CPU Compatibility Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Compatibility Question

Well I am looking for a new CPU for my motherboard, and I want the best CPU I can find that can run good with my motherboard

These are my Motherboard Specs

You can find more info on my PC here

By the way my budget is $280

Much help would be appreciated

Re: CPU Compatibility Question

The specs page says the FSB only goes to 800mhz. All of the current C2D processors are 1066+. The only ones that are available retail in that FSB range are the celeron processors.

Don't know what you've got in there now, but there are some new E4500 processors on ebay for ~$100 that would work with your motherboard.

4500's would be 2.2ghz c2d processors, and I'm fairly certain that's the top end of what that board will take.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I would take your $280 budget and do a whole new mobo, ram and cpu deal instead of upgrading what you have.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view

Something like that linked is about $300 and brings you into a better spot. I didn't do much research on all the parts for compatability, features etc. but the idea is that with some shopping you could get a cheap combo that will be much better then a new cpu in your current board.

Comment

I would actually suggest if you can afford $280, you might want to just get a new motherboard CPU combo. You can get something like:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz --$165

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX $115 after rebates

They even have a special combo deal right now where if you buy both, you get an extra $15 off.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.160549

And that would let you spend $25 or so and upgrade to some faster memory as well.

The only issue is what size case you have. I looked at the link, but unless I missed it, it doesn't say if you have a full size case or not. It says your current motherboard is a micro-ATX, but sometimes they put those motherboards in cases that can fit a full ATX. If that's the case, you could always buy like a $30 case just to get you through till you have the cash for something better.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Im gonna get a Mirco ATX just to be on the safe side, so this is what im gonna get:

MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128357

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

Comment

Good choice on the CPU, not sure about the mobo, though Gigabyte makes good boards.

If need be you can always by a mid tower case for dirt cheap and get a regular size board (as Bamboo said). I only say that because you will have a wider range of mobos to pick from in standard ATX format, plus better cooling and less layout restrictions.

Comment

I agree with Long Bow. Staying m-ATX can be very limiting for future upgrades. The route will work, but just may mean you end up wishing you had gone with full ATX later.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X