DDR-3 prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR-3 prices

I am in the middle of an RMA on my ASUS motherboard, and I have a feeling they arn't going to have any more of the model I have that they can ship back to me, so just for the heck of it I looked at what other models I might try convincing them to replace it with. It seems the only one they offer now that has built in Wi-Fi are ones that run DDR3 memory.

So I decided to check out prices on DDR3, and was blown away at how much they have fallen in the last couple of months. There are tons of good deals with good 4 gig kits for not much more than the same DDR2 models. :icon_eek::icon_eek:

Pretty good news for anyone still trying to decide between motherboards that support DDR2 and DDR3.

Also just published is this article:

DDR3 Round-Up: Core i7 Performance Analysis

Our tests show that Intelís Core i7 platform, when equipped with triple-channel memory of any sort, has boatloads of bandwidth to utilize. While the platform is only officially rated to handle 1066 MHz DDR3 memory modules, we found in testing that the numbers really start to come alive once you hit the 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz range. Lower than this, and youíll be taking a slight performance hit. Above 1600 MHz and you start to see performance gains taper off.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: DDR-3 prices

Is it only the Core i7's running with DDR3?

Comment

Nope, there are Core2 motherboards that take DDR3 and there are a few Socket AM3 Phenom II chips and boards out as well.
      sigpic

Comment

What happened to your ASUS mobo Bam?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yea I am in the middle of piecing together an i7 920 build which I will OC to 4.2ghz and I decided to go with 12gigs of the following DDR3 and the price was great

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...id=RAM.346.673
          |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

@Acreo

This is part of a note I put in with the motherboard when I sent it back

For the past couple of weeks, I have all of a sudden started having a startup problem with my rig. It started off just happening once, then again a few days later, and then started happening everytime.

What happens is when I hit the power button, I hear things power up like normal, but then the fan on the gfx. card goes up to 100% full speed, and the computer won't post. It just sits there with a black screen. The first time it happened I just held the power button in to hard shut down, then hit the button again and it started fine. Now it takes me doing it over and over up to sometimes 10-15 times to get it to post.

I am trying to find some ideas on if my gfx. card is the issue, or the motherboard, etc.

Things I have done:
            Tried 2 different gfx. card drivers
            Updated the BIOS (there was 1 newer version out, though I have run fine for about a year with the one I had)
            Put a new cmos battery in and did the jumper
            Cleaned the inside with compressed air
            Tried reseating the gfx. card and memory, in case that was an issue
            Tried the gfx. card in the other PCI-x slot on the motherboard
            Tried a different power outlet from the PSU ( it is modular, so put it in a different socket)
            Heat isn't a problem, rig runs very cool

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just to keep this DDR3 review in the same thread as the other one:

The Ultimate Intel Core i7 Memory Performance Guide

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X