I've become an Android

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've become an Android

All of my vying and caterwaulting (not really) finally resulted in my heart's desire being acquired, finally!

Some of you might remember when I got my Acer Aspire One, and the picture of me setting it on my (ex) D630 laptop and my BlackBerry Pearl 8130 on top of it. Lots of blue! Well I've broken the trend, and acquired for myself my brand new "bronze" G1

Installed apps so far include:

Impatient for the OTA update to push out, I did a manual install from RC30 to RC33. Went without a hitch.

TuneWiki
    Accuweather
    Fbook (Facebook)
    ixMat (barcode scanner) and ScanLife
    Google Latitude active
    Musical (metronome, tone, virtual keyboard)
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Orienteer (compass)
    Picasa
    Power Manager (automatic power profiles for various states of charging and battery life)
    WiFiScan
    Tetherbot (for computer tethering, work in progress)

-and more to come :D I'm still trying to find a/the Terminal Services/RDP app...

I'm really enoying this phone, so far. Of course it has a couple shortcomings compared even to my BB Pearl (no flash on camera, Telenav app costs money for Tmobile vs. being included with Sprint, have to use the retarded dongle for the 3.5mm jack versus being standard on the Pearl) but it makes up for those things in the fact that it's extremely rare that I use the camera at all, it has WiFi, the FULL keyboard, and so many other things.

In addition to that, I finally got the official Sprint OS 4.5 update pushed to my BB, after having installed the stock OS 4.5 update and messing up a few things. So it's restored, but my contacts were lost. That isn't a big deal because I sync them with Google Sync to my GMail, and so they're already sync'ed up to my G1. However, I got a LOT of "hourglass of death" opening and switching apps, sometimes so slow that it would ring once and miss an incoming call, and in general really slowed down the phone. So I downgraded back to 4.3 which works fine.

Not a problem for the G1 though. No, not with a dual-core processor and dedicated 3D acceleration hardware. This phone runs like a cat with it's tail on fire. I convinced my best friend to move from his crappy MetroPCS phone and it's crappy service, back to ATT and an iPhone and he's absolutely fallen in love with the phone thanking me up and down. I played with the phone a lot considering it instead of the G1, but I was long since convinced that the iPhone wasn't for me.

I liked my Pearl a lot and many times thought about getting a Storm, or at lease a Curve, but with all the research I've done I felt the G1 would better serve my purposes. I'm still a BB fan, but I've moved on! Hearts. Lots of hearts for my new gadget phone.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Re: I've become an Android

Nice congrats on the upgrade. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Cool! I've been thinking about the Android, but have been waiting to hear a first hand account of it. I also want to see it working in person. All the stupid T-Mobile stores I've seen don't have a working model, though! I've only seen the worthless dummy phones. If they want to sell more Androids, they're going to really need to let people play with them first.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        Cool! I've been thinking about the Android, but have been waiting to hear a first hand account of it. I also want to see it working in person. All the stupid T-Mobile stores I've seen don't have a working model, though! I've only seen the worthless dummy phones. If they want to sell more Androids, they're going to really need to let people play with them first.

this is true. i didnt see working display models, but there are multiple iphones running at any given wireless store.

the best advice i can give short of seeking out a friend who knows someone that has one, is doing the appropriate research with reviews full of pros and cons, and finding youtube videos of the phone in action.

it has had a couple of nagging issues like backlight brightness on the kb that isnt bright enough (im sure a mod can change that) and the phone itself isnt the most stellar quality at least compared to, say, an iphone, but for now its acceptable [to me] until more android phones hit the market.

yes, i posted this from my g1 while sitting in the livingroom while dad and i idly watch a western :)
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
          I liked my Pearl a lot and many times thought about getting a Storm, or at lease a Curve, but with all the research I've done I felt the G1 would better serve my purposes. I'm still a BB fan, but I've moved on! Hearts. Lots of hearts for my new gadget phone.
          Oh man, I just got myself a storm, I'm really liking it. It's got facebook preinstalled. I haven't had a cell phone in about six years and I didn't even have texting on that phone. Now I'm addicted to twitter, facebook, the camera phone, the video camera, everything!!!
          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X