router troubles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• router troubles.

H'Okay, so i'm trying to add a wireless network to a my already wired network for my father's labtop. so i've gotten all the required hardware and this is how its setup at the moment.

Internet - modem - gateway router - ethernet hub - computer
    - computer
    - computer
    one of the computers is mine, but now before the cat5 cable gets to my computer it goes to the wireless router, and then to my computer.
    I understand that the setup is rather strange, so i'm not looking for how i should do it. i'm looking for how i can make this work.

i understand that i have to turn off something called dchp or something. i forget its name. i've tried this, and it still didnt work, so is there anything else i need to do?
    thanks
    jack

Re: router troubles.

Did you try reading through the instruction manual, or using the setup wizard?

Comment

Originally posted by jackel
      H'Okay, so i'm trying to add a wireless network to a my already wired network for my father's labtop. so i've gotten all the required hardware and this is how its setup at the moment.

- computer
      - computer
      one of the computers is mine, but now before the cat5 cable gets to my computer it goes to the wireless router, and then to my computer.
      I understand that the setup is rather strange, so i'm not looking for how i should do it. i'm looking for how i can make this work.

i understand that i have to turn off something called dchp or something. i forget its name. i've tried this, and it still didnt work, so is there anything else i need to do?
      thanks
      jack

Replace what you call your "Gateway Router" with your wireless router. It is a replacement, not a suppliment.

Having both in your network will cause nothing but problems (is it possible to set it up where you can have both, yes, but do you want to do so? No.).

Remove your current router and use the wireless, and it should just..... work.
      (BTW, this assumes the wireless router is at default settings. So if you've already messed with the settings, reset it to factory defaults before you replace your normal gateway router with it.)

Comment

Originally posted by ImJustMito
        Replace what you call your "Gateway Router" with your wireless router. It is a replacement, not a suppliment.

Having both in your network will cause nothing but problems (is it possible to set it up where you can have both, yes, but do you want to do so? No.).

Remove your current router and use the wireless, and it should just..... work.
        (BTW, this assumes the wireless router is at default settings. So if you've already messed with the settings, reset it to factory defaults before you replace your normal gateway router with it.)
        Don't some wireless routers come without a wired switch/hub? That would make it difficult to do what you suggest. I'm not familiar with wireless gear, however...

- computer
        - computer
        Does your router not have a switch built in? I'd ditch the hub and get a cheap switch, it'll perform much better. If your wireless router has wired ports, then I'd definitely do what Mito suggested, as the router probably has a switch built in and not just a hub.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

it does have wired ports, and i think that is what i am going to have to do. I wanted to do it this way because my cable modem is on the second floor and i wanted the wireless in the basement.

Comment

it does have wired ports, and i think that is what i am going to have to do. I wanted to do it this way because my cable modem is on the second floor and i wanted the wireless in the basement.
            You should still be able to do it the way you want, then... I'm no networking guru, but if you've only got one computer connected to the wireless LAN, and that wireless router is connected to your internal network, I believe that enabling something called DMZ will forward everything from the router to that one PC that is connected via wireless, effectively making the wireless router invisible on the network.

As for wireless security, you'll have to ask someone else... I'm clueless on that...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              I'm no networking guru,
              Well, I kinda am, it's my job...

I suggested replacing your gateway router with the wireless router based on the fact that you call it a "Wireless Router". That means it is in fact a cable modem router, as well as switch, as well as a wireless access point. If this is a naming mistake on your part, then please, say so now, so we can bypass all of this mess.

Anyways, I too would definately ditch the hub and only use the built-in switch on the router (if there are enough ports to allow for such a thing). If not, no biggy, because on a home network you probably wont be doing enough networking to take advantage of the difference between a hub and a switch.

