SATA ports failing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA ports failing?

For the last several months I have been having write/read errors as well as other general hard drive issues with my game rig. I have tried a full reinstall, I have replaced my hard drives, and while that fixed it for a while, it would still start to give me errors after a week or so.

One day about two months ago, in an act of desperation, I switched my SATA hard drive from port one to port three on my motherboard. Since then I have not had a single hard drive issue until today.

After a full system lock playing bf2142 I attempted to restart my system only to have it sit in the windows loading screen for about 10 minutes until I reluctantly powered it down. After giving it a minute, I powered it back up only to receive a drive read error that prevented it from posting. After several attempts to get it going, I again switch my internal SATA port, this time from three to four, and it booted without a problem.

My guess at this point is that this would indicate that my Motherboard SATA ports are failing and I should look into replacing my mobo soon. What I would like to know is if this is a good guess, or am I completely missing something.

Current system specks:
    Asus A8n-e board with a AMD 4400 X2
    3 gigs ram (2x 1 gb plus 2x 512mb)
    Seagate 750gb 7200RPM SATA
    1gb Saphire 4870
    XP pro 32bit edition

| |

My friends call me Y. My enemies call me... well, that's a secret.

"The only reason I team killed you is because I though you were already dead...
    ...Oh god, I just know that is going in someones signature" - Eroak

Re: SATA ports failing?

From the sounds of it, it looks like your mobo is to blame.

A cheaper solution would be to get a SATA add-on card or RMA'ing the mobo back to ASUS for repair/replacement. Then save the rest of your money for a rainy day.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Had a friend have this very same issue, turns out his board was on it's last legs.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Maybe the SATA cable is bad. Try replacing that if you haven't already.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          From the sounds of it, it looks like your mobo is to blame.

A cheaper solution would be to get a SATA add-on card or RMA'ing the mobo back to ASUS for repair/replacement. Then save the rest of your money for a rainy day.
          Darn that's what I thought...Oh well, I've had the board for about 4 years and was looking to upgrade it anyway. I'll look into RMA, but I think I am past the warranty for it.

I will keep the SATA card idea in mind. It would be nice to repurpose this mobo when I upgrade instead of just junking it.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

| |

Comment

Originally posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
            Darn that's what I thought...Oh well, I've had the board for about 4 years and was looking to upgrade it anyway. I'll look into RMA, but I think I am past the warranty for it.

I will keep the SATA card idea in mind. It would be nice to repurpose this mobo when I upgrade instead of just junking it.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
            Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
            Maybe the SATA cable is bad. Try replacing that if you haven't already.
            At least try Sarc's suggestion before giving in to a replacement/add-on card. It could very well be the cable, though that's never happened to me.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              At least try Sarc's suggestion before giving in to a replacement/add-on card. It could very well be the cable, though that's never happened to me.

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I already tied that. I replace the cable when I replace my hard drives. I have another one around here that I will try if it give me any problems again any time soon.

For right now, my system is working with the hard drive plugged into SATA port 4 so I will most likely leave it be until that port starts to give me problems as well. I just wanted to know for sure so that I have some time to save up some cash for my new rig it needs be.

Replacing the board is not really a big deal for me. As I said, I have been planning to upgrade anyway. Just now instead of six months, it is looking closer to 2-3 or when this board dies, which ever comes first.

Thanks again for the help

| |

Comment

Is it possible that the RAM is bad? Maybe it's writing bad data to disk and it eventually gets corrupted. Running MemTest might be a good idea just to be sure.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X