facebook.com
    apple.com
    youtube.com
    imdb.com
    thepiratebay.org
    dell.com
    netflix.com
    nytimes.com
    gizmodo.com (In case you're wondering why you have problems in IE at Giz)
    kotaku.com
    sony.com

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Internet Explorer 8's Incompatability List Is Really Sad

Hm, looks like there's more work to be done...
    "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
    -- Red Forman

Comment

What have we learned about not releasing unfinished products?

Comment

I wish IE updates were about increasing performance, adding simple features, and fixing differences to the web standards, instead of dreaming up new ways to break the web.

In Outlook '07 they changed the HTML engine to the one within MS Office Word (If you can even call that HTML). They are killing us web devs. It's time for MS to get with the picture, or get out.

Comment

Is anyone seriously wondering about this? Frankly said, I think it's time for Microsoft to either finally produce a good browser or just let it be and ask the Mozilla Foundation or the Opera guys to let them include their respective software...though, especially looking at the recent developments around Windows 7, I'm not too sure if M$ would ever be that smart...

Comment

Besides being a MS bash session. Can you state the issues with Windows 7?

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

That's the problem when web developers tailor their websites only for the non-standards compliant IE7/6/5 browsers.

Until IE8 actually releases, websites will continue to have separate stylesheets and such for IE. Give it some time. I'm sure these sites will soon recognize IE8 and conform to standards.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Photometric View Post
                Besides being a MS bash session. Can you state the issues with Windows 7?
                You mean, besides it being not much more than Vista SP3 (with almost all of it flaws)? How's about Windows 7 allowing DRM developers (and other ones as well of course) to bypass your firewall and taking away control from the user? There are a LOT of good reason why most people who are either tech-savvy, concerned about their privacy, or both resent Windows...

Comment

and I respond with this
                  Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                    and I respond with this
                    ...which is just a nonsensical rant which does not offer any real counterarguments. But well, I guess I never will be able to understand all you M$ fanboys...apart from being n00b- and gaming-friendly (as companies seem to fail to understand that doing so could actually greatly benefit them to port their game to other OSs), what are Windows' real advantages? I work with both XP and various Linux distros and I also had to work with Vista for some time, but I fail to see anything apart from gaming which Windows handles better than Linux and I also can't see anything Vista can handle better than XP. Even "Vista-only"-Halo 2 actually runs better when properly patched and ran under XP instead of Vista.

Comment

For one, I like the fact that pretty much any computer I use, if it's at work, visiting parents, helping in forums, at the library, at friends house, or where ever else, it is the same. I have played around with different distros of Linux, and you can repeat to everyone till your blue in the face that this program or that program can run on Linux, but actually getting it to do so usually requires a lot of work. That means that at least 95% of people out there aren't going to have a clue what to do.

Look at the fact that places like Best Buy charge money (and a lot of people actually pay it) just to install programs like an anti-virus. If they can't figure that out, no way they are going to figure out Linux.

So please stop complaining about how horrible Windows is till Linux is to the point that at least 75% of people out there could use it everyday with no problems. At that point, feel free to come back and preach it's heavenly goodness.

And don't get me wrong. I am looking forward to that day if it ever comes. I like competition, but Linux is not ready to be full public competition yet.

I have actually read a few articles recently that were making the case for MS to let it's OS go open source. That is a very interesting idea (though very far fetched).

Just as a quick example of what I say above, about people not having a clue about computers as it is now, I give you this just posted article:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5157680/why-doe...microsoft-bsod

The funny thing is I see that commercial all the time, and it pisses me off every time. My wife has actually been watching TV with me when it came on and not 3 sec. in yelled "YES, I KNOW HOW STUPID THIS COMMERCIAL IS AND HOW THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF, SO DON'T TELL ME AGAIN!!!!!" I'm not kidding. It's a good thing I love my TV, or I probably would have thrown something at it during one of those commercials by now.

If people are so stupid as to fall for that crap, there is no way they are going to be using Linux any time soon. I'm just as sad about that as your are, but it's the way it is.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Lol Internet Explorer.

Oh and major lol at the fact that microsoft.com is not compatible. Fail.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                        The BigC

Comment

I still think the title should read: "Websites that are not standards compliant".
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            I still think the title should read: "Websites that are not standards compliant".
                            What happened all out of sudden that sets IE as the standard? Almost all of these websites actually are standard compliant (or at least to some degree). Internet Explorer has always been the bane of every web dev because of it's atrociously low compatibility to established standards (and even more, new technologies).

Comment

Originally posted by Nathrael View Post
                              What happened all out of sudden that sets IE as the standard? Almost all of these websites actually are standard compliant (or at least to some degree). Internet Explorer has always been the bane of every web dev because of it's atrociously low compatibility to established standards (and even more, new technologies).
                              Let me rephrase that:

These sites needs to get rid of their specific IE stylesheets and such. The problem with IE was it was non-standards compliant for such a long time. This forced a lot of web devs to develop hacks and IE-specific stylesheets so their websites would work functionally in IE. Some took this a bit further and decided to leave out standards completely and force users to use a IE browser while viewing their websites (hate these devs).

So the fix for these sites so that they work in IE8 RC1 and so on is to get rid of the various hacks and such they have in place for the benefit of those using older IE browsers.

There's a whole lengthy discussion before IE8 was announce over whether to leave out IE altogether when developing a website for the simple fact that it wasn't standards compliant. Some said it should be included in testing, others said they would leave it out, and then came the issue of basic usability of a website in IE if one didn't tailor a stylesheet to IE, etc.

Speaking for myself, I don't make a website so it works perfectly in IE. I make it work in a standards compliant browser and then go back and make sure it's usable in IE but not making sure the design looks right in IE.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X