Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer wont turn on.. Power Supply?? Off On Switch??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer wont turn on.. Power Supply?? Off On Switch??

So I get home today, push the button, NADA...

I look at the power supply, the Green LED comes on, on the back of the unit but the computer does not come on..

I recently had to replace a Cable Modem, so part of me thinks that the power supply got fried too... Then again, I started to pull the thing out to take it up to the geek squad to see if they could test it and was looking at all the connections I would have to undo and saw the fact that the LED would come on when I plugged it in and started to hop that it was the on off switch..

Opinions??

Its a POS HP Dual core about 2 1/2 years old..

Re: Computer wont turn on.. Power Supply?? Off On Switch??

Check the connection from the front panel power button to the motherboard. If it isn't that I'd take the motherboard out and check to make sure a screw or some other metal object didn't fall behind the motherboard causing it to short out.

If you want to test the PSU to make sure it will at least turn on then unplug it, unplug the 24 pin main power connection, unplug the 4-pin CPU power connection, take a paperclip or piece of wire, stick one end of the paperclip in the green wire of the 24-pin connection and the other in the black wire that is directly next to it on the row.

Here is a guide to it:
    http://www.hardwaremods.com/guides/p...u_jumping.html

If your fans turn on and peripherals seem to be functioning then it may be the motherboard and not the PSU

Comment

Best buy tested PSU they say its good, will check the switch connection, but im afraid its the MOBO

Comment

Sounds like it's the switch or MOBO. I blew a MOBO the other day by plugging in a SATA cable. Seriously.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

look around the power connectors on the MOBO are they black or anything...did you smell anything burnt when you opend it. Ive had the same thing happen, pulled everything out MOBO included put it all back in and the damn thing started right up....no clue.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Do you get any power at first power switch touch? Like a split second fan speed up? I had a hard drive die recently and pc would not power on with it plugged in (tried in 3 machines). It could be any hardware really causing a short. At first I thought it was PSU or mobo also but narrowed it down to HD. Just thought I would share that.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

No LED, no nada..
              No LED on MOBO showing,
              No fan
              No burned smell,

The side of the case is allways off...
              There was some dust..
              Windows updated prior to shutdown last night,
              But nothing out of the ordinary has happened lately..

My small monitor is starting to go... its the same age
              The had to get a new cable modem yesterday..
              Everything is on a power strip..
              Possibly a voltage issue with the house??
              Too much... Not enough??

Anyhow, I will be checking the switch, and if all else fails, check New Egg and see if I cant find a MOBO that will work with my current setup and just swap them out.

Dont really have the resources to build a whole new rig right now, and frankly Im a bit intimidated by it. I would like to have this one up and running before I start on building a new one, as it would be a nice spare computer on my 70 inch TV in the Bedroom....

Thanks for the input guys..
              When I resolve this Ill be sure to post up..

Comment

I've actually had a power switch go bad before. I ghetto rigged up a new one with a cheapy switch from a local electronic parts store. Worked great after that...until I bought a new case, which of course had a nice new switch. Haha.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                  Windows updated prior to shutdown last night,
                  It's Microsoft's fault!

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                  as it would be a nice spare computer on my 70 inch TV in the Bedroom....
                  70" !?!? Just what are you watching in there?!?!
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Did you try the computer on a different wall outlet in your house?
                    Although I suppose if you brought it to BestBuy they've already seen that the mobo isn't lighting up or anything

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                      Sounds like it's the switch or MOBO. I blew a MOBO the other day by plugging in a SATA cable. Seriously.
                      Wear a anti-static strap. They sell them for a reason. That way you won't go and fry crucial PC components.

Have you tried booting with 1 stick of RAM? Does the hard drive vibrate or spin-up when you hit the power switch?

It could by HDD, mobo, RAM, power switch, CPU, etc. You'll need to strip it down to barebones and test it from there.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        Wear a anti-static strap. They sell them for a reason. That way you won't go and fry crucial PC components.
                        Well I wasn't wearing a strap, but was holding the side of the case and thus grounded.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Did they test the PSU under load? I've had several Power supplys pass a bench test, self start test and give out good voltages to a VM but still be unable to turn on a tower. It happens most often with the older HP and Dell pre-built machines.

If they just hooked it up to a meter and told you it was good it could still be the power supply that is your issue.
                          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                            Well I wasn't wearing a strap, but was holding the side of the case and thus grounded.
                            Not necessarily. Your case should also be grounded (to a wall outlet ground is the best) or else you're not really grounded.

You can read more about how to properly ground yourself.

I usually wear the wrist strap and have the clip plugged into the grounding hole on a wall outlet.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Pancho: Does the BIOS post; does your motherboard make a 'beep' at all? Sounds like a fried motherboard, as the last few dozen posts seem to point out.

I hate that feeling where you hit the on button, but it doesn't turn on. It's something you can never be prepared for, and a man should never have to experience in his lifetime.

R.I.P Old motherboard.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X