Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

False rumor: Western Digital Buys Seagate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False rumor: Western Digital Buys Seagate?

All right, so I just got back from BestBuy after returning a battery and buying another external HDD.

I overheard one of the blue-shirt reps helping a clueless customer and he spews out that "WD bought out Seagate so all of the drives are the same". I butt in and say that is not true and that they are separate companies. He retorts back they WD just bought Seagate.

I've been around the 'net and several reputable blogs and industry sites and there is no mention of WD buying out Seagate.

I should have asked him for his source, but he quickly walked away. Plus, some of us would be pretty confused/mad if WD bought out Seagate especially since Seagate has said late last year that they were "not for sale".

Has anyone else heard this?

(P.S. I swear, these BestBuy reps/Geek Squad get dummer every time I shop there. This is not the first rumor I've gotten as if it were a fact from a BB rep --- if it is a rumor.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Western Digital Buys Seagate?

He was an idiot.
    I was in Office Depot the other day (not because I wanted to be, I had a gift card), and there was a guy trying to buy a computer for his kid that was about to start college (this was end of Dec.).

He was clueless to the difference between Mac and a PC, and had seen commericials and stuff, so asked the rep what he thought. The rep said "oh, you don't want a mac. PCs are the original, and Steve Jobs stole the Mac OS from microsoft back in the 80s"

I'm not joking, those were his exact words. I had to really control myself not to go up and bitch slap the sales guy.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      I'm not joking, those were his exact words. I had to really control myself not to go up and bitch slap the sales guy.
      I would have gone up and butted in to correct the idiot. Someone apparently does not know that Apple stole the GUI OS from Xerox and MS stole it in turn from Apple.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know the sales reps at all the tech stores or even the stores that sell tech hate me. I give my opinion EVERY time.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Heaven forbid people know about technology! I mean isnt it like auto repair, we just do what the mechanic says to do? Its nice being an informed consumer :)

Comment

Hah, that rep made my computer-illiterate mom look knowledgable in computers!

Comment

that just pisses me off, and is one reason why i hate going to BB.. because nobody working there knows half about electronics as me... and when they try to "sell" something to me, i inturrupt them, blatantly insult their lack of knowledge, tell them how it really is, and then tell them i dont need any help whatsoever.. i have heard rumors about newegg going out of business (i saw memory prices and for 2gb of laptop ddr2 566 was 90 bucks, and stated that it was less than 30 on newegg) dell and gateway merging, apple going out of business... all from BB "experts"
              powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                that just pisses me off, and is one reason why i hate going to BB.. because nobody working there knows half about electronics as me... and when they try to "sell" something to me, i inturrupt them, blatantly insult their lack of knowledge, tell them how it really is, and then tell them i dont need any help whatsoever.. i have heard rumors about newegg going out of business (i saw memory prices and for 2gb of laptop ddr2 566 was 90 bucks, and stated that it was less than 30 on newegg) dell and gateway merging, apple going out of business... all from BB "experts"
                been there done that. actually helped an older couple buy the "right" PC for them because the rep wanted them to buy the higher dollar model plus all the service plans. I saved them alot of money.

They do not like being made to look stupid. Even the managers admit to this.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

I think that one day i will just need to walk in there like a little innocent kid and ask the "experts" that i need a new video card for my computer and see what they will tell them to get. then just say them out on how they are wrong and that they got owned by a 16 year old kid that knows more than him.
                  |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

I will admit though that one time I did have a BB tv salesman talk me out of buying a $2000+ Sony WVAG (or however it was spelled). This was about 4-5 years ago, and I was ready to spend the money, and he talked me into holding off. This was one of the big silver 40" CRT ones that weighed like 400lbs.

Glad he did.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      I will admit though that one time I did have a BB tv salesman talk me out of buying a $2000+ Sony WVAG (or however it was spelled). This was about 4-5 years ago, and I was ready to spend the money, and he talked me into holding off. This was one of the big silver 40" CRT ones that weighed like 400lbs.

