Solid-State Laptop HDD upgrade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid-State Laptop HDD upgrade?

I've got a badass Toshiba Qosmio laptop that I'm thinking about adding a solid-state drive to. My problem is this:

I now own an aircraft that likes to fly above 10k ft, meaning a mechanical HDD will fail at that altitude (hard drive platters dont like altitude). To remedy this I want to put in (or attach, if external) a solid-state drive. My question is, is there any way to keep the existing HDD in place and not BSOD at 10k feet, even though I've got an SSD?

I figure I could run WinXP or Vista on the SSD and just boot off of that when I fly, but I'm worried I'll still get errors from the HDD even though it should be "disabled." Is there a way for this to work w/o me having to remove the HDD altogether? Also, the internets say Vista is better equipped to handle SSDs. This true? Or is this not really important in my application.

I guess ideally I'd have a 64+GB external SSD with XP installed (along with my flight software) I could plug into any laptop onboard. This way if a passenger has a laptop they use they can also plug in the SSD at altitude and boot from it, assuming they've saved their working files on it prior or have their own flash drive.

What I dont fully understand is how to implement this with the original HDDs in place w/o the system crashing anyways. Basically, I want the best of both worlds. Perhaps there's a "profile" I can engage in BIOS that will autoboot from the SSD and shut the HDD down? I know I can boot from the SSD at the Setup but that still leaves the HDD active, and prone to causing errors yes?

Color me confused...

Re: Solid-State Laptop HDD upgrade?

First off you'll need to find out if your lappy's mobo will support two HDDs (or SATA storage devices).

Secondly, I don't think your lappy's mobo has a second internal connector (or even a header/port for one).

However, you could put the SSD into a enclosure and then connect it via USB to your laptop. Then when you boot up your system, you can press F12 repeatedly until the Boot Selection Menu comes up. Then just select the USB enclosed-SSD and boot directly from it.

You may also be able to go into BIOS and rearrange your boot devices order and set the USB enclosed-SSD as the first one (drive should be connected to the same port or else this will not work).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
      First off you'll need to find out if your lappy's mobo will support two HDDs (or SATA storage devices).

Secondly, I don't think your lappy's mobo has a second internal connector (or even a header/port for one).

However, you could put the SSD into a enclosure and then connect it via USB to your laptop. Then when you boot up your system, you can press F12 repeatedly until the Boot Selection Menu comes up. Then just select the USB enclosed-SSD and boot directly from it.

You may also be able to go into BIOS and rearrange your boot devices order and set the USB enclosed-SSD as the first one (drive should be connected to the same port or else this will not work).
      Yah, but will the system still crash when the regular HDD goes offline at altitude even though it booted from the SSD? Or will it just "carry on" like nothing happened even though the HDD isnt working at altitude? See what I'm asking now?

I guess for the BIOS I'd just simply set the external SSD to boot first regardless. When the system sees there's no SSD attached then it should default to the normal HDD when I'm not using it in the plane yes?

Comment

what exactly is this badass toshiba? x305 g50?

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
          what exactly is this badass toshiba? x305 g50?
          correction.. USED to be a badass toshiba
          It's a Qosmio G35. More like a desktop than a laptop really.

Comment

You may still have two hd slots. I know you can order the 305s with an ssd and a regular drive. I believe I have seen at least one review where they stated that the g35 could come with two hd's.

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
              You may still have two hd slots. I know you can order the 305s with an ssd and a regular drive. I believe I have seen at least one review where they stated that the g35 could come with two hd's.
              Mine comes with two HDDs, but they're striped in a RAID currently (which I'd like to keep). I'll probably have to go external with the SSD, which is preferred since I can loan it to others with laptops at altitude.

Comment

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/tosh...-32057247.html

In that review cnet talks about the laptop having two hds. Sorry but I couldn't find any article about replacing one of them.

edit: oh ok, sounds good then. Probably will have to go with the usb route then. Possible could think of replacing both of them with an ssd and a newer faster laptop drive. Depending on your setup a newer drive may be faster. Just something to think about.

Is it possible to run windows from a USB drive? Just seems like even with your idea of loaning it out, M$ would find a way to stop that from happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
                  Yah, but will the system still crash when the regular HDD goes offline at altitude even though it booted from the SSD? Or will it just "carry on" like nothing happened even though the HDD isnt working at altitude? See what I'm asking now?

I guess for the BIOS I'd just simply set the external SSD to boot first regardless. When the system sees there's no SSD attached then it should default to the normal HDD when I'm not using it in the plane yes?
                  To answer your BSOD worry: no it will continue just fine as long as you don't try to read/write to the mechanical hard drive (may lock up your system if the drive becomes inoperable).

You will be booting from the USB drive, so the system should not be using the mechanical one.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

To answer your BSOD worry: no it will continue just fine as long as you don't try to read/write to the mechanical hard drive (may lock up your system if the drive becomes inoperable).

You will be booting from the USB drive, so the system should not be using the mechanical one.
                    Assuming pagefile is deactivated...
                    Or does pagefile not cause BSOD if the paged HDD is unavailable?

