Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring Acer Aspire One to Factory Defaults?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Acer Aspire One to Factory Defaults?

Has anyone figured out a way to restore XP to their AAO using the hidden partition?

I currently have Win7 Beta installed and wanted to switch back to XP. Unfortunately, I did a clean install, so I can't just do a revert.

If no one else has figured it out, then I'll just try copying the files from a XP Home DVD onto my 8 GB flash drive and boot loading it using F12.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Restoring Acer Aspire One to Factory Defaults?

Does this make any sense to you ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I am not sure about this but the if you had the option of burning back up disc you should have done that. I read that when Windows 7 Beta is installed it deletes the information that's needed to start the recovery process and the only way of restoring to factory defaults then is by ordering a new set of restoration disk.
      If Alt-F10 does not start the restoration service at boot then contacting Acer is the only thing I know to do UNESS you can find someone that will let you borrow their restoration disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
        I will try this in another 20 or so minutes (after I've backed up my data).

The DVD option isn't even an option as my AAO never shipped with a restoration DVD, only a quick start guide and a user manual (and of course the netbook).

I've already enabled D2D last night and disabled quick boot. I'll post back if it worked or not. If not, I'll give what I posted in the OP a try.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The Alt + F10 didn't work.

I'm going to go with my method tomorrow and start afresh. Unfortunately, I'll have to download SP2 and SP3.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Windows 7 will blow away and and all partitions when you tell it to do a clean install, including the hidden one.

So all you need to do is get a copy of XP Home, Slipstream SP3 into it, throw it on the flash drive, and give it the same key that's one the bottom. That should work. But unless there's a recovery image, there will no longer be a utility partition ;)

I'm sure there's a way to CREATE one and link it up in such a way that the BIOS option will boot into it same as factory, but I haven't the foggiest on going about that one.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
              Windows 7 will blow away and and all partitions when you tell it to do a clean install, including the hidden one.

So all you need to do is get a copy of XP Home, Slipstream SP3 into it, throw it on the flash drive, and give it the same key that's one the bottom. That should work. But unless there's a recovery image, there will no longer be a utility partition ;)

I'm sure there's a way to CREATE one and link it up in such a way that the BIOS option will boot into it same as factory, but I haven't the foggiest on going about that one.
              Darn. That explains why Alt + F10 didn't work for me.

Oh well, I'll get around to getting XP back on there. It will have to be the weekend since I lost most of today running around the city getting some chores and errands done.

And the "angry bee" fan noise suddenly came back yesterday while I was sitting in my animation class working with Flash. :(
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I downloaded this but I have yet to try it. I guess its worth a try.
                http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...hp?f=11&t=2445

Comment

Originally posted by Canada2005 View Post
                  I downloaded this but I have yet to try it. I guess its worth a try.
                  http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/v...hp?f=11&t=2445
                  Not an actual factory restoration disk but I guess it would get him back up and running with XP a little easier.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X