You said you were wanting the wireless based in the basement... I'm not sure why, but that COULD make sense depending on your reasoning. Most antennas that come with routers have a flat range, so if you're going to be using it in the basement, then there you go. And, it's still possible, even though you do NOT want to simply do what Cing suggested and just put it on a DMZ. What you will want to do is simply turn off the "Router" portion and turn it into nothing more than an "Access Point". Most wireless routers allow this, but each one sets it up differently. Basically though, you want to tell it that your internet connection doesn't exist. If you tell us what router it is, I can help you find exactly how to set that up.

Comment

Well, it says its a 'Wireless firewall router'.. i'm just saying what the box says.
                its made by netgear. I guess for the time being to get the wireless network up i will replace it. but if you could help me with making it into an access point, that would be awesome.

Comment

Well, it says its a 'Wireless firewall router'.. i'm just saying what the box says.
                  its made by netgear. I guess for the time being to get the wireless network up i will replace it. but if you could help me with making it into an access point, that would be awesome.
                  Heh.... The box doesn't have a model number?
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by ImJustMito
                    though you do NOT want to simply do what Cing suggested and just put it on a DMZ. What you will want to do is simply turn off the "Router" portion and turn it into nothing more than an "Access Point". Most wireless routers allow this, but each one sets it up differently. Basically though, you want to tell it that your internet connection doesn't exist. If you tell us what router it is, I can help you find exactly how to set that up.
                    I didn't know that it most likely had an option for turning it into just an access point, but why wouldn't my suggestion work?
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

http://netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php
                      that one.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                        I didn't know that it most likely had an option for turning it into just an access point, but why wouldn't my suggestion work?
                        Because it would still be a NAT inside of a NAT.... which is never good. Sometimes it will work, but even if it does, it would be entirely seperate from his main internal network, which means all file sharing and printer sharing etc wouldn't work.

That and hosting a game behind it would be almost impossible, and you probably would have a hard time even joining a game.

And as for how to make it just an Access Point and not a router, Netgear told you how to do it for me :)

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

Comment

ok, well i gave it a try the first time and it didnt work.
                          so i reread that page and pressed the restore factory settings button and started over.
                          To Configure the Wireless Router

Do not connect the wireless router to your network yet, as it may have the same IP address as your other router.

Connect to the wireless router, turn off its DHCP server, and give the wireless router an assigned IP address on your LAN:

Connect a PC directly to the wireless router.
                          Reboot the PC.
                          Log in to the wireless router (usually at 192.168.0.1, with User Name = admin and Password = password).
                          Go to the LAN IP menu and disable DHCP by unchecking Use router as DHCP server.
                          Select LAN IP, and change the IP address to 192.168.0.99.
                          Click Apply to save the settings. (You lose the connection to the router since its IP address changed.)
                          Connect one of the wireless router's Local (LAN) ports to your existing network.
                          i connected directly to the router. i pluged in the power and but a cat5 cable in slot one to my computer.
                          rebooted machine.
                          opened up ie and typed 192.168.0.1 to connect to it, but it never came up with that box where you can enter the username and password.
                          i've tried several other things that were also unsuccessful.
                          what did i do wrong?

Comment

Do not connect the wireless router to your network yet, as it may have the same IP address as your other router.

Connect to the wireless router, turn off its DHCP server, and give the wireless router an assigned IP address on your LAN:

Connect a PC directly to the wireless router.
                            Reboot the PC.
                            Log in to the wireless router (usually at 192.168.0.1, with User Name = admin and Password = password).

it sounds as though your computer does not have an IP in the subnet of the router. you need to make sure your computer has a 192.168.0.x ip address so that it can get to the router. also, after verifying this, try pinging the router. it might have a different ip, and if it was not reset to factory correctly, it will still have whatever custom setup was put in it. once you make sure your computer and the router have the 192.168.0.x ip's.... you should be able to get to the router.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Ah, yea your right i see it.
                              when i plug the the comptuer directly to the router the IP changes to something crazy.
                              but i've forgot how to change the IP, so i think if could direct me how to do that again i could fix this once and for all.
                              thanks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X