Looking to get a new HD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get a new HD

Hi all. I am looking into getting a new hd. My current raptor is filling up fast. With TW coming out next week I imagine I will only have about 5 or so gigs left on the 150 gig drive.

Originally I thought I would just get another raptor and raid 0 them, but I can't find the same model as mine at a decent priced. This is the model I have: Raptor 10000 rpm 16mb cache WD1500ADFD. If you could find one at decent price that would be awesome.

As far as a new drive, I will mainly be using it for my games. I'll keep the OS and related programs on the raptor. I've thought about one the SSD's but I keep reading good and bad things about the writing specs. I'm still confused as to whether or not one of the cheaper priced SSD's would be good for gaming. So suggestions as to whether or not it would be good, also which platter hd would be decent for games.

Also I have a large drive dedicated to backup and files, so that is taken care of.

THANKS for any help/suggestions!

Re: Looking to get a new HD

Putting the games on a fast drive like a raptor really won't help much, except in things like load times for levels. I would save the money and get a good WD or Seagate like 320gig drive for about $65 for your games and all extra programs, and just do a clean install and try to keep just the OS and bare ess. on the Raptor. That is my exact setup, and I usually load into PR by the time the clock has counted down like 5-6 sec.

If you do want to go the other route, the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB is about the fastest thing out there in all the reviews I've seen, at least as far as normal HDs. I still wouldn't get a SSD, unless you have tons of money to blow.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That is kinda what I thought. I was debating moving some of the games over to my storage drive, its fairly fast, but I'm not sure I want to use that one for anything but backup and file storage.

Comment

What about one of these just for OS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220341

Comment

My drive set up that I use is a WD 640gig AAKS for my OS and a WD 1000gig EAVS for storage/games etc....it is an extremly fast set up and cheap in price

OS drive: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...cid=HD.443.877

Storage: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...cid=HD.443.877
          |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
            What about one of these just for OS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220341
            Because reviews have shown that those drives arn't really very fast, and some are slower than normal drives.

Really, from the reviews I have read, if you are going to buy a SDD, and the only ones that are going to give to a noticeable boost are that new line from OCZ and the Intel ones.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here's what I do. I run 2 seagate 500 GB's drives in Raid 0 and an external 500gb+ for windows complete backup. 7200 RPM and 32mb cache. The raid is very fast.

Vista ultimate has the complete PC backup which I like but you can use any image tool to backup to an external. For the backup drive I have a regular internal drive and get a dejavu case to put it in with eSATA. There are lots of brands for external cases though to choose from. It's cheaper that way. It's also more stable because this drive only runs when you run the backup.

- -

Comment

I run two 7200rpm 160GB drives in a RAID1 stripe, and I personally cannot stand using most peoples' systems that only have a single drive setup. My system is just so much more responsive overall, with a RAID setup and isn't as prone to I/O seek hell.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

2 640gigs 32meg in a raid0
                  1 750gig internal data drive
                  4 1.5TB drives in a drobo.
                  2 500gig laptop external drives
                  1 160gig ipod (90gig ipod / 50gig storage)
                  4 8gig usb drives
                  2 8gig mspro duo

I have 400gigs free.

as soon as I can get 2 or 2.5TB drives, I am going to get another drobo I guess...

Video editing sucks the life out of hard drives.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Wow that is a ton of storage dog.

Comment

9.2TB... formats out to about 8.4TB

with a new drobo and 4 2.5TB drives, I will have 19.2TB formatted out to 17.8TB

storage is dirt cheap... grad it up every chance you get.... it sucks having 2 drives fail at the same time!
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Wow, thats sucks. Some people kinda chuckle a little when I tell them I have a storage drive in the pc, a backup usb drive, and I also backup to dvds. I go through some dvds but, sure beats losing a bunch of work, pics, and other stuff. Which reminds me, I just downloaded a ton of pics off my camera's flash card, its probably time to back up the pics again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X