Help with drives, 6 drives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with drives, 6 drives?

Ive got 3 40 gig hdds. I got one with the computer, found one on newegg for 5 bucks. And just the other day my dad gave me another hdd...

What im trying to ask is how to get 3 hardrives to work on my computer... A friend said it was im possible and that only 4 devices were allows to work on one computer... I know hes wronge cuz ive got 5 now, 2 hdds; 1 cd-rom; 1 cd-rw; and a floppy drive... So how would i go about adding this hardrive, and is there anything i should be worried about?

Ive got:
    Dell Deminsion 8250
    Windows XP Sp1
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1
    Blaster Live 24-Bit Sound card
    1 52X CD-Rom
    1 48X Cd-RW
    1 3.5 Floppy Drive
    2 Maxtor 40 gig 7200rpm
    1 Un-installed Maxtor 440 gig 7200rpm
    550 watt power supply
    2 60mm fans
    512 Ram (Pc 1066)
    G-force FX 5500 oc

Ive got 4 PCI slots 2 used(Sound Card; Ethernet), 2 AGP Slots, 1 used(G-forcce 5500)

Tnx for your guys support.
    Oyee

Re: Help with drives, 6 drives?

Your friend meant 4 IDE devices, which would be CD-ROM's and HDD's. Unless you get an add-on IDE controller (fits in a PCI slot), you'll be limited to four devices.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
      Your friend meant 4 IDE devices, which would be CD-ROM's and HDD's. Unless you get an add-on IDE controller (fits in a PCI slot), you'll be limited to four devices.
      Yep, depending on which you want more, you could ditch the plain ol' CD-ROM drive and put your new HDD in there... Or add another EIDE controller as Sarc mentioned...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hey Great idea!!!!!!! Saves me money, never used that damn, err, darn cd-rom.
        Oyee

Comment

you need to set one drive to master and the other to slave... there is a jumper on the back of all ide drives to set this.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

meh ill just wait
            Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
              Umm, my question was on adding a 6th drive... not raid... SPAMERS!!! DIE!!!

J/k New question, in lamens terms whats raid, and how does it work... Remember im lil more advanced than a novice user, but not intermediate...

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

This will help explain raid to you..............

The Muffin Man

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                Perhaps you cannot understand that other people just don't feel the same confidence in hardware. I never personally said I will not run RAID 0 because of the risks. I only said that some do not feel comfortable taking that risk. The fact is that RAID 0 introduces a second hard-drive that can succumb to failure, which will wipe all your data instead of half with no chance for recovery.

There's always a chance for recovery. If the data that is lost is important enough you wouldn't mind paying for it from a data recovery service. There are quite a few that even specialize in raid recovery.

Again, my point here is to be proactive and monitor your hard drives and not just wait for them to quit. Why do people run antivirus software? Why do people run firewalls? To protect their data on their hard disks. Why not run a hard drive monitor once in a while to perform the same function to determine the health status of the very vehicle your data is sitting on?

Sorry Viper...........didn't mean to hijack your question. I will quit now..............

The Muffin Man

Comment

A simple, cheap solution may be to use a USB 2.0 External Drive enclosure. Makes all your data portable, which is a good thing... Here's a link to one, i'm sure you can find more. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...146-307&DEPA=9
                  birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

wow there was some great stuff in here what happened to it?

Comment

It went to the Whats Raid? Thread, someone split it off, since i asked a second question... I didnt want to make another thread thinking it wasnt needed, but i guess a mod/admin did...
                      Oyee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X