X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "new" Nvidia 240 and 250

Posting this as kind of a warning/news piece:

Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 is an overclocked 9800GT

So they are taking the 9800 models and putting a new sticker on them.

As mentioned earlier this month, Nvidia is going to rename its GeForce 9800GTX+ to GeForce GTS 250 while its GeForce 9800GT (or should we say 8800GT) will be renamed to GeForce GTS 240.
    They go on to say that it is an overclocked version, but I see them probably charging more, than they would for a 9800 that you could overclock yourself and pay less for. :icon23:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The "new" Nvidia 240 and 250

Not only did ATi take the performance crown from nvidia, but now nvidia is engaging in more scheisty behavior.

Bad, bad nvidia! I've owned an equal number of ATi and nvidia cards, but it looks like I'll be sticking with ATi for a while longer.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

LOL, from the 8800 GT to the 9800 GT, then to the 240 GTS. They really know how to stretch a technology.
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

I'm glad my 8800GT now is known in so many different names. ;)

At least I know it's not going to show its age for a very long time to come. :p
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

this is why nvidia is stupid.... the 8800gt is a 9800gt is a underclocked 240 /sigh
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

As stupid as it seems, I can sorta see where they're going with this. They want to move over to their new naming scheme, and the 8800GT is still a viable card to buy, so they want to move it over to their current naming scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Anospa View Post
              As stupid as it seems, I can sorta see where they're going with this. They want to move over to their new naming scheme, and the 8800GT is still a viable card to buy, so they want to move it over to their current naming scheme.
              Bingo. I despise some of nVidia's tricks and attempts to dupe customers, but an 8800GT is still a solid buy, at least now people can see where it fits in the line up. Well until they bring out the GTS 240+ :row__593:

Comment

So does this mean nVidia won't be coming out with a new super-duper card this year?

(Kinda wish we were still in the 7800 era so we could look forward to the 8800s. ;))
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Their super new DirectX 11 card is supposed to be out in late summer. Like Q3

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    Their super new DirectX 11 card is supposed to be out in late summer. Like Q3
                    Directx 11 whats that ?
                    my computer is still xp and dx 9 compatible
                    looks I may skip a whole dx generation when I get a new pc ;)

Comment

We don't even have enough games taking advantage of DirectX 10 and there is DirectX 11 compatible card coming out??

Sheesh. Oh and isn't the Nvidia 240 another reskinned 8800GT that has been overclocked? At least it is what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                        We don't even have enough games taking advantage of DirectX 10 and there is DirectX 11 compatible card coming out??

Sheesh. Oh and isn't the Nvidia 240 another reskinned 8800GT that has been overclocked? At least it is what I heard.
                        I agree with the whole push towards DX11 (as stated by reaper). We seriously only have a few games that even begin to showcase what is possible in DX10.

As for the 240, I thought we already agreed above that it is a overclocked rebadged 8800GT?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually, I have read that some devs are looking to skip DX10 as well, and just go to 11 that is going to be part of win7, but DX11 can also be put on Vista, unlike DX10 not being able to go on XP.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

We don't see any DX10 games because nVidia sabatoged it, ATI pushed for it (well 10.1) and nVidia basically said it was no big deal = no developers touching it.

Now I'm sure nVidia will tell the world how great it is and have the first DX11 cards on the market. In reality I bet DX11 won't be much different the DX10.1.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X