X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbook Craze!

Samsung NC20 - 12.1" "Netbook"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtTw7kLIDZQ[/media]

That video gives you a good impression of the "expensive" 12.1" netbook coming from Samsung. It does have the 1280 x 800 widescreen resolution many of us crave for a netbook, the larger keyboard, but still only one trackpad mouse button (a shame).

Several industry blogs and websites have speculated the potential cost for one released on the U.S. market to be around $500-$650 (Gizmodo Source). This of course now blurs the line between "netbook" and "notebook" while carrying many of the portability, size, weight, and battery life features found in a UMPC/Ultraportable Notebook.

Unfortunately, no good idea as to when this will hit the U.S. market, only that it is available in Korea and possibly for Europe.

Again, this gets my heart racing as the only feature netbooks lack is a dual-core CPU (like the Atom 330). That coupled with a full laptop-sized keyboard, a 10"+ screen with 1280 x 800 resolution, upgradeable RAM (to 2 GBs), and Vista/Windows 7, and a $500 price tag, and I will snatch one up even if I have to sell an arm and a leg (sarcasm).

Too bad, it'll probably be over $500 and won't be available for a while or else I might hold of on selling my AAO for the 1000HE (which I'm still waiting for a shipment date).

Dell Mini 10 - 10.1" Netbook with Optional 720p resolution display

Dell Mini 10 Selling for $400 on Feb. 26 - Gizmodo

Well, it's not surprising, but the promised 720p-capable display (3G, Bluetooth, TV tuner, GPS) is on the "planned features" list and is not available at this time. Unless you seriously like the Dell Minis more than other netbook brands, you won't be jumping the gun for this netbook. Seeing how the new features promised haven't been even delivered, this thing doesn't fair too well at $400 with so much competition.
    Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Netbook Craze!

Man, that Samsung looks sleek. Everyday I kick myself for buying my AAO110. I mean I love it and all, but netbooks just keep getting better and better.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Whenever that NC20 hits the US market, we should see ultraportable laptops, like Lenovo's U110 series become more competitively priced.

The NC20 has the screen size, the light weight, the longer battery life, and the lower price to convince buyers to go for it instead of the UPLPs like the U110 when they don't do much more than basic multitasking and light computing.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'd like to see some benches on that CPU in comparison to an Atom. That's the only real downside I see to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
          I'd like to see some benches on that CPU in comparison to an Atom. That's the only real downside I see to it.
          Which CPU?
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

That Via 1.3Ghz the NC20 comes with...... I thought's what the guy said in the video. Could have mistook it because of the German accent.

Comment

That Via 1.3Ghz the NC20 comes with...... I thought's what the guy said in the video. Could have mistook it because of the German accent.
              The VIA 1.0 GHz chip in the HP's make the system overall a bit sluggish when compared to a Atom-equipped HP netbook.

My guess is the 1.3 chip would close the performance gap between the 1.0 chip and the N270.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So I hate to grave dig an old thread here, but does anyone think that this is worth an upgrade? Is there anything else on the horizon that offers more ram at this screen size and res?

I'm really thinking about hocking my AA0110 for one of these. Any ideas on the graphics chip inside it? I imagine it'd be enough to run Fallout and some other lite 10 year old games on.

Comment

So I hate to grave dig an old thread here, but does anyone think that this is worth an upgrade? Is there anything else on the horizon that offers more ram at this screen size and res?

I'm really thinking about hocking my AA0110 for one of these. Any ideas on the graphics chip inside it? I imagine it'd be enough to run Fallout and some other lite 10 year old games on.
                  If you want to play games buy a Notebook, not a Netbook

~ Draken

Comment

I imagine it'd have no problem running fallout(not fallout 3) and some other 10 year old games.

Seems this model has the new VIA nano cpu. If you do get it, I'd be interested in hearing a review.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I'm pretty on the fence. If there's something better on the horizon I'll hold off, but this looks like a sweet buy granted I could find it in stock. I'd still have to find some one to buy my AAO.

I love my AAO but the 8 Gb HD is so limiting. Not to mention this has a bigger screen with more res and built in blue tooth.

Downside is the weight. Almost 3.5 lbs.

Comment

You should go for the regular HDD versions instead Spyder228 (either the 120 GB or the 160 GB ones).

Yes, all the 8.9" and 10" netbooks will play older games like Starcraft, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, C&C, Fallout Series just fine.

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have a keyboard preference (like size, key spacing, etc)? What about screen size? Battery life?

Right now the ASUS 1000HE has the best features-to-price ratio. The MSI Wind and Acer Aspire One D150 comes in a close second. There are a few models still to be released, like the Samsung NC20 and the ASUS 1004DN (will have a optical drive), both of which could easily be $600 starting.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          You should go for the regular HDD versions instead Spyder228 (either the 120 GB or the 160 GB ones).

Yes, all the 8.9" and 10" netbooks will play older games like Starcraft, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, C&C, Fallout Series just fine.

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have a keyboard preference (like size, key spacing, etc)? What about screen size? Battery life?

Right now the ASUS 1000HE has the best features-to-price ratio. The MSI Wind and Acer Aspire One D150 comes in a close second. There are a few models still to be released, like the Samsung NC20 and the ASUS 1004DN (will have a optical drive), both of which could easily be $600 starting.

I love the keyboard on my AAO110. It's an almost full keyboard which I like. The new AAO kinda looks like a toy. Not like the NC20. That thing is just sexy.

I could probably get like $250 for my AAO so I wouldn't mind putting another $200 or so in for an upgrade. So total that's $450. I know that's a little below the $550 the NC20 is going for, but I guess I could wait. Unless there's something else out there that has all the same features (screen size!) for about $450.

Comment

The only other 12" netbook out there is the Dell Mini12 priced at around $600. Last time I went through the configurator, you only had the option of Linux or no OS pre-installed. They might have added Vista to the mix now, but you'd have to check it out yourself.

Though, the Mini 12 uses the Z530 instead of the N270, so you'll see some sluggishness from the system since the Z series is meant for mobile devices like cell phones, PDAs, etc and not built for more demanding applications like netbooks.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I own a mini 12.

It offers XP, Linux, or vista AFAIK. My configuration has XP.

My next netbook will be a dell again. I'm extremely impressed with mine. The bluetooth works flawlessly with my Blackberry Pearl...
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X