looking for a cheap build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a cheap build

i have an old gateway computer i am looking to upgrade. The case is an extremely well built case (this was back when gateway was..... king imho, and not a best buy brand like now) with a p3 866mhz... what im looking for now is the following parts. it wont be a gaming rig at all, but a file server, and a test system for linux, and windows server 2008 (it will run DNS, AD, and whatever else i deem good practice)

motherboard (sata and raid are a must) atx
    cpu (dual core, possibly a quad)
    ram 4gb based on price
    budget graphic card does not matter one bit

id like to go dual core, if the price is right, quad... and my ballpark budget is around 2 or 3 hund

i wouldnt even mind using used parts if yall got any.....
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: looking for a cheap build

Ad?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would just keep your eyes open on e-bay and any forums for used parts if you only have a $300 budget.

I have no idea what specs are needed for that kind of setup, I have never heard of these "non-gaming" computers you speak of?:row__593:

Comment

ad= active domain, basically if you have to log into a network to access your computer at work, its an active domain controller...
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

active directory.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
            ad= active domain, basically if you have to log into a network to access your computer at work, its an active domain controller...
            Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            active directory.
            Thanks for clarifying the term Ddog. Makes more sense now. :row__582: (Wikipedia had Active Directory not Active Domain.)

You really won't need much more than a dual-core CPU and 2 GBs of RAM, unless you plan on running resource intensive apps (like hosting a game server in addition to the above).

Your best bet is to just build one from scratch. You could spend around $300-400 for a nice dual-core rig and still put in a 1 TB HDD. Then just pop-in the Linux distro you want (Mint, Xubuntu, Fedora, etc).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Do you need drives (HDD and DVD-ROM) and a power supply? A Phenom II tri-core and an AMD 790GX motherboard might be perfect for you. No video card needed (the integrated one on the motherboard is actually somewhat decent for onboard) and with RAM (and without the other parts I think you might need), you might just slide in under your budget.

CPU:$119: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103648

Motherboard:$104.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157141

RAM:$35.99 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227377
              sigpic

Comment

Listen, for sbs, a p4 with 1gig ram is plenty... once the server is up, it doesn't crunch a whole lot...

I have sbs2003 on an amd 3500+ w/ 2gig, an 80gig os drive and a 400gig data/exchange/backup drive.
                before that I ran sbs 2000 on a p4 2.4 w/ 1gig, 40gig os drive and a 250gig data.
                never had a hiccup.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X