X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 32 Totally Essential (and Free) Apps for Every New PC

Really good article just posted:

The 32 Totally Essential (and Free) Apps for Every New PC

I spotted a lot of new apps I had never heard of, and may check out..........
    I don't know why they listed them as for new computers, and they are good for everyone.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: The 32 Totally Essential (and Free) Apps for Every New PC

Oooh, I like that graphic of a desktop case front. :)

Hmm, I've never heard of WinDirStat. It sounds just like TreeSize Free that I use now on my desktop.

ISO Burn...56k...
    Holy crap! And here I thought ImgBurn was lightweight.

Synergy sounds like the perfect tool to allow me to control the Linux server connected to my network. :)

Thanks for posting this Bam. You're the best RSS feed ever.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My commentary on some items:

I found a suitable, simpler, just as configurable, lighter solution to VmWare Desktop/Server called Sun xVM VirtualBox. Which has better USB passthrough, and 3D acceleration as well as a VMware Tools-like installable utility for acceleration, and supports hardware accel via processor the same as VMware.

I recently started using DropBox. Hella useful.

FoxIt has been on my PC for years... :)

Been using Media Player Classic with x-number of codecs, again for a couple years now :)

Filezilla is an FTP client we actually push all of our clients to use, and they do very well with it.

I DONT agree with Digsby, no matter if you can "Decline" the toolbars and crap, or not. It's shady shady shady, and there's better plugins out for Pidgin. I used Carrier for a while, the branch-off from Pidgin, but found that it takes them too long to keep it up to date and falls a couple minor revisions behind Pidgin regularly.

foobar200 I played with once upon a time, but I guess for as much of an audiophile as I am (or am not), I tend to have a "take it or leave it" attitude toward "correct tags" and album artwork and such. Especially when iTunes does a fine job of fixing those files and downloading artwork. I've since started using SONGBIRD, now that's it's in version 1.0
      Personally, I think they should have suggested Songbird. It does so much more than iTunes, and then some.

I cannot live without Picasa.

Audacity is regularly used for any and all sound production and development.

I don't use Photoshop or GIMP. I use PAINT.NET
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Oooh, I like that graphic of a desktop case front. :)

Hmm, I've never heard of WinDirStat. It sounds just like TreeSize Free that I use now on my desktop.

Thanks for posting this Bam. You're the best RSS feed ever.

It is about the same as WinDirStat. I actually use SequoiaView, and it is pretty much the same too. I think I remember hearing that WDS is like the original and a lot of other stuff coppied or are based off of. But not completly sure about that.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Now that I've actually managed to read through the list without skimming it (was in between classes before), I have my own comments.

Most of the programs mentioned I've used or heard about in the past.

I personally hate using GIMP. I feel Photoshop's layout of tools is better and some things (like the preview, red rectangle thingy in the upper right) I've gotten so used to that not having it in GIMP hinders me. I haven't used Paint.NET so I can't comment.

Picasa I have installed, but I don't even use it. I really never felt the need for a photo organizer/gallery/online gallery as the photos I take I usually throw them into labeled folders and then burn them onto a CD or store them on my backup hard drive.

Filezilla is the only FTP client that I like using and is the only one I've stuck with throughout the years.

I've bookmarked/downloaded the following to try:

WinDirStat
          IsoBurn
          Synergy
          Recuva

Recuva might actually be a program that will make it to my PC Kit USB drive that I carry around since it is a GUI file recovery program. Probably beats PhotoRec when it comes to ease of use. Although it's hard to compare when PhotoRec is for images and is command line based.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Picasa is actually pretty good for making some quick and easy touchups to pics. Their auto and sharpen tool for example works really well. And for the upload to albums, it has worked well for me to share with friends when I went on a trip or something.

Check it out:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Bambooben

And paint.net is worth trying out. It is pretty good, and quick to load and do edits. Hell of a lot better than MS paint, and can do a lot of what GIMP does.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

WinDirStat has made me sad for many years, as I look longingly at the space that the winsxs folder is eating, or the size of Valve's gcf files.
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                WinDirStat has made me sad for many years, as I look longingly at the space that the winsxs folder is eating, or the size of Valve's gcf files.
                Lol. My "Steam" folder takes up an amazing 40+ GBs on my hard drive. It's the single largest folder on my hard drive.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You must not forget the amazing CCleaner, Driver Sweper and Free Window Registry Repair. They are format c: savers!!!
                  sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...