GigaPan Epic Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GigaPan Epic Review

I first saw news of this a while back, and then it made big news when someone used it to take an amazing pic of the Obamba inaguration (1,474 Megapixel Inauguration Panorama is a Treasure Trove of Candid Captures), but Gizmodo finally got their hands on one and here is the review:

GigaPan Epic Review (Verdict: A Cruel Yet Fantastic Tease)

Not bad for a few hundred bucks and using your own camera.

Their site actually has tons of other cool pics taken with it, and you can take a "snapshot" of things you find in other people's pics that are cool.

Example:
    http://share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=6130
    Look at that pic, and you will see a tiny little airplane taking off way in the background. Now zoom in and it will blow your mind how close you can get and actually see the landing gear.

Some other cool ones:

http://share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=17361 --check out the car on the bridge

http://share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=5322 -- check out the people on the beach

A guy in the comments says there is a DSLR version on the way too.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: GigaPan Epic Review

Oooh, nice. I can take better panoramic shots with one of these stands. :) $100 isn't too bad.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually, it is a "few hundred" like about $350 I think.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        Actually, it is a "few hundred" like about $350 I think.
        Oh whoops, thought I had read "only a hundred". Well, that won't go on my "want list".

But it still might be pretty nice if it can hold down some of the higher-end cameras like DSLRs.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For a pretty good update to this old thread:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/g...rama-of-dubai/

When you click though to the source link and play with the picture, it really does blow your mind how far you can zoom in.
          I played with it the other day when gizmodo posted about it, but now that Engadget posted expect the site to load very slowly.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

ugh, finding that link was a pain. Wired linked it to, so expect it to be even slower:

Mod Edit: I posted to the Engadget article because they deserve the traffic for posting the news about it.
            It says "You'll find the zoom-in-practically-forever image at our source link"
            Come on man, it is pretty easy to click on "source: Dubai 45 gigapixels (Gigapan)"
            Last edited by Bamboo; 05-10-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

So that people don't have to hit engadget (which is simply aggregating stories similar to what is done in our forums), here's the direct link: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/48492/
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

lol bamboo, your fighting the wind. Whether they "deserve" (they didn't break the story, Canon did) the ad revenue is debatable, also debatable is modding my link out.

I click through on a LOT of those PITA rss feeds only to get dead links and don't run adblock, so I pay my dues around here.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X