, but should cause the 45nm chips to drop in price! Either way, I find this kind of exciting! I can't wait to see what AMD punches back with! I'm a huge AMD fan and a bit of a loyalist, but honestly Intel has been making some really good chips lately. I might become a traitor and go the Intel route on my next computer.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

The woes of being a PC gamer. While I love my i7 the constant need to upgrade still pulls at my leg.

Comment

That heatsink is really dense. There are so many fins so close to one another.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
              The woes of being a PC gamer. While I love my i7 the constant need to upgrade still pulls at my leg.
              As much as I want to buy a new pc, school comes first. School expenses eat your budget up faast. You will learn that one day :)

That is a HUGE heatsink.... I wonder if the processor is faster than the i7.

Comment

I like the conclusions the Anandtech article posted above says:

At the very high end, Core i7 users have little reason to worry. While Intel is expected to bump i7 up to 3.33GHz in the near future, nothing below i7 looks threatening in 2009. Moving into 2010, the 6-core 32nm i7 successor should be extremely powerful. Intel’s strategy with LGA-1366 makes a lot of sense: if you want more cores, this is the platform you’re going to have to be on.
                Intel did mention that the most overclockable processors would go into the LGA-1366 socket. Combine better overclockability with the promise of 6 cores in the future and it seems like LGA-1366 is shaping up to be a platform that’s going to stick around despite cheaper alternatives.
                The 32nm Clarkdale/Arrandale parts arriving by the end of this year really means one very important thing: the time to buy a new notebook will be either in Q4 2009 or Q1 2010. A 2-core, 4-thread 32nm Westmere derivative is not only going to put current Penryn cores to shame, it’s going to be extremely power efficient.
                If I had to build a new desktop today I’d go Core i7 and think about upgrading to a 6-core version sometime next year. If I couldn’t or didn’t need to build today, then the thing to wait for is Lynnfield. Four cores that should deliver i7-like performance just can’t be beat, and platform costs will be much cheaper by then (expect ~$100 motherboards and near price parity between DDR3 and DDR2).

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'll just beat the crap out of my 775 until something breaks, then i'll move on.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Maybe I'll forego my Phenom II upgrade this summer, after all. But then, I'd feel guilty abandoning the AMD camp I've nestled myself in for so so many years....
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

My 65nm E6750 will be humming along happily @ +3.2GHz till 32nm becomes mainstream most likely.
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X