• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility Radeon 4870 X2 to take the lead in high-performance laptop gaming

Wow. Bet the battery would only last about 20-30 mins. gaming:

Mobility Radeon 4870 X2 to take the lead in high-performance laptop gaming

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Mobility Radeon 4870 X2 to take the lead in high-performance laptop gaming

I game on a laptop and I never use the battery. Plugged in is the way to go.

Comment

Same here whenever I'm gaming on a laptop, plugged in is the only way to go. I agree though, bat time would be next to nothing.

Comment

I game with the battery and only plug it in if I'm low or I know it's going to be more than 4 hours of gaming (mostly just Starcraft on my netbook).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

How do they cool it? It seems like it would light your table on fire after a few minutes of heavy use.
          sigpic

Comment

this mobile one is just as strong as the normal? does it need fans aswell? because i think it would just melt if its same card as the normal one

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
              How do they cool it? It seems like it would light your table on fire after a few minutes of heavy use.
              There's probably a shared heatsink with the CPU or it's own copper heatsink. Then 1-2 fans to blow the hot air out the back of the system.

This chipset usually goes into the 10+ pounder desktop replacement gaming notebooks that are like 2-inches thick. They could basically fit the entire desktop card (minus the bracket) into the notebook.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The thing is, most laptop graphics are built in, will this ATi Mobility 4870 X2 be one that can be added later to your laptop? If my laptop could handle the heat this card would generate and the power it would need to operate I would love to get one for my laptop. I am new to laptops and don't know much even though I just built my own barebones laptop about a week ago but of course the heat would have to be an issue. So I figure if they sold the card separately so you could upgrade they would also need to sell or at least package it with the card the CPU/GPU heatsink/heatpipe/fan to pull the additional heat out.
                Still it would be nice to have some better options to upgrade laptop graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                  The thing is, most laptop graphics are built in, will this ATi Mobility 4870 X2 be one that can be added later to your laptop? If my laptop could handle the heat this card would generate and the power it would need to operate I would love to get one for my laptop. I am new to laptops and don't know much even though I just built my own barebones laptop about a week ago but of course the heat would have to be an issue. So I figure if they sold the card separately so you could upgrade they would also need to sell or at least package it with the card the CPU/GPU heatsink/heatpipe/fan to pull the additional heat out.
                  Still it would be nice to have some better options to upgrade laptop graphics.
                  Generally, most laptops do not have replaceable graphics cards/chipsets. You would need to have one of those high-end gaming ones and I believe a mini PCI-E graphics slot with a removable add-on card.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i wonder how big the power brick will be since bricks use size for heat dissipation normally (more surface area = better cooling)... (actively cooled power brick?)