Data Backup Tools (Vista)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Backup Tools (Vista)

What would you guys recommend for data backup? I would like to backup all my projects, emails, etc. to an external hard-drive weekly.

The tool with Vista seems decent, and intergrates well with the Windows UI. But, well... I just don't trust it. It also backs up everything, and doesn't allow you to select source directories, etc.

Thoughts & recommendations would be appreciated

Re: Data Backup Tools (Vista)

I always found getting a external hard drive, removing the preinstalled gunk, and copying files and such over works best for me.

I currently backup my data using a WD 500 GB external HDD (has USB, Firewire, and eSATA ports). I have it hooked up via Firewire since I have many large files (various OS images, etc).

You could also use Malcrum Free or Acronis to make a image of your hard drive and then store the image onto a external drive. That way you can later remount the image using a emulator and retrieve files or reimage a new drive using the image (provided the new drive isn't smaller capacity than the image itself).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use Acronis.

Comment

mozy.com <-- only place I store backups.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Also checkout: www.backblaze.com/

Most of the IT guys I know use and recommend it.

:icon_frow
          |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
          sigpic

Comment

I find that the best way of getting rig of non wanted porg. malware, keeping a nice running computer.. isbuying yourself a nice top market external hard drive... copoying you files onto it (only those you are sure srent mallware and arent infected) and formatting everything. Some say deviding your hardrive is good to but I find that there are all sorts of viruses and infectious malware out there that you should be extra carefull.

Comment

I've done two restores with the Windows backup now, one of which was from the image it took. It returned everything as expected, thus have been given no reason to dis-trust it.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X