Comment

Assuming pagefile is deactivated...
                      Or does pagefile not cause BSOD if the paged HDD is unavailable?
                      Pagefile from what I've read only acts on your "primary" hard disk (unless you specify otherwise). Since you're booting from the USB external HDD, I would assume pagefile would only use that drive and not your internal RAID config.

It wouldn't make sense if it used your RAID config anyways since it's not a secondary "blank" hard drive (meaning it has a OS installed).

The surest way would be to manually open up your laptop and disconnect the pair of HDDs. Or turn off pagefile all together. If you have 2-4 GBs of RAM, you really don't need the pagefile unless your system crashes/BSODs, you want the crash report/minidump generated and stored, and/or a program really needs to make use of the "virtual RAM". (I personally leave it limited to 256 MB just so I can read the minidump/crash report after a crash.)

--------------------------------------

Since I have no experience with hard drives and 10,000 feet altitudes, what does happen to the hard disk if it's running when you're above 10,000 feet?

And when you say "now own an aircraft that likes to fly above 10k feet", what kind of plane do you own? A Leer jet (business ones)? SR-71 Blackbird?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by jagass
                        I'm curious about the badass Toshiba man...
                        Gambit7 has a older top-of-the-line (back then) Toshiba "laptop", though it's more like a desktop replacement.

You can read more about his old laptop here: CNET's Review of the Toshiba Qosmio G35. His laptop may be a bit more high-end than the base model listed at CNET's review.

For the time, having a RAID 0 HDD configuration for your high-end laptop was all the rage and score you plenty of bragging rights and points to boot. God knows I drooled over the G35 back then too. :p
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The damned thing weighs like 20 lbs though. But yeah, a few years back it was badass. Now it's nothing. It played games better than my desktop when I got it, ran smoother, and looked prettier. Hence the reason I built a new desktop. LoL

Anyways, since the economy is shot to hell and there are deals everywhere I bought a Mooney (airplane) for cheap. Mooneys like to fly high; above 20k ft. Around 10k ft HDDS start to crash, I assume due to airpockets in the casing and/or changes in platter RPM due to thinner air (less friction); but if memory serves, HDDs are vacuum-sealed, so it's probably the former reason. So most aviation computer systems are based on solid-state drives to combat this.

As for Pagefile Acreo, my current desktop system is setup to page from my 2nd physical drive whilst I'm using the 1st, or vice versa. While I'm gaming on my raid array I page from the system drive. When I'm working in the system drive I'm paging from the raid array. If you're REALLY slick you partition the drives permanently with the pagefile sector on the innermost part of the HDD platter, that way they read/write much faster than normal. Just tricks... But as you say, it's moot if you've got 4GB of RAM unless you play a lot of games/simulations like FSX (that load stupid amounts of terrain).

So since the Qosmio only has 1 raided partition anyways I'll probably just buy more RAM and disable the pagefile. Then add the external SSD and boot from it in a choosable "flight mode" in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure there are setups that let you do this w/o having to prompt you every time you boot). OR, not buy RAM and just disable the pagefile in the OS on the SSD.

<note to self: I love abbreviations>

Comment

The damned thing weighs like 20 lbs though. But yeah, a few years back it was badass. Now it's nothing. It played games better than my desktop when I got it, ran smoother, and looked prettier. Hence the reason I built a new desktop. LoL

Anyways, since the economy is shot to hell and there are deals everywhere I bought a Mooney (airplane) for cheap. Mooneys like to fly high; above 20k ft. Around 10k ft HDDS start to crash, I assume due to airpockets in the casing and/or changes in platter RPM due to thinner air (less friction); but if memory serves, HDDs are vacuum-sealed, so it's probably the former reason. So most aviation computer systems are based on solid-state drives to combat this.

As for Pagefile Acreo, my current desktop system is setup to page from my 2nd physical drive whilst I'm using the 1st, or vice versa. While I'm gaming on my raid array I page from the system drive. When I'm working in the system drive I'm paging from the raid array. If you're REALLY slick you partition the drives permanently with the pagefile sector on the innermost part of the HDD platter, that way they read/write much faster than normal. Just tricks... But as you say, it's moot if you've got 4GB of RAM unless you play a lot of games/simulations like FSX (that load stupid amounts of terrain).

So since the Qosmio only has 1 raided partition anyways I'll probably just buy more RAM and disable the pagefile. Then add the external SSD and boot from it in a choosable "flight mode" in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure there are setups that let you do this w/o having to prompt you every time you boot). OR, not buy RAM and just disable the pagefile in the OS on the SSD.

<note to self: I love abbreviations>
                            You could always just replace both of the 80 GB HDDs with a pair of SSDs in strip RAID (aka RAID 0). Then you won't have to worry about HDDs bursting open like ripe fruit at 10k+ feet.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You could always just replace both of the 80 GB HDDs with a pair of SSDs in strip RAID (aka RAID 0). Then you won't have to worry about HDDs bursting open like ripe fruit at 10k+ feet.
                              Uhh.. there's a recession. Two 80GB SSD drives would cost me like $1000.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X