Glad he did.
                      If I could find that thing used for about $700 I would buy it in a second. A good CRT makes a great LCD look like crap.

I thought my friend was crazy when he bought a 32" wide-screen format CRT. Then I saw the picture. Man is it good. The colors are vivid and the action scenes don't ever, ever blur. The blacks are actually BLACK and no need to post contrast numbers because they are assumed to be good.

It is going to be years before an LCD looks as good as CRT. Damn kids today don't know what is good for 'em.

Unnecessary, uncalled for and thread-jacking rant over.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        If I could find that thing used for about $700 I would buy it in a second. A good CRT makes a great LCD look like crap.

I thought my friend was crazy when he bought a 32" wide-screen format CRT. Then I saw the picture. Man is it good. The colors are vivid and the action scenes don't ever, ever blur. The blacks are actually BLACK and no need to post contrast numbers because they are assumed to be good.

It is going to be years before an LCD looks as good as CRT. Damn kids today don't know what is good for 'em.

Unnecessary, uncalled for and thread-jacking rant over.
                        How does that $2500 Samsung HD LCD TV they have at BB compare? It does have an amazing 50,000:1 contrast ratio.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          How does that $2500 Samsung HD LCD TV they have at BB compare? It does have an amazing 50,000:1 contrast ratio.
                          I would bet that the picture on the CRT is just as good, if not better, than that of the LCD when you consider all aspects of picture. This includes viewing angles, contrast (btw I bet the 50k:1 thing is mostly hype under specific circumstances), color reproduction, picture quality in various ambient brightness levels, black levels, motion reproduction etc.

It is just like comparing Film vs Digital recordings. Film is just better. Digital will always be a pale comparison to Film.

Good analog will FOR A LONG TIME be better in quality than good digital. Digital is just easier to manipulate/distribute.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Seagate bought Maxtor a few years back. Otherwise, as far as I know WD and Seagate are separate...

First off I work retail (and NOT for the big yellow sign) I know enough about PC's to give people honest answers, but the biggest thing that has saved my life is admitting when I don't know the answer. At that point I'll ask a co-worker or try to look it up, but I know never to BS a customer, because it always makes you look bad. I guess that is the difference between customer service, and being a salesman.

~ Draken

EDIT: Neither Seagate nor WD have any form of 'news release' on their websites. So if this is 'true' (which I doubt) it has yet to be released.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                              I would bet that the picture on the CRT is just as good, if not better, than that of the LCD when you consider all aspects of picture. This includes viewing angles, contrast (btw I bet the 50k:1 thing is mostly hype under specific circumstances), color reproduction, picture quality in various ambient brightness levels, black levels, motion reproduction etc.

It is just like comparing Film vs Digital recordings. Film is just better. Digital will always be a pale comparison to Film.

Good analog will FOR A LONG TIME be better in quality than good digital. Digital is just easier to manipulate/distribute.
                              Actually, the 50:1 contrast isn't hype. That TV is right next the the other two 52" LCD HDTVs my dad is looking at for the living room. I can see the color contrast difference:

Samsung #1 (~$1,500): 20,000:1 (compared to the #3, skin tones kind of look whitish/bland)
                              Samsung #2 (~$1,800): 30,000:1
                              Samsung #3 (~$2,500): 50,000:1 (very rich colors, nice blacks, skin tone is very nice)

And to think my 19" LCD monitor (also Samsung) is only at 2000:1 contrast ratio. Kinda pathetic when you compare it to these nice LCD HDTVs.

The plasmas down the row also have good color reproduction, but I hate the glossy screens.

Originally posted by DrakenViator
                              EDIT: Neither Seagate nor WD have any form of 'news release' on their websites. So if this is 'true' (which I doubt) it has yet to be released.
                              Well if more than one of you can't find any truth to what came from the BB rep's mouth, then it must be false (or so my logic would tell me).

Ironically, I feel the BB reps from before the whole "Geek Squad" thing were at least knowledgeable and didn't feel like total idiots/brainless/rude.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X