Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer NIC creditability?

http://www.killernic.com/ads/lags-wo...FQEpGgodJzJimg

I heard about these before and never invested any time to research them. Doesn't seen to be to popular as there are very few reviews. Some say they see a difference like night and day. Other say they are worse on ping times. Anyone have insight?
    The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
    mutual respect for your fellow gamers
    and where all members
    would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
    Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Re: Killer NIC creditability?

All of the reviews that I have read in the past, including those from the usual sites (AnandTech, etc) have all pretty much unanimously agreed:

If there IS somehow a performance improvement, it's not by much, and certainly not worth the money.
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
      All of the reviews that I have read in the past, including those from the usual sites (AnandTech, etc) have all pretty much unanimously agreed:

If there IS somehow a performance improvement, it's not by much, and certainly not worth the money.
      Agreed.

The only time you'll see a boost is when you are downloading/uploading a large file(s) on the machine the Killer NIC is installed on.

The more recent routers have more advanced QoS (Quality of Service) filters that does mostly what the Killer NIC does (at the router level).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the reviews i have seen state that large files actually take LONGER because the QoS and TCP/IP stack prioritize ping and latency over throughput. but you can see a whopping (sarcasm) 8-10% ping decrease (which i can beleive.... 50 ping vs 55 ping.... it isnt much, but when playing MMO games like WOW, which i once played... normal ping is 200, so if your ping went down to 170, i can understand why some people would buy this gimmick) if my nics fried in my computer, and i happen to have found a $200 gift card that could only be spent on nic cards, id buy it..... other than that, no thanks

and like AA said above, most routers do what this does now adays (especially mine, because i threw linux on my linksys router... it is smokin fast now, throughput went up, and ping went down.... i had a solid 66 ping before the forceware, it was 66... never lower, and randomly higher during load times... now it is a solid 57, never lower, rarely higher)
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

See here and here for other threads.

You hard earned cash is probably best used elsewhere. How much control does killer NIC have over routing ?

Spend the money on a faster CPU/GPU.

11 ae-84-84.csw3.Washington1.Level3.net
          12 ae-3-89.edge2.Washington3.Level3.net
          13 PEER-1-NETW.edge2.Washington3.Level3.net
          14 10ge.ten1-1.wdc-sp2-cor-1.peer1.net
          15 216.187.120.234 (216.187.120.234)
          16 bf2sb.tacticalgamer.com (64.34.161.157) 28.714 ms 29.24 ms 24.664 ms (0% loss)

11 ae-82-82.csw3.Washington1.Level3.net
          12 ae-3-89.edge2.Washington3.Level3.net
          13 PEER-1-NETW.edge2.Washington3.Level3.net
          14 10ge.ten1-1.wdc-sp2-cor-1.peer1.net
          15 216.187.120.234 (216.187.120.234)
          16 bf2sb.tacticalgamer.com (64.34.161.157) 24.920 ms 25.932 ms 24.502 ms (0% loss)

And QoS is not widely deployed in public networks (if at all).

Here's one review.

edit: some bathroom reading on TCP offload .
          edit: Here's a server NIC that uses TOE

DB
          Last edited by Dick Blonov; 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Read this today and thought about this thread.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Yeah, there have been articles everywhere today like Engadget, but all of the reader comments have trashed it. One guy said he had one, but didn't notice any difference with or without.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I don't know why anyone would waste their money on this or that Physx card.

Comment

Well networking is an area that a lot people don't know too much. When started getting into building computer I looked into both the physx and killer nic cards. Didn't take much research to rule them out though, but there is a lot who don't research, so these guys stay in business.

Comment

I just don't see how a card is going to help out your ping. Maybe the program it may use to make adjustments to settings in Windows which I think somewhere on the internet there is already information to make these settings without spending money.
                    I think a persons ping in game would mainly come from how well your ISP is and the connection or quality of the line(s) that are used between you and your ISP's actual service location. Of course if any settings within Windows had been changed or other programs that may be also using the line would also effect speed. I mean if you pay for a 6MB down/256K up then it looks like you might get a little lower or possibly a little higher than what you pay for, a card is not going to allow faster than your ISP is going to allow you to have. ISP may get a little upset if you were getting way better speeds than you were paying for.

Comment

I would guess that the 10% faster thing that they are talking about is the time it takes the card to recieve and transmit info. The time it takes a card to send that information is so small that it should be negable time differance.

More than likely they set up a network with 2 computers right beside each other and test with there card and then with another and thats how they get that 10% differance so the total time between pings is smaller makeing the % that they bring it down seem larger. That is if they are not just out right lieing.
                      sigpic

Comment

If the card offers any edge at all, it's to competition LAN players who need sub-millisecond performance advantages. For Internet players, the advantage is pointless. You might as well put a formula car wing on the back of an off-road car to make it run through the jungle faster.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          You might as well put a formula car wing on the back of an off-road car to make it run through the jungle faster.
                          or a honda civic

Comment

Originally posted by machowner View Post
                            or a honda civic
                            Rofl. Good luck getting a Civic through the brush.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Rofl. Good luck getting a Civic through the brush.
                              Unless it's modded of course

DB